PDA

View Full Version : Baseball's Great HOF Cards - 1948 vs. 1974

Buythatcard
08-10-2016, 05:45 PM
I recently picked up a small lot of these cards from an Auction House. I was told some of them were from 1948 and some were from 1974. As far as I can tell, they all look the same to me. The card stock is similar to other Exhibit cards from the 47-66 series. I have been researching this on the Internet but still see no differences.

I am showing you 4 of the cards. I was told that at least 1 of the 4 was from the 48 set.

I am asking the experts out there to see if they see any differences at all.
I didn't spend much money on it so I won't be upset if they are all from the 74 set. But I would love to figure this out.:confused:

savedfrommyspokes
08-10-2016, 07:53 PM
I recently picked up a small lot of these cards from an Auction House. I was told some of them were from 1948 and some were from 1974. As far as I can tell, they all look the same to me. The card stock is similar to other Exhibit cards from the 47-66 series. I have been researching this on the Internet but still see no differences.

I am showing you 4 of the cards. I was told that at least 1 of the 4 was from the 48 set.

I am asking the experts out there to see if they see any differences at all.
I didn't spend much money on it so I won't be upset if they are all from the 74 set. But I would love to figure this out.:confused:

The SCD VBC mentions that while both issues have the same design/size, the 74s are printed on a thinner, slicker cardboard stock. Also, the 74s can be found printed in black, blue, brown print. Finally, the checklist for the 20 different 74 cards only includes one of the cards you have pictured...the Wagner card. The 77s are also printed on high grade glossy stock and do include the other 3 players you have pictured. So, if all 4 you have pictured are the same, you likely have the 48s(in the scan they appear consistent with the copies I have from 48).

bnorth
08-10-2016, 08:02 PM
I could easily be wrong but I thought the 77 reprints were the ones available in different colors. I also don't think Ruth was available in the 74 set.

Buythatcard
08-10-2016, 08:14 PM
The Wagner card has the same card stock as all the other cards that I picked up so I would think that the Wagner is also from the 48 set.

The 77 set was easy to distinguish by the PRTD. that appears below the left column. Below the right column U.S.A appears. See the scan of Warren Spahn.