PDA

View Full Version : 1960 Topps

tachyonbb
08-14-2016, 08:35 AM
The first set I ever built was a 1960 Topps set when I was 10. Well, all but the Yankees as I hated the Yankees. My 1960-1966 sets, the 4 shoe boxes of Goudey cards my uncle gave me were all tossed by my mom when I went to college. (she did save all my sophomore year English notes).
Anyway I am now rebuilding the set, planning on giving it to my grandson as he now collects K.C Royals cards. He was amazed when I showed him a K.C. Athletics card.
I have acquired most of the commons. I have a few stars which I acquired from a person I trust. Now I am on to the rare cards (Yastrzemski, Mantle etc). I know that there are reprints of these cards. Any advice on how to spot the reprints of these cards? Any tells? Looking on the bay at cards labeled reprints it is difficult to tell them from the real cards.

ALR-bishop
08-14-2016, 09:40 AM
Bruce-- the 1960 Topps set was the 2nd one I completed ( 1959 was the first).

Did you know one of the rarest of all Topps cards is a 1960 card, and also involves the As. A proof or variation card of Kent Hadley, issued as a Yankee in the regular set can be found with an As logo. The hated Yankee or the beloved A :-)

Your Mom likely treasured those notes more than the cards. Maybe some day your kids and grandkids will as well

Good luck on completing the set

Harliduck
08-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Yes...I just checked my Kent card #102 in my set...haha...nope, I don't have it. Al is the best...:)

I finished my second 1960 set a couple months ago, I really do love it. I love the back of the manager cards, they really have that vintage historic look to them and a link to early 50's issues. The high numbers aren't cheap, but not break the bank like later 60's sets. The All Stars are tough, and super cool looking, with the Mays AS card my favorite.

In hand a 1960 card has a unique feel to me, the card stock is not like any other. I am probably wrong on that, but that's what I feel, so I am guessing in hand a reprint would be easy to detect. You can buy graded at any condition for the stars if you are too worried about it. I did for Clemente and Mantle, and promptly freed them. There are a lot of pressed, trimmed, ect cards in raw out there for those two, especially Mantle.

Good luck in your quest!

mebu22
09-21-2018, 07:10 AM
Bruce... what cards are you missing on the 1960 set? I'm selling a bunch for a friend who collected both the 1959 and 1960 sets as a kid. We sold most of the commons... but I have a majority of the stars...direct message me what you're looking for and maybe we can work something out.

stlcardsfan
09-21-2018, 07:16 AM
Bruce, I don't think you will run across many counterfeit cards in the 1960 set. If you are buying on Ebay just make sure they are reputable sellers with decent feedback. I always like to make sure they have sold other vintage cards of the same era. Also, if there are multiple bids on auction style cards you are probably OK. Good luck!

BLongley
09-21-2018, 08:49 AM
FYI, Bruce's post was from 2 years ago...so who knows what if anything he needs now. I don't know Bruce and not trying to speak for him, but I wanted to make sure you realized the date of his post in case you never hear back....

Bruce... what cards are you missing on the 1960 set? I'm selling a bunch for a friend who collected both the 1959 and 1960 sets as a kid. We sold most of the commons... but I have a majority of the stars...direct message me what you're looking for and maybe we can work something out.

ALR-bishop
09-21-2018, 01:14 PM
His profile shows he was on the board today. You can pm him

MarcosCards
09-21-2018, 04:47 PM
Yes, realizing it’s an older post.... Without a doubt, losing 1960s sets to mom’s purging is very sad, but what caught my attention was “...four shoe boxes of Goudey cards my uncle gave me...” OUCH!