PDA

View Full Version : I'm wondering if I just discovered Coach's Corners ebay name?

milkit1
08-08-2016, 07:20 PM
so...um....yeah. ugh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mordecai-Brown-Autographed-Baseball-w-Barry-Halper-COA-/232041792895?hash=item3606c4c57f:g:bRAAAOSwU-pXp-KZ

thetruthisoutthere
08-08-2016, 07:41 PM
so...um....yeah. ugh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mordecai-Brown-Autographed-Baseball-w-Barry-Halper-COA-/232041792895?hash=item3606c4c57f:g:bRAAAOSwU-pXp-KZ

I was just looking at that junk from that seller.

The seller is located in Florida.

Fuddjcal
08-08-2016, 07:43 PM
WOW...what a Rip off artist.:eek:

Horrible pathetic forgeries and a new cert for everyone to get excited about too. The old Barry Halper Certificate from Fort Lauderdale, FLORIDA trick. Florida of all places. I'm shocked. LOLOLOL. That's the 2nd time I've fell for that one this month! Enjoy your forgeries all you e-bay buying dumb asses;)

Lordstan
08-08-2016, 07:51 PM
Freaking Horrible.

thetruthisoutthere
08-08-2016, 07:55 PM
Looks to me also like typical Coach's Corner crap.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/thehafts/m.html?item=232041787479&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

thetruthisoutthere
08-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Check the seller's Feedback. They have sold a ton of that crap.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/thehafts/m.html?item=231987502309&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

thetruthisoutthere
08-08-2016, 08:06 PM
A Tony Lazzeri "autographed" baseball for only $316.00....yeah right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tony-Lazzeri-Autographed-Baseball-w-Barry-Halper-COA-/232001739461?nma=true&si=XpMKZODhQJnSCTsGJgwuylG8IBA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Lordstan
08-08-2016, 08:07 PM
Such a shame

kdixon
08-09-2016, 06:20 AM
This Wheat was horrible.

GrayGhost
08-09-2016, 09:20 AM
Seriously, e bay SUPPOSEDLY has banned COA's etc. HOW CAN THEY ALLOW SUCH OBVIOUS GARBAGE ON THEIR SITE? I know, money money money money money....but, do they CARE bout their reputation as a huge auction site, at all?

All the stuff looks the same, mainly, old dirty balls, slowly drawn, and in many cases horribly attempted.

But, hey, at least Im gonna bid on this OBVIOUS REAL EXAMPLE. The Car, job, and money can wait. Gonna borrow for this one. Can't believe my good fortune:eek::mad::(:o:p:p:p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amos-Rusie-Autographed-Baseball-w-Barry-Halper-COA-/232041791140?hash=item3606c4bea4:g:5koAAOSwdzVXp-Hz

RichardSimon
08-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Scott,

Don't be so quick to knock that Rusie. It comes from a smoke free home :D.
Why do people put smoke free home in an ebay ad?
Not the first time I have seen it.
Smoking is a vile addiction but who the hell gives a crap if the item comes from a smoke free home?

RichardSimon
08-09-2016, 10:55 AM
There is one buyer on his feedback who has bought a bunch of baseballs.
k***m (1913 feedback).
Now is this guy a reselling crook too or just plain stupid?
The crap certainly looks like it comes from CC.
He bought them on CC and is flipping them to dopes on ebay, what other conclusion could there be?

Fuddjcal
08-09-2016, 11:08 AM
There is one buyer on his feedback who has bought a bunch of baseballs.
k***m (1913 feedback).
Now is this guy a reselling crook too or just plain stupid?
The crap certainly looks like it comes from CC.
He bought them on CC and is flipping them to dopes on ebay, what other conclusion could there be?

The Jumping of the Shark is official at scam bay, if it wasn't already.:D anyone that even looks at their collectible section is an idiot who stands for ZERO in their life, IMHO. Stick to honest, hard working dealers like Richard Simon and Jim Stinson if you're gonna buy ANYTHING.

GrayGhost
08-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Again, as many like Richard, Chris and others have said here and other places, DO YOUR HOMEWORK and if it seems too good to be true, IT PROBABLY IS. Its not rocket science, or is it>?

gnaz01
08-09-2016, 11:18 AM
I'm tempted to buy something, ask if I can pick it up locally (I live in Ft. Lauderdale) and go see what crap he actually has.........

keithsky
08-09-2016, 11:33 AM
Maybe a law enforcement guy that is a memeber on here can buy something from him and pick it up and start an investigation which who knows could be traced back to CC. Anything is possible

GrayGhost
08-09-2016, 02:35 PM
I'm tempted to buy something, ask if I can pick it up locally (I live in Ft. Lauderdale) and go see what crap he actually has.........

+1

khkco4bls
08-10-2016, 05:40 AM
As long as people keep bidding on these items they will keep signing them

GrayGhost
08-10-2016, 06:18 AM
True, kevin, sadly.

Anyone like jumble or word scramble? I just noticed if you unscramble the letters in this scumbucket's name, it says 'THE SHAFT':eek:

rjackson44
08-10-2016, 08:13 AM
don't get why the feds are not involved ,unreal

drcy
08-11-2016, 11:08 PM
With fake and counterfeit COAs like this using some else's name, I wonder if the forgers could be charged with identity theft that could give them serious criminal repercussions. Just a thought, I'm no lawyer.

RichardSimon
08-12-2016, 06:23 AM
His buyers are the same ones that buy this crap on CC.
And ebay could care less.
They are not the "founders" of bogus sellers but they sure are the enablers.

Leon
08-12-2016, 06:33 AM
If someone can show me some low hanging fruit, that isn't a difficult criminal case to make in Federal Court, I can get eyes on it. But so far Coach's Corner has dodged bullets by not being able to be caught red handed. Even if they sign Babe Ruth on a ball yesterday (they probably have) and try to sell it it's not an easy case. We need hands down fraud that that is provable in court. And it really can't be "well, it's so bad even Ray Charles could see it's fake". It has to be where they are caught red handed. I am telling you guys, I don't think they are easy cases to make. (from my little bit of experience)

don't get why the feds are not involved ,unreal

RichardSimon
08-12-2016, 08:04 AM
A strong attempt was made with the Feds. Nothing came of it. :(:(

Leon
08-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Been there done that. That is why I phrased my question the way I did. If I sign Babe Ruth on a ball today, and some jackwad gives his opinion it's real, it's not a crime. That is the issue in a nutshell. There has to be clearly provable fraud. And that is very difficult if someone only gives their opinion (as bad as it may be).

A strong attempt was made with the Feds. Nothing came of it. :(:(

RichardSimon
08-12-2016, 09:07 AM
The Feds can make a case if they want to.
The ones involved in this did not want to go far enough.
Criminals in this business have been trapped by undercover operations. By secretly buying a number of things, by getting someone inside to turn, etc.
I am sure that CC's books will show a very limited number of consignors. Probably only two or three and those are the forgers.

keithsky
08-12-2016, 10:05 AM
Maybe I'm watching to much CSI and this is really reaching but since the baseballs are clearly fake wouldn't there be fingerprints or DNA on the baseballs to run in a criminal database to see if anything pops up. Probably the forgers are wearing gloves so it wouldn't be possible but just a thought.

Leon
08-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Maybe I'm watching to much CSI and this is really reaching but since the baseballs are clearly fake wouldn't there be fingerprints or DNA on the baseballs to run in a criminal database to see if anything pops up. Probably the forgers are wearing gloves so it wouldn't be possible but just a thought.

I don't think fingerprinting is an inexpensive endeavor. And even if there were fingerprints I don't think it would matter. If I sign Babe Ruth, and my prints are on the ball, and Coach's Jackwads give it an LOA, it is only their opinion. The scum needs to be caught red handed and it is difficult. Plus, you know how many Federal Investigators jump at opportunities like this? The answer is close to 0. Except for our few Agents investigating the hobby, who have done a great job so far, there are few takers for these kinds of cases. It is a sad reality. These things are important to us but then ISIS makes the news with another beheading.

earlywynnfan
08-12-2016, 12:32 PM
what about the times they had sigs on money that was dated years and decades after the athlete died?

drcy
08-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Several years ago there was a US currency bill 'signed' by a player and the Treasurer's name on the bill proved that the signatures had to be fake. The player died before the Treasurer had the position and, thus, before the bill was made. This was pointed out to them and they still let auction continue. That was as cut and dry an instance as one could get. And I assume that situation is detailed somewhere on this board's archives, as it was discussed at the time the auction was live.

Klrdds
08-12-2016, 06:29 PM
FWIW I think for an investigation to happen you will need to get lucky and get an agent or higher up who has some background in the collectibles market . I don't think most agents understand the hobby or its intricacies . I think they feel that we are guys living in some sort of fantasy world with our hobby.

RichardSimon
08-12-2016, 06:48 PM
A higher up in their area who is familiar with the hobby was contacted.
He referred this to a Federal investigator. After a period of time, during which it seemed something might happen, the investigation just kind of faded away :(.

Bcwcardz
08-12-2016, 06:55 PM
FWIW I think for an investigation to happen you will need to get lucky and get an agent or higher up who has some background in the collectibles market . I don't think most agents understand the hobby or its intricacies . I think they feel that we are guys living in some sort of fantasy world with our hobby.
Read Operation Bullpen and it will give you insight on how one of these investigations goes. They did find a guy but it was obviously difficult for them. They busted a massive forgery ring and took a lot of people down but there is just too much of this crap out there to hit every little guy. All you can do is just not buy. I used to buy stuff from a LCS years ago and some stuff turned out to be fake and some real. Very disheartening.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

thetruthisoutthere
08-12-2016, 07:09 PM
He referred this to a Federal investigator. After a period of time, during which it seemed something might happen, the investigation just kind of faded away :(.

I remember and it pissed me off!!!

Klrdds
08-12-2016, 08:23 PM
Read Operation Bullpen and it will give you insight on how one of these investigations goes. They did find a guy but it was obviously difficult for them. They busted a massive forgery ring and took a lot of people down but there is just too much of this crap out there to hit every little guy. All you can do is just not buy. I used to buy stuff from a LCS years ago and some stuff turned out to be fake and some real. Very disheartening.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

As a 40 year collector I have extremely intimate knowledge of Operation Bullpen on the side of the good guys . That is all I can say .Believe me that was a long time coming but very welcomed .
CC is running a totally different operation . Back then the Feds had an interest in it .

FourStrikes
08-12-2016, 10:27 PM

Feds = bigger fish to fry...albeit for better or worse.

but it still sucks.

in the "real" world, I see we (as collectors) being only a drop of pi$$ in the yellow river of life.

JMO

DS

mighty bombjack
08-14-2016, 12:55 AM
That Brown in the OP went for a grand?!?!