PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Neil Armstrong...what do I have here?

darkhorse9
08-09-2016, 06:50 PM
I need some knowledge since I'm not a big autograph collector.

Many years ago my father worked for Hilton Hotels. Around 1976 Neil Armstrong stayed there and gave my father a handwritten thank you note when he left.

I know Armstrong is a very collectable signature, but what about the rest of the hand written note? I've never seen anything like it elsewhere. I know it's certainly real because I was standing there when he handed it to my dad.

Can anyone give me an idea on the value of something like this? What do I do with it? Should I frame it? Does it need to be encapsulated or just authenticated?

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz44/Mark_Fricke/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160717_110529598_zpsornlxsgv.jpg

mcgwirecom
08-09-2016, 07:37 PM
thats nice. You could mat it out with a nice astronaut photo of him. I would think thats a $500 signature. If Richard Simon will chime in. I'm not real current on price.

Michael B
08-09-2016, 07:39 PM
I am sure many others are thinking the same thing, but I will say it. Why on God's green earth would you get it 'opinionated'? You, me and the tree know it is genuine. Why have some hump put their silly sticker on this and ruin it? One of the best space people is on here and I am sure Steve 'Mr. Zipper' will offer his opinion gratis as he is that type of person. You could probably deal with him privately as to value, etc.

It is one beautiful signature of Mr. Armstrong. Strictly as a signature and not the medium, it probably does not get better than that one.

David Atkatz
08-09-2016, 08:06 PM
thats nice. You could mat it out with a nice astronaut photo of him. I would think thats a $500 signature. If Richard Simon will chime in. I'm not real current on price.That's not a signature. It's an "ALS"--an "autograph letter signed." An Armstrong ALS would probably sell for $2000-$3000.

gnaz01
08-09-2016, 08:08 PM
That's not a signature. It's an "ALS"--an "autograph letter signed." An Armstrong ALS would probably sell for $2000-$3000.

David beat me to it...... That's nice

Mr. Zipper
08-09-2016, 08:29 PM
I would think thats a $500 signature.

You are way low. This is a prime and very uncommon full name signature.

While the content is routine, the signature is highly desirable. And it is entirely in Armstrong's hand.

This gentleman contacted me previously for an email opinion a while ago and I provided him with my opinion as to authenticity and value. My sense is he wanted it encapsulated. While I'd be honored to write a letter for this, I do not place stickers on items or encapsulate.

mattjc1983
08-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Congrats on this piece; what a cool thing to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Zipper
08-09-2016, 08:34 PM
That's not a signature. It's an "ALS"--an "autograph letter signed." An Armstrong ALS would probably sell for $2000-$3000.

I think you would be right for an Apollo era ALS on NASA letterhead. Post NASA, non-space content on unrelated stationary would be less in my opinion.

btcarfagno
08-09-2016, 08:54 PM
You are way low. This is a prime and very uncommon full name signature.

While the content is routine, the signature is highly desirable. And it is entirely in Armstrong's hand.

This gentleman contacted me previously for an email opinion a while ago and I provided him with my opinion as to authenticity and value. My sense is he wanted it encapsulated. While I'd be honored to write a letter for this, I do not place stickers on items or encapsulate.

I was going to say that it looks like a full name and I don't recall having seen one before. That's tremendous.

Tom C

David Atkatz
08-10-2016, 10:03 AM
I was going to say that it looks like a full name and I don't recall having seen one before.Here's a full full-name signature, Tom:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/datkatz/armstrongins.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/datkatz/media/armstrongins.jpg.html)

thenavarro
08-10-2016, 06:09 PM
I used to have 2 or 3 fullname ones on documents that Richard sold me years and years ago. I believe they dealt with medical examinations if memory serves me correctly. That's a cool letter you have there.

Edited: just saw Davids piece above. That might have been one of them or very very similar. That looks very familiar and mine were likely the same type of documents. David, did you pick that up in the late 90's or early 2000's? Did you buy it from me if you remember?

RichardSimon
08-10-2016, 07:56 PM
I sold a couple of VA docs but not sure if they were medical ones or insurance ones. I also had Ted Williams, Joe D., Bobby Thomson and a few others.
They were all signed with full names or middle initial, Theodore Samuel, Joseph P. or Paul I forget, etc.
I still have Thomson in my collection.

David Atkatz
08-11-2016, 12:28 AM
How did you come by those Veteran's Administration documents, Richard?

RichardSimon
08-11-2016, 07:51 AM
One of my good friends on 54 told me that David has posted this question for me on this thread. Since I have him on block I did not see it.
I bought those docs at the Manhattan Antiques Center from a dealer in that mall or did I break into the VA in the middle of the night and steal them?? :D.

David Atkatz
08-11-2016, 08:37 AM
...or did I ... steal them?? :D.Someone did. I'm sure you realized that when you purchased them for resale.

RichardSimon
08-11-2016, 08:47 AM
David,
I am honored once again that you are up at 2:30 in the morning to post a question about me. What an obsession it is. Scary actually. It has lasted for years.
I certainly knew it was possible but old papers, contracts and letters are disposed of all the time. There are numerous legit stories in the hobby of people finding things in dumpsters that were tossed by various entities.
They were in a showcase and I bought them. Period. End of story.
Apparently you might own one now. If you bought one yourself did you think it might be stolen?
Or perhaps that document is "not yours."
Once a PITA, always a PITA.

RichardSimon
08-11-2016, 08:49 AM
Bye David. Back on block again.
And I have told my friend to not tell me anything else that comes out of your keyboard.

darkhorse9
08-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Wow, this took a turn I didn't expect. Sorry to dredge up old wounds.

I was just curious for input about what I had....not really interested in old debates. If anyone has input on the original item in question I would appreciate getting back on topic.

David Atkatz
08-11-2016, 11:58 AM
I certainly knew it was possible but old papers, contracts and letters are disposed of all the time. There are numerous legit stories in the hobby of people finding things in dumpsters that were tossed by various entities.Keep telling yourself that. I'm sure you'll come to believe it.

Apparently you might own one now. If you bought one yourself did you think it might be stolen?Not when I purchased it. From you. But it certainly has crossed my mind since then.

David Atkatz
08-11-2016, 12:55 PM
I was just curious for input about what I had....not really interested in old debates. If anyone has input on the original item in question I would appreciate getting back on topic.There's not much more to tell, Mark. It's an ALS, meaning a signed letter written entirely in the hand of the signer. Steve Zarelli--who is the acknowledged expert in space-related autographs--told you that it's not a particularly valuable ALS, as it's post-NASA, on "foreign" letterhead, and is of mundane content. Unlike the DS (document signed) pictured above, your letter has immaculate provenance (history), though. I'm sure Steve could give you a good estimate of its value.

packs
08-11-2016, 02:29 PM
You said it was worth between $2,000 and $3,000. I'd say that's particularly valuable, no?

David Atkatz
08-11-2016, 03:32 PM
You said it was worth between $2,000 and $3,000. I'd say that's particularly valuable, no?Steve disagreed with that valuation. I trust Steve.

darkhorse9
08-11-2016, 03:38 PM
There's not much more to tell, Mark. It's an ALS, meaning a signed letter written entirely in the hand of the signer. Steve Zarelli--who is the acknowledged expert in space-related autographs--told you that it's not a particularly valuable ALS, as it's post-NASA, on "foreign" letterhead, and is of mundane content. Unlike the DS (document signed) pictured above, your letter has immaculate provenance (history), though. I'm sure Steve could give you a good estimate of its value.

Got it.....thanks for hijacking my thread, making it about an old gripe you had and then deciding when the discussion was over.

I'm sure everyone here appreciates your contributions.

RichardSimon
08-11-2016, 04:02 PM
Wow, this took a turn I didn't expect. Sorry to dredge up old wounds.

Not a problem. Don't sweat the tiny stuff.
Enjoy that piece.

David Atkatz
08-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Got it.....thanks for hijacking my thread, making it about an old gripe you had and then deciding when the discussion was over.

I'm sure everyone here appreciates your contributions.My contributions?There are only two real, explanatory, information-bearing contributions on this entire thread. Mine and Steve Zarelli's. I'm the guy who told you what the piece was in the first place. What the fuck more do you want to know (besides the value)? What color shirt Armstrong was wearing when he wrote it?

darkhorse9
08-11-2016, 04:54 PM
My contributions?There are only two real, explanatory, information-bearing contributions on this entire thread. Mine and Steve Zarelli's. I'm the guy who told you what the piece was in the first place. What the fuck more do you want to know (besides the value)? What color shirt Armstrong was wearing when he wrote it?

Kind of like there's nothing more to say about an old accusation of theft towards another board member, yet here we are.

I've never met you and know nothing about your beef. I will note that you posted more about that than my topic.

I now know what I was needing to know about my item, and perhaps more about what I need to know about some people on thus board.

Thank you Steve for your input and to others as well. Hopefully everyone can settle their differences.

David Atkatz
08-11-2016, 05:22 PM
I now know what I was needing to know about my item... You're welcome.

RichardSimon
08-11-2016, 05:35 PM
Mark,
Like I told you enjoy the piece and don't sweat the small stuff.

thenavarro
08-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Mark,

If you want to do more research on monetary value, go to rrauction.com and click on past items, input Neil Armstrong, and you'll get a bunch of results. Some might be relevant, some not so much. As David mentioned, it's considered an ALS so look for ones with that in the title, pull them up and see what they sold for, when they sold, what their content was, condition, and then apply those factors to draw an estimate.

I don't have time to do that research for that but that's one of the many ways I'd go about it if I was looking for values.

Enjoy the research and the hunt, those are two of the most enjoyable aspects IMHO

Mike

HOF Auto Rookies
08-11-2016, 07:09 PM
Very awesome piece! Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it!

FourStrikes
08-11-2016, 08:35 PM
anybody ELSE getting tired of this back & forth sh!t???

I'm a sub-300 poster here, so MY opinion may be 'unwelcome', but...

just sayin'...

xo Me

RichardSimon
08-11-2016, 08:36 PM
Mark,

If you want to do more research on monetary value, go to rrauction.com and click on past items, input Neil Armstrong, and you'll get a bunch of results. Some might be relevant, some not so much. As David mentioned, it's considered an ALS so look for ones with that in the title, pull them up and see what they sold for, when they sold, what their content was, condition, and then apply those factors to draw an estimate.

I don't have time to do that research for that but that's one of the many ways I'd go about it if I was looking for values.

Enjoy the research and the hunt, those are two of the most enjoyable aspects IMHO

Mike

Mike,
Excellent advice, I use that site often.

Mr. Zipper
08-12-2016, 05:27 AM
Because the signature is an uncommon style, it makes valuation pretty tough. I'd put it above a routine ALS with the standard signature, but below a NASA content letter on NASA letterhead.

I'd guess around $1,500 RETAIL give or take. Regrettably what may happen is the signature will be cut and matted with a photo.

Bcwcardz
08-13-2016, 04:58 PM
Would it be any more valuable or desirable if he wrote in cursive?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Mr. Zipper
08-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Would it be any more valuable or desirable if he wrote in cursive?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

In my opinion, no.