PDA

View Full Version : '65 Topps Banks

jchcollins
08-14-2016, 09:32 PM
Random discussion starter: Does this card look "weird" to you because of the profile shot and close cropping? I've seen that mentioned in another thread somewhere, to the effect that people were disappointed that Ernie's pic wasn't the more traditional profile shot or some batting or action stance. One commenter even described the picture by saying that his head looked like it was a balloon in a parade.

I happen to really like this card, but probably mainly because I'm a Cubs fan and the '65 Topps set is my favorite of the decade. But that being said, the picture doesn't bother me - I think it's kind of neat. That famous "Let's Play Two" smile is still on display...:) Thoughts?

FourStrikes
08-14-2016, 10:19 PM
Random discussion starter: Does this card look "weird" to you because of the profile shot and close cropping? I've seen that mentioned in another thread somewhere, to the effect that people were disappointed that Ernie's pic wasn't the more traditional profile shot or some batting or action stance. One commenter even described the picture by saying that his head looked like it was a balloon in a parade.

I happen to really like this card, but probably mainly because I'm a Cubs fan and the '65 Topps set is my favorite of the decade. But that being said, the picture doesn't bother me - I think it's kind of neat. That famous "Let's Play Two" smile is still on display...:) Thoughts?

agreed...great card / image of Ernie - LET'S PLAY TWO!

ALR-bishop
08-15-2016, 07:08 AM
If you painted him gold this pose would have been perfect for the Embossed set that same year

Johnny630
08-15-2016, 07:27 AM
John I'm with you, I really like this card. I have one of this same card signed in blue ink, Ernie Banks 1967 Cubs.

stlcardsfan
08-15-2016, 07:34 AM
Even as a Cardinal fan I have always thought this card was cool. Ernie is hard to dislike!

ALR-bishop
08-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Even as a Cardinal fan I have always thought this card was cool. Ernie is hard to dislike!

+ 1

DBesse27
08-15-2016, 09:18 AM
If you painted him gold this pose would have been perfect for the Embossed set that same year

That's the exact thought I had!

ALR-bishop
08-15-2016, 10:15 AM
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/floAAOSwuAVW0ivn/s-l500.jpg

jchcollins
08-15-2016, 02:44 PM
I had moved some things around recently and wound up buying two '65 Ernies (both about EX-MT) - figuring I'd just keep the one I liked best and get rid of the other one somewhere down the line later on. Now that they're here, I think I've decided I like the card so much I'll just keep both of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-15-2016, 06:03 PM
John, I am a Cardinals fan but like Ernie a lot. As a young collector, this is the Banks card that always made me stop and stare...just something about it. Anyway, now I am building this set. I haven't found the one for my set yet, but I can't wait until I get it!

jchcollins
08-15-2016, 06:53 PM
John, I am a Cardinals fan but like Ernie a lot. As a young collector, this is the Banks card that always made me stop and stare...just something about it. Anyway, now I am building this set. I haven't found the one for my set yet, but I can't wait until I get it!

I'm a Cubs fan, but because of guys like Sandberg and Dawson and Grace. Ernie had already been retired for six years by the time I was born, but of course I got familiar with his generation of greatness rather quickly. That is one thing I like about collecting the vintage Cubbies, other than some of the early Banks cards, everybody including Ron Santo and Billy Williams remains very affordable...

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-15-2016, 06:58 PM
I'm a Cubs fan, but because of guys like Sandberg and Dawson and Grace. Ernie had already been retired for six years by the time I was born, but of course I got familiar with his generation of greatness rather quickly. That is one thing I like about collecting the vintage Cubbies, other than some of the early Banks cards, everybody including Ron Santo and Billy Williams remains very affordable...

I grew up watching the Cubs as well...Sandberg, Dawson, Grace, etc. I will always have a soft spot for them.

pclpads
08-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Not to be a contrarian, but I always felt this was one his worst looking cards. I mean why the super tight close-up where even his hat is cropped? Why didn't the photog zoom in even tighter to show all the pores in his face? Sorry, just a lousy image of Mr. Cub. :(

jchcollins
08-16-2016, 07:45 AM
Not to be a contrarian, but I always felt this was one his worst looking cards. I mean why the super tight close-up where even his hat is cropped? Why didn't the photog zoom in even tighter to show all the pores in his face? Sorry, just a lousy image of Mr. Cub. :(

Valid opinion, and why I posted the thread. Hard to say 50 years on why Topps used that shot, I would imagine. I don't know, but it's possible that the original pic and variants of it are still around somewhere, sometimes this kind of thing comes up in the Topps vault auctions, though to my knowledge nothing like that exists for this particular card. Interesting different collectors and their take on things like this. Another example is the '73 Topps Johnny Bench card, which is also one of my favorites. The card pictures Bench in full catching gear, running almost into the other team's dugout to catch a foul ball. His back is turned and you can't see his face at all. I love the card, it's a great action shot - but was surprised to learn recently just in looking online that there are many collectors that have quite a disdain for it - including Bench himself apparently, who thinks it's so bad that he refuses to sign it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RayBShotz
08-17-2016, 07:55 PM
Great pose! Love this card. Yet another unique moment with the Topps photographers.
There are a lot of great Topps Banks cards through the years.
RayB

Neal
08-17-2016, 08:02 PM
Weird? Not at all

Poor choice of image? Yes.

Banks is one of my all-timers that I have never seen play. I love his cards, but this one would only be in my collection if I collected Banks, the 65 set, or if it was given to me as a gift from a friend!

JollyElm
08-17-2016, 08:07 PM
I've always loved Ernie Banks, but that card always reminded me of the big heads the costumed characters wear while walking around Disney World.