PDA

View Full Version : Cracking out BVG cases

Edwolf1963
08-12-2016, 12:40 PM
... should be an Olympic event

MikeGarcia
08-12-2016, 12:59 PM

..wear eye protection and close any doors...

whitehse
08-12-2016, 01:59 PM
Use a Dremel tool with a cutting tip. I found this is the easiest way.

frankbmd
08-12-2016, 02:03 PM
I found tin snips and a screwdriver essential when I won my Gold medal.

whitehse
08-12-2016, 03:34 PM

Were these items left over from your surgeon days? :)

mechanicalman
08-12-2016, 04:16 PM

Brilliant. Could not be more true.

Funny, all that work and a BVG 6 became a PSA 2. Probably wasn't worth taking plastic shards to the face.

Edwolf1963
08-12-2016, 06:36 PM

Needle nose pliers cracking/breaking off one of the ends. Flat head screw-driver prying open that bomb-proof plastic case. Then, don't forget, the precision scissors to delicately cut that soft plastic sleeve.

Bronze medal at best :rolleyes:

conor912
08-12-2016, 06:50 PM

No, seriously. Wear goggles.

ALR-bishop
08-12-2016, 08:24 PM
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/11D6C3B9-112F-4989-A089-4416D6D51BB1_zpsnrkdudw4.jpg

kmac32
08-13-2016, 06:20 PM
Were these items left over from your surgeon days? :)

Hacksaw worked well for my silver medal

Yoda
08-15-2016, 01:27 PM
In my own personal experience, which was severely curtailed by the loss of 4 fingers in an unfortunate accident, the use of exactly 2mm of high explosive plastique in the form of a shaped charge will usually result in a controlled explosion whereby the side panels of the case fall away, leaving the card undamaged. However, never attempt to use TNT as a replacement for plastique, as the desired result will not be achieved. Of course, use caution at all times.

ls7plus
08-15-2016, 02:59 PM

I've never owned one, but it certainly looks like it should be!

regards,

Larry

Dpeck100
08-15-2016, 03:14 PM
Cracking a Beckett case is incredibly easy. My video on YouTube shows you in my view the safest and most efficient method.

Now cracking the new PSA case. That is tough!

Sean1125
08-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Cracking a Beckett case is incredibly easy. My video on YouTube shows you in my view the safest and most efficient method.

I searched "Dpeck Crack"

Ha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzrEsDe7TqQ

irv
08-15-2016, 06:57 PM

I am glad to see the slab has to be ruined in order to get a card out.

With PSA's, the way I understand it, based on all the current fakes that are slabbed, is the slab will not be destroyed, which makes it the easiest slab to place a counterfeit card into.

What is different/tougher about the new PSA slab?

Dpeck100
08-16-2016, 04:53 AM
The slab is thicker and there isn't a seam that runs down the side. In order to get the card out a cut must be made. They also don't pull apart very easily.

Using the method in the video will work but not safely. I cracked out a few low dollar cards and it was an event. One cut wasn't enough and there was a struggle to pull the two pieces apart. I don't have the confidence to crack out a higher dollar card. The old slab lifted easily like the BGS slab in the video so the risk of damage was minimal.

GAI is hands down the hardest.

irv
08-16-2016, 05:27 AM
The slab is thicker and there isn't a seam that runs down the side. In order to get the card out a cut must be made. They also don't pull apart very easily.

Using the method in the video will work but not safely. I cracked out a few low dollar cards and it was an event. One cut wasn't enough and there was a struggle to pull the two pieces apart. I don't have the confidence to crack out a higher dollar card. The old slab lifted easily like the BGS slab in the video so the risk of damage was minimal.

GAI is hands down the hardest.

Thanks for the info. I assume you didn't take a vid cracking the new PSA slab?

Dpeck100
08-16-2016, 05:37 AM
No.

I got tired of getting into debates on CU about how easy it was and my brother was showing me his new phone so I said hang tight on hitting the pool I want you to record a video of me cracking a card out real quick.

I uploaded it to YouTube to show the board and surprisingly it still gets viewed in the range of 300 times a month. A lot of collectors out there.

Leon
08-16-2016, 05:51 AM
Good stuff David. BTW, even the Beckett guys don't have a magic "cracking" machine at their office. They do it much like you do from what I am told. The way you did it is also the way I have cracked the few I have done. That method also works for PSA and SGC slabs from my experiences.

No.

I got tired of getting into debates on CU about how easy it was and my brother was showing me his new phone so I said hang tight on hitting the pool I want you to record a video of me cracking a card out real quick.

I uploaded it to YouTube to show the board and surprisingly it still gets viewed in the range of 300 times a month. A lot of collectors out there.

brob28
08-16-2016, 02:22 PM
Use a Dremel tool with a cutting tip. I found this is the easiest way.

Yes I agree!!

Vintagevault13
08-16-2016, 06:52 PM

Just set free a 1973 Topps Mike Schmidt in a BVG slab. Used the exact process in your video and it worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk