PDA

View Full Version : Willie Connor - Mascot of the Miracle Braves

slidekellyslide
08-08-2016, 10:08 PM
I'm guessing mascot autographs are extremely rare, and probably not widely collected outside of Eddie Gaedel. (Does a Victory Faust auto even exist?). I've got one of Willie Connor who was known as "Johnny Boston Beans" of the 1914 Braves and am wondering if anyone knows of another. Also wondering if anyone knows what became of him? He apparently was there for the 14 season and is written about in newspaper articles quite a bit, but did not show up for the 1915 season.

btcarfagno
08-09-2016, 07:16 AM
I saw that from your prior thread on the find. It really is terrific. Unfortunately I can't give you and more info on the person, but I have to think that a "completist" for the 1914 Braves (among the more sought after teams in autograph collecting) would very much want it. I have one of the mascot for the 1929 Cubs. Unfortunately not nearly as well collected!

Another valuable mascot is Eddie Bennett of the 1927 (and other years) New York Yankees.

Tom C

Huck
08-09-2016, 07:24 AM
I'm guessing mascot autographs are extremely rare, and probably not widely collected outside of Eddie Gaedel. (Does a Victory Faust auto even exist?). I've got one of Willie Connor who was known as "Johnny Boston Beans" of the 1914 Braves and am wondering if anyone knows of another. Also wondering if anyone knows what became of him? He apparently was there for the 14 season and is written about in newspaper articles quite a bit, but did not show up for the 1915 season.

That is interesting that he did not show up for the 1915 season. He is mentioned in at least one newspaper article from the period.

slidekellyslide
08-09-2016, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the info guys...I did find that he is shown in a picture of the all star team that came to Fenway park to play against the Red Sox in a benefit game for Tim Murnane in 1917, so he didn't just disappear.

Huck
08-09-2016, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the info guys...I did find that he is shown in a picture of the all star team that came to Fenway park to play against the Red Sox in a benefit game for Tim Murnane in 1917, so he didn't just disappear.

The players gave him $250 for his World Series share, perhaps he used the money to start a business or go to college. Interesting that he shows up in the All-Star picture.

Huck
08-09-2016, 09:58 AM
This might even be him in the 1916 team photo.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/fenwaypark100/img/teamphoto_1916.jpg

My guess is his rally antics during the miracle season received more press. After the World Series championship he was still a bat boy/mascot up until at least 1917.

slidekellyslide
08-09-2016, 12:46 PM
This might even be him in the 1916 team photo.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/fenwaypark100/img/teamphoto_1916.jpg

My guess is his rally antics during the miracle season received more press. After the World Series championship he was still a bat boy/mascot up until at least 1917.

That does look like him. The Red Sox may have appropriated him from the Braves, or perhaps more likely he just lived closer to Fenway and stuck around there when the Braves moved into their new park in late 1915.

Michael B
08-09-2016, 01:27 PM
That does look like him. The Red Sox may have appropriated him from the Braves, or perhaps more likely he just lived closer to Fenway and stuck around there when the Braves moved into their new park in late 1915.

South End Park was about a mile southeast of Fenway and Braves Field about a mile northwest of Fenway. If he lived in the Roxbury/South End area it would have been a bit farther, but on a trolley line.