PDA

View Full Version : Set-Builder Thread

Vintagevault13
08-06-2016, 09:40 AM
The great thing about this hobby is the endless ways that are available to collect what we love. When I first joined the board there seemed to be many more discussions about sets. Lately the talk seems to have shifted to key cards, TPG's, prices, HOF player sets, etc. BTW, I participate in some of these as I am currently working on a couple of graded player sets.

I have realized, however, that I am a set collector at heart. This brings me back to 1974 when I began collecting. Maybe my OCD contributes to this, but I absolutely love building sets. Condition isn't a huge factor for me. I usually shoot for VG or better.

This thread is for others that share a love for building sets. Please share what you have, current projects and/or your goals.

I will get things started. I have completed the 1965 Topps (birth year) and 1974 Topps (1st yr. collecting). I am currently about 50% finished with 1973 Topps. My goal is to build 1970-73 then 1975. I don't have much interest after 1975. With my '65 set, I discovered that the best way for me to collect is by series. This provides me with smaller goals whole allowing me to build sets as kids did at the time cards were released.

Sorry for the rambling. I guess I am just pretty passionate about this. Looking forward to ongoing discussions about your projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikemb
08-06-2016, 10:26 AM
I have Topps complete sets from 1963 on up. Some were purchased as complete sets but I put together sets from 1963 to 1971, 1976-1979 and 1981-1984. It is more fun, although more expensive, building sets.

I'm slightly older than you (8 years) and when I was completing my sets back in the late 1970's and early 1980's I did not have spreadsheets available. I would write on a pad numbers 1 to 600. Then I would go to the store and make copies (at 5 cents a page). Then went through the set card by card crossing off the numbers I had to see what I needed.

My current project is the 1966 Topps Rub Off set. I gave myself 3 years to complete it but that was 6 years ago! Still need 14 more.

Next project is the 1962 set including green tints. I have about 35% of the set with some stars already.

tonyo
08-06-2016, 10:30 AM
I think I'm still a set-builder at heart as well.

Since I got back into the hobby in aught-7, I've finished up 72topps (first year collecting), did a 73 topps from scratch, and a 52 bowman from scratch. I live in lower grade as well. G-VG neighborhood.

Even when I'm not completing checklists on full official releases, I usually find myself setting guidelines and forming my own "set" so I'll have a target.

for example: I'm 5 cards short on my "1949-1979 bowman & topps regular issue hofers in their playing days" set. :)

That's it for post-war pre-1980 baseball. Not really actively looking for any post-war baseball stuff - except those 5 I mentioned - but I certainly could see myself putting together another post-war baseball set someday just for fun.

Not-post-war-baseball:

I've "completed" (meaning 99% and will never reach 100% unless I win the lottery and maybe not even then) 2 of the more popular/available pre-war sets and am working on a 3rd & half-heartedly on a 4th now.

Also working on 51 bowman football now.

Also working on 2 modern 1990's autographed sets ( I doubt those will ever be finished, but I'm working on them none the less)

RaidonCollects
08-06-2016, 10:36 AM
Set Building is the best!!!!:)

There is nothing as fun as sorting through a $ box and finding some cards for your set.

I'm currently working on:

1955 Topps: 141/206
1952 Red Man: 10(give or take)/52

Looking forward to more posts on this thread:D

-Owen

Vintagevault13
08-06-2016, 10:46 AM
I'm slightly older than you (8 years) and when I was completing my sets back in the late 1970's and early 1980's I did not have spreadsheets available. I would write on a pad numbers 1 to 600. Then I would go to the store and make copies (at 5 cents a page). Then went through the set card by card crossing off the numbers I had to see what I needed.

Mike,

I definitely remember using the handwritten lists as well. I used to take them to card shows to reference as I flipped through the commons boxes. Good memories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Econteachert205
08-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Recovering set builder here. I've sold some of the sets I've built but my favorites are the 1968 topps (started at age 8 finished at age 31) and my first older set build (I'm 34) 1975 topps baseball, my favorite all time set. I've also built a t205 set, which is something I'd never do again but am glad I did. Set building is the essence of baseball collecting.

Vintagevault13
08-06-2016, 11:57 AM
Set building is the essence of baseball collecting.

I feel this way also

Harliduck
08-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Great thread...it's been hard to participate here lately...:D Hello, my name is John Otto, and I am a set collector.

Almost everyone's feedback could be mine as well. I was born in 1970, and when I was a kid old cards were hard to come by. I was obsessed with 1969 Topps because it was OLDER than me. Started the set around 11, finished with Jim Northrup by mail (all the way from Boston to Seattle! A big deal then...HAHA) when I was 20 in 1990. I lost touch with cards during junk era, and sold my childhood set to a shop for $1000 and it broke my heart. Whats funny is that set was P-VG at best and the shop was thrilled to see a vintage set. I thought I got raked over the coals back then, and that shop went under about a month later. Be lucky to get $500 for that set on Ebay now...:D EDITED TO ADD - To be fair, the Nolan Ryan was NM, a beauty I picked up at a Portland card show, and Ryan was going through the roof at the time.

Started up a few years ago collecting 1969 to get that set back for nostalgia, and I haven't looked back. In my continual quest to upgrade my 69 set, I am now 20 cards (all commons) from completing my 3rd 69 set with my first now NM. My wife laughs because I now have a stack of about 200 left over and she is convinced it is the start of my 4th set....it's a sickness!!! (I do have some upgrades on my 2nd set needed!)

My signature is current on what I am building now. I did have the 1954, 1955 and 1957 sets complete, but sold them to fund other projects...and I do regret that. I hate selling, although I did make a nice profit. Good project though, they completely paid for the adoption of our 5th kid as I have mentioned here before, which forever gives me card credibility with the wife, which is priceless...

Love reading about everyone's set collecting adventures!!! There is nothing better as mentioned then looking though a stack and finding the numbers you need!!!! I also love the simplicity of putting cards in a sheet where needed, especially when working with a new set and working those lots. Love it!!

familytoad
08-06-2016, 12:58 PM
I posted another thread about my milestone of 99 cards to complete my version of the Topps run 1952-1980.

I have often talked about (internally I guess lol) de-emphasizing set collecting and going strictly for HOFers, but I keep getting pulled back in!

There is something magical about set collecting. It's the way it's "supposed" to be!

Since I swore off starting new sets, I have only started 4 (maybe 5) new sets.
You are welcome, OCD.:cool:

ALR-bishop
08-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Topps 1948 and 1951- 2016
Fleer 1923 and 1959-2007
Bowman 1948-1955

Also do variations and packs for Topps and Fleer sets, variations and wrappers for Bowman

Also any Topps insert and test sets through 1994

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-06-2016, 01:41 PM
I posted another thread about my milestone of 99 cards to complete my version of the Topps run 1952-1980.

I have often talked about (internally I guess lol) de-emphasizing set collecting and going strictly for HOFers, but I keep getting pulled back in!

There is something magical about set collecting. It's the way it's "supposed" to be!

Since I swore off starting new sets, I have only started 4 (maybe 5) new sets.
You are welcome, OCD.:cool:
I understand, believe me. I have fought the set urge for quite a while and did a little Ted Williams graded card run, bought a couple of football cards, etc. I then thought I would just cherry pick some stars out of sets I like. However, none of that was enough. I now have a complete set of '53 Topps and am about half way through with '65 Topps. I am already starting to think about '61 Topps being next.

For a while, part of my resistance was the fact that I didn't want to spend money on commons. Others have said that is their objection, and I totally respect that. In dealing with sets it occurred to me that some of the best looking card images turn out to be those of common players which I might never have known about if I wasn't building that particular set. Also, for me at least, the story of that particular year or era can sometimes best be told by those common players.

So, I am hooked. I freely admit it.[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Vintagevault13
08-06-2016, 01:45 PM
I didn't mention this in my original post, but I store my sets in black BCW binders and 9-pocket sheets. I print a copy of the wrapper from the set and put it in the sleeve on the spine. I also have an original wrapper from the set in a page at the front of the set.

I definitely believe cards should be enjoyed so I love looking at sets in binders. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/ed9303efcc25913c0a666a2a3a335798.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/52390c97e9d6679841c1d3ccd83620b9.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/614df28615e77364ba6c2d4476eaae0a.jpg

Shoebox
08-06-2016, 02:45 PM
I got started collecting as a kid in the late 80s and with the explosion of brands and sets in the 90s I never even considered set building. I would buy a pack or two of whatever was new on the shelf, occasionally, a hot insert, or a rookie that was exclusive to a set would keep me buying more. I didn't really get introduced to set collecting until the late 90s. I tried it a little but it's not something that has ever 'stuck' for me. I wonder if that is a generational thing driven by the era where I began collecting? Are more of the age 30-45 collectors than I realize set builders? It seems much more prevalent among those that got their start in the Topps dominated era.

Collectorsince62
08-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Set collecting is just more fun. For me, it takes me back to the early 60's when my friends and I would hold trading sessions on our front porches. The goal was to get all the Cardinals first, then work on the whole set. No flipping, no selling, and certainly no investing. Just pure collecting. Everyone in the neighborhood collected cards, so there was always someone with a dupe you needed. And the older guys had these amazing cards we had never seen before. As soon as they turned their attention to cars and girls, we would swoop in and relieve them of their "kids stuff" cards. Some were given to us but some required us to spend our umpiring and lawn mowing money to pry them loose. I still remember the first time I ever saw a '58 Musial, from an older neighbor who gave me his shoebox of cards, rubber banded in teams with cut up inner tubes.

Collecting sets requires a lot of patience. I have all the Topps, Bowman and Fleer sets back to 1948. Many cards took me years to find in the right condition at the right price. And when you finally land that elusive short print or that variation to finish a set it's that much more enjoyable. I am a stickler for condition and am always looking for upgrades to NM, so it's not like I finish a set and just put it away. Everything is in binders and sheets and the first sheet is always a wrapper from that set. Still need some of the early wrappers, but like I said, I am willing to be patient to find what I want.

Vintagevault13
08-06-2016, 03:53 PM
I got started collecting as a kid in the late 80s and with the explosion of brands and sets in the 90s I never even considered set building. I would buy a pack or two of whatever was new on the shelf, occasionally, a hot insert, or a rookie that was exclusive to a set would keep me buying more. I didn't really get introduced to set collecting until the late 90s. I tried it a little but it's not something that has ever 'stuck' for me. I wonder if that is a generational thing driven by the era where I began collecting? Are more of the age 30-45 collectors than I realize set builders? It seems much more prevalent among those that got their start in the Topps dominated era.

Dustin,

Those are great points and, perhaps, set collecting may be generational. Even so, I believe younger collectors can still catch the set-building bug. Set building is truly collecting. It isn't for those that are looking to invest. There is a thrill in finding certain cards and completing a project. It takes patience and maybe that is what keeps some from starting in today's technology-driven world where a premium is put on immediate gratification.

Even if it sets aren't something you enjoy,however, I am glad you do enjoy collecting. Lots of options in our hobby.

kailes2872
08-06-2016, 06:50 PM
I caught the bug early. When I was 8, I sold a bunch of 71-75's for $13 in order to afford a 1980 topps set. Instead of putting them away forever, I would play games with them - George Brett was my favorite, but I also loved Rod Carew. I loved the Fred Lynn card where he was running in from the outfield - with all star across the top of the card. He had 39 homers in the 79 season - just like Jim Rice. Keith Hernadez batted .344 to lead the NL and had 211 hits - although I thought it was strange that Gary Templeton had 212 hits but a lower batting average (the mind of an 8 year old...). I memorized every stat on those cards. I learned how to figure slugging percentage, and thought it was a bummer that stolen bases weren't on those cards - because 1980 was the year of Ron Leflore's 96 SBs and Rickey Henderson swiping 100. I bought the '81 set and then, when I got a paper route, I went crazy in '82. I bought two boxes of wax packs, opening every one, chewing every piece of gum along the way - my cheek looking like George Brett's '78 card. I then bought two 500ct vending boxes and would buy multiple packs when I collected for the paper at the beginning of the month. I hated that it was the strike year on the back and the stats seemed to be just meh compared to other years. In retrospect, that was a pretty ugly card, but it was the one that I collected the most. I didn't get the full 83-85 sets, but had several singles. I then was head first back into it in 86 - getting sets from 86-90 before leaving for college and having my attention diverted. I sold it all in college for $250. With all of the different brands and speculating, I really didn't miss it and could no longer keep up with it.

When I got back into it in 2011, I started with '85 and quickly bought all the way back to 73. It slowed down a bit at 72, but over the next 3 months, I bought 68-72 and '66. I then collected '67 card by ever loving card - making nice progress until getting to the high numbers and short prints. I spent probably 2x on the final series versus what I spent on the first 500+ cards. The next year was 63-65, with 58, 59, 60 coming the following year. After that came 57, 61, and 62. I then decided to collect 56 card by card. There were 342 cards, no expensive high series and 34 HOFers that I could buy exactly like I wanted to. That took about 8 months and I absolutely love that issue. Last year, I found a '55 less 9 HOFers and '54 without Banks and Aaron. I have spent the last 18 months upgrading all of the HOFers to PSA 6 or better. Then, earlier this year, I bought 53 Bowman Color and B&W as well as '50 Bowman. When I finish my upgrades, I plan to buy '55 and '54 Bowman next and then I will tackle a nicer graded '53 Topps. Along the way, I bought all of the new sets with a couple of minor exceptions. I also am in the process of picking up '63 Fleer and will probably buy the 59 Williams set as well as the early 60's Fleer legends sets. I have also painstakingly upgraded with nearly 300 slabbed cards - most in PSA 6 or higher.

I don't think that I will ever have the wherewithall or bankroll to buy 52 Topps or 51 Bowman, but I will get 52, 48 & 49 Bowman in the coming years. I will try to buy a low number 52 Topps and as much of 51 Bowman as I can afford until I am able to get my Mantle and Mays. That probably gets me to 2020. After that, I will go after 39-41 PB and then probably the 35 Goudey set and my all time favorite, 33 Delong. The kids will be completely out of college by 2024, so depending on how things are going, I can look at tackling some of the classics like '33 & '34 Goudey, the 52 hi's and then maybe, just maybe taking a run at the tobacco and carmel cards. If the market does really well in retirement, I will probably take a run at CJ's and then maybe even get into 19th century stuff. My goal is to own every major issue. It is aspirational, and I know that my goals outstrip my finances, but I will continue to aspire for it.

I must have a completion gene. Everything tells me that set building is a money losing proposition. No one wants the commons. I could do much better if I just bought high grade versions on the stars, but I just can't seem to help myself. Thanks to all of those who have done deals with me hear as you have helped me in my quest.

Harliduck
08-06-2016, 07:05 PM

I definitely think it may be generational. I was opening packs in 78, 79 and early 80s and like others said, the whole neighborhood of kids were as well, and we were all trying to complete our sets. I remember a FIERCE battle I had in 1981 trying to trade ANYTHING extra I had for Gene Richards (Padres) card. No one in the neighborhood had it...I SWEAR it was single printed. Kid got one at school and he knew several wanted it...I got it, last card in my set.

The mid 90s and even today there are so many inserts ect, what is a set anymore? My 11 year old is trying to collect the 2016 set through packs and with so many special cards it makes it distracting. He likes stars and players he knows...so I would agree with you...generational BUT only because of the way the companies came to market...imho

KCRfan1
08-06-2016, 08:40 PM
I'm currently working on a 1973 Topps set, nrmt. The HoFR's are graded, and the rest are ungraded. These are the first cards I halfway began collecting. I had some 70's and 72's, but those years were just random packs.

The cards I had growing up have been long gone, and in selecting a set to build, I wanted one that would bring back some childhood memories. I also wanted a set that had a key rookie card and was loaded with HoFR's. The '73 set has the last card of Clemente and of Mays.

While the cards are rather affordable, I believe the set is undervalued. Centering can be difficult for the set, and the black back of the card shows wear easily.

I'm also working on a 1969 set, but that endeavor is a very slow one.

The sets are something I do for fun, but I'm much more serious about collecting individual cards (HoFRs ) in the best condition I find within my budget.

darkhorse9
08-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Set building is the only way I can do it.

I started collecting in 1969 and eventually sold everything in 1978. I started a new in 1986 and never looked back. My goal was to get a complete set from every year.

As of now I have complete sets from 1951 to today. My 1952 set is a Bowman set, I ended the Topps set at 310 and will only consider it "finished" not complete.

I am currently working on the 1950 Bowman set (60 cards left) then it's on to the 1940's

My plan for the 1940's is:

1940 Play Ball
1941 Goudey
1941-2 Play Ball
1943 M.P & Co (completed)
1944-5 Salutation Exhibits
1946 Carmelo Deportiva
1947 Bond Bread
1948 Bowman
1949 Bowman

ALR-bishop
08-07-2016, 12:47 PM
That is a great project Mark. Did you go/are you going all the way forward as well as going backwards ?

Nick55
08-07-2016, 02:37 PM
I'm predominately a set collector. I've built baseball sets from 1974 to 1979, and purchased sets from 1980-1986, 2002, and 2015-present. The sets from 1975-present are NM and better. The '74 set is EX and better.

Incidentally, I have one OPC baseball set: 1981. I was on work trip last year to Burlington, VT, and picked it up at a LCS there for a reasonable price (30 bucks). It's minty fresh with the usual centering problems, but I just love that set with the rough cuts and vibrant printing. I'm keeping it all together with no upgrading necessary.

I've built one PSA 8 and better set of 1975 Mini's card by card over about 6 years. I still have it, and occasionally upgrade the 8's with 9's as the opportunity presents itself. I also built two ungraded '75 Mini sets in EX-MT and better, one of which I still have. I really love collecting those Mini's, but I'm close to a stopping point on them.

Currently, I'm working on a 1973 Topps baseball set, which is the first time I've worked on a set released in multiple series. I have not at all sought perfection with this set, unlike almost all of my other sets. Most of the cards are VG to EX, with two, including a checklist, having minor writing. Nevertheless, they are still really nice looking cards in a binder. I'm a little over 80 percent complete, and it has been a lot less work with no fretting over bent corners, minor wrinkles, centering issues, miscuts, edge wear, and all that other stuff that I previously fretted over and which frankly, just plain wore me out. I'm finding that I've come full circle in that regard as this is how I collected back in 1978-1981 and 1992-1995. What mattered to me back then was the condition of the card face - I never bothered to look at corners and edges or compute centering, or think about resale value, etc. I'm having much more fun this way and it's easy on the wallet.

I don't know where I will go once the 1973 set is done. I'm not at all crazy about chasing after the 700+ cards sets of the early 70's or searching for short prints/high series cards. Perhaps I'll do all but the highest series of a '71 or '72 set.

HOF Yankees
08-07-2016, 04:20 PM
I never use to be a set collector when I first started collecting to keep which was back in high school in the early 2000s, I was always the singles buyer of one certain thing and I was also not sure on what to actually buy, always changing ideas. I would always read beckett and beckett vintage back in the day and read up on the sets and see who was in them and what the cards were worth back then, a big difference from then to now. Back in 2009 I was really getting into the idea of collecting Yankees team sets from the 60s era, knowing I never saw any of those players but I became such a big fan of the early days and the players that came before plus the designs, pictures, colors were very cool looking. I now collect my favorite full set 1960 Topps Baseball and full Topps Yankees team sets in the 60s era, maybe one day I will get the inserts as well.

Yankees sets I go for 1960-1969 both graded and ungraded raw, to keep cost down but also love to hold and feel the vintage cardboard as well. The set I am almost done with is 1968 Topps. I have 2 cards left Mickey Mantle base and the Super Stars Mantle/Mays/Killebrew, the rest still plugging away when I can

1960 Topps- always trying to get what I can when I can. I tend to look more towards appearance and price meaning not high end but within my budget. I love everything about the set, too cool.

In Conclusion, one day I may start another set but that is yet to be figured out yet

darkhorse9
08-07-2016, 06:09 PM
That is a great project Mark. Did you go/are you going all the way forward as well as going backwards ?

I have every Topps base set through 2016, so, yes...I go both ways.

Wait...that didn't sound right.

HOF Yankees
08-07-2016, 10:13 PM
I have every Topps base set through 2016, so, yes...I go both ways.

Wait...that didn't sound right.

Are we talking about set buliding or something else

Harliduck
08-07-2016, 11:01 PM
One thing is for sure...I bet many who have posted here have competed against each other a few times...;)

Mountaineer1999
08-08-2016, 06:05 AM
I didn't mention this in my original post, but I store my sets in black BCW binders and 9-pocket sheets. I print a copy of the wrapper from the set and put it in the sleeve on the spine. I also have an original wrapper from the set in a page at the front of the set.

I definitely believe cards should be enjoyed so I love looking at sets in binders. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/ed9303efcc25913c0a666a2a3a335798.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/52390c97e9d6679841c1d3ccd83620b9.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/614df28615e77364ba6c2d4476eaae0a.jpg

I Love the binder with the wax packs added! Looks very cool.

Mountaineer1999
08-08-2016, 06:16 AM
I have been all over the place the last couple years after getting back in the hobby after a twenty-five year absence. I collected from the mid 70's until about 1987 then marriage and military began. When I picked up the hobby again I started the '72 Topps set and still need most of high series. I then started going after the monster and when that fell apart I started looking at HOF PSA graded cards. I still look for the HOF graded but have once again started on my old incomplete sets . I built a website, http://mountaineer1999.wixsite.com/donniesbbcards , to try and track what I have and where I am going. My immediate goal is all Topps sets from 1970-1989... Most of the 80s are complete save a few minor cards so the focus now is the 1970s.

darkhorse9
08-08-2016, 09:20 AM
I've posted this several times before, so I apologize to frequent visitors, but here's how my set collection looks at the present time.

In the top shelf on the left is the binder that holds the sets from the 1940's I'm building. The two other thin blue ones are 1950 Bowman and 1951 Topps Red and Blue backs. Each year in contained in their respective binders. The card on the outside is an extra HOF or superstar card from that year and is in addition to the set.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz44/Mark_Fricke/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150801_102802_zps73no04qd.jpg

ALR-bishop
08-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Those binders are great Mark.

Mountaineer1999
08-08-2016, 11:21 AM

+1

darkhorse9
08-08-2016, 01:01 PM

Thanks. BTW you might even notice a theme to them.

The 1950's sets are all in blue binders
1960's in black
1970's in blue
1980's in multi-color
1990's in blue
2000's in black
2010's in blue

That's how OCD I am with them.

skil55voy
08-08-2016, 01:59 PM
I started collecting in 1962. I had full or partial sets from 1954 through 1981. This included Topps and Bowman. I also had some Post Cereal and Jell-o. When my first daughter was on the way I sold most of them (1986) to buy a house. I kept the Post Cereal and Jell-o cards and decided to collect them as sets. Being a Detroit Tigers fan I kept a lot of the Tigers and have been building team sets.

Baseball
1961 Post - Complete Master Set - One Card from every box and one of every company card. (525)

1962 Post Complete. Working on a Master set. (Short 70 cards)
1963 Post Missing Thomas. Working on a Master Set (Short 64 cards)
1962 Canadian - Missing 29 Cards
1962 Jello - Missing 88 Cards
1963 Jello - Missing 36 Cards

Football
1962 Post - Missing 11 Cards. Working on a Master Set based on different backgrounds
1962 Post Canadian - Missing 15 Cards
1963 Post Canadian - Complete. Working on a Master Set

I have panels from each year and complete Jello boxes from each year. I also have the albums for 1962 Canadian Football in French and English.
Also have a few of the newer (Post 1980) Hockey sets and complete cereal and Jello boxes.

SAllen2556
08-08-2016, 02:11 PM

I agree! One question though - I have read that it's better to store binders horizontally rather than vertically as shown in the photo. Any truth to that?

Vintagevault13
08-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Thanks. BTW you might even notice a theme to them.

The 1950's sets are all in blue binders

1960's in black

1970's in blue

1980's in multi-color

1990's in blue

2000's in black

2010's in blue

That's how OCD I am with them.

Funny. I can definitely relate to the OCD tendencies. I think that kinda goes with the set-building mindset.

ALR-bishop
08-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Sorry Mark. It is ok to have a multi color section but you can't have three blue sections and only two black. It does not pass the OCD test, unless you commit that the 2020s will be black again.

Robs70sCards
08-08-2016, 08:10 PM
Funny! With the set builders there's a common theme of collecting cards before the end of the Topps monopoly era (for the most part) and OCD, lol. I know it affects me. When I got back into cards briefly in 2003/2004 I tried to collect a "set", but which one, just the base, there's a bazillion inserts and autos, ugh. Then I tried collecting team sets of the A's, but that still bothered me. When I got back into it 3 years ago it was a specific purpose and I vowed I would never buy anything past 1980. At first I was just going to collect the years I initially liked, then it was every year, then I thought what the heck, collect the birth year set too, HAha.

With my particular form of OCD I even have a hard time looking through the binder if I know there's blank spots, lol. Although I'm not quite at the level of needing color coordinated binders...but that is very cool darkhorse!

Neal
08-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Nice thread!

I have not completed a set since 1980 Topps as a 12 year old kid. I have attempted a few, having reached 65%+ on the 1933 Goudey, 1952 Bowman, and the 1967 Topps set. I have completed Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt and Hank Aaron player sets, but that is another thread .....

Often, I will ponder another set to start, and most importantly, finish. Not sure if I am a complete set guy, but I kinda wanna be one lol! I also think that working on a set, with no set time table, does provide a more personal feel for the hobby and not just buying and selling.

Currently, I am daydreaming about a centered 1953 Bowman Color in mid grade. The photography is extraordinary, imo, and it both small enough at 160 cards and has enough HOF and star players from one of baseballs greatest decade to make it enjoyable for me. If only there was a Jackie and a Williams ....

I registered a set tonight with the Spahn already in my collection. We'll see ....

In any event, this has been a good read and best of luck to all the set guys out there.

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Neal, I agree. I haven't enjoyed a thread this much in a long time! This discussion has really encouraged me to let that inner set builder out!

Vintagevault13
08-09-2016, 04:55 AM
Glad to see set-building is alive and well. Thanks for all of the great stories. Keep 'em coming.

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-09-2016, 05:56 AM
Glad to see set-building is alive and well. Thanks for all of the great stories. Keep 'em coming.

It is very much alive and well. I have come to a conclusion about myself as a collector. I am on a budget, and set building is a good way to help me stay reigned in. Of course the budget aspect makes me have to go slower than what I might like, but I can always make progress and have fun and still buy cards in mid to higher grade if I choose to do so. I look forward to going to the mailbox and finding those little boxes and padded envelopes. Everything I buy doesn't have to be a huge HOFer card to make me happy (I didn't learn this overnight). It is just fun to go through a lot and line up dupes and decide which one is going in the set. Also it is fun to fill in that next hole in the set I am working on, especially if it is a high number or SP or both. I spent a lot of years stressing myself out in my collecting life, but I am so much happier now.

HOF Yankees
08-09-2016, 08:21 AM
I always tell myself I won't start another vintage baseball set after I finish my 1960 Topps set but I know I will since I get a lot of joy from collecting them

Leon
08-09-2016, 08:33 AM
Hey guys
I know this is a pre war board but this is such as great thread I took the liberty of moving it to the front page so more collectors/members can see it. Personally I have never been a set collector although I almost finished a type card set.....which was 20 yrs of fun. Carry on an thanks for the stories so far..

Cozumeleno
08-09-2016, 08:57 AM
I finished my T206 'set' of 520 last year and decided to pursue a run of the ATC's T205, T206, and T207 sets earlier this year. I'm nearly complete with T205 (not counting all of the error cards) and about halfway on T207. Also passively working on E90-1, but only about 1/3 of the way on that one.

Condition is of far less importance to me in the beginning as I enjoy looking for upgrades after completing sets. Since finishing T206 last year, I've upgraded over 100 cards and I get as much joy out of that as I do initially building a set.

I get frustrated in trying to track down the tougher cards, so I started randomly just picking up other pre-war E and T cards as sort of a diversion. That has been rewarding and has been a good way to avoid getting too frustrated when not finding a card.

ALR-bishop
08-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Very impressive Cozu

blackandgold
08-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Right now, I'm slowly working on the 1964 Topps Giants and 1967 Topps sets. I always liked the 67s and have all the stars except Mantle and the Seaver rookie. I also need several high numbers, so it's going to take a while.
The Topps Giants are special to me. About 40 years ago, my dad bought me a starter lot of about 20 of them for Christmas. it included the Mantle and a few other stars. After my dad passed away last summer, I decided I would try to finish that set. Well, I'm down to a handful, but two of them are the Koufax and Mays, two short-prints.
I'm on a tight budget, but not really condition crazy on the 67s, the Giants are all in at least near mint shape, to match my first batch.
Great topic!

Cozumeleno
08-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Very impressive Cozu

Thanks, Al - I love those initial Bowman sets you have put together. My first vintage set ever was the 1948 Bowman and I later did 1951. Had I not gotten into the pre-war stuff, I would have likely tried for a run of those. I love those sets.

Jason
08-09-2016, 10:47 AM
Yay a set builders thread! I am a set builder and wouldnt want it any other way. Im currently collecting the following sets

T210 all Series
T209-2
E222 just dont have one yet!
a few non sport guilty pleasure sets im too embarrassed to mention :cool:

There is nothing wrong with type collecting though. To each his own. I like the idea of having a card from all sets. I just prefer my prewar to be Minor League examples.

gemmint77
08-09-2016, 10:57 AM
I am slowly working on building a T206 set. I also want to start a 55 or 56 Topps set.

argpdt
08-09-2016, 11:03 AM
I don't exclusively build sets, but I have built a lot of them. My first was 1979 Topps baseball, which I collected as a kid. It is definitely more fun to build rather than buy a set. I am regularly on the Net54 board for non set reasons, as my latest passion has become pre war baseball stars and Hall of Famers.

I have the following sets:
Topps Baseball: 1965, 1969, 1973-1990
Bowman Football: 1950, 1951, 1952 Bowman Large (need 7), 1952 Bowman Small (need 42)
Topps Football: 1957, 1967, 1969, 1971, 1972 (low numbers), 1973-1989
Fleer Football: 1962, 1963
Topps Basketball: 1969-70, 1972-73, 1974-75, 1976-77, 1981-82

Vintagevault13
08-09-2016, 01:39 PM
Hey guys
I know this is a pre war board but this is such as great thread I took the liberty of moving it to the front page so more collectors/members can see it. Personally I have never been a set collector although I almost finished a type card set.....which was 20 yrs of fun. Carry on an thanks for the stories so far..

Thanks Leon,

I have thoroughly enjoyed the responses and passion for collecting that have been shared.

tedzan
08-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Here's the timeline of my various Sportscards sets......starting from my youth (1947) ............

Year ...... Completed Set(s)

1947 ...... 1947 BOND BREAD [44 cards (missing the 4 Boxers)]

1948 ...... 1948 LEAF Boxers (49 cards).... 2 sets

1948 ...... 1948 BOWMAN BB (48 cards)

1948 ...... 1948 BOWMAN FB (108 cards)

1949 ...... 1949 LEAF BB [49 cards (1st Series)]

1949-2004 ...... 1949 BOWMAN BB (252 cards).... 7 sets

1950 ...... 1950 BOWMAN BB (252 cards)

1951 ...... 1951 BOWMAN BB (324 cards)

1952 ...... 1952 BOWMAN BB (252 cards)

1952 ...... 1952 TOPPS BB [310 cards and 5 Hi #s (including Mantle)]

Skip to 1977 - 2016 ......

1977-1981 ...... Upgraded above sets from my youth and completed basic 1952 TOPPS set (407 cards).

1981-1986 ...... 1953 BOWMAN BB .... 2 sets

1981-1986 ...... 1953 BOWMAN BB

1981-1985 ...... 1954 BOWMAN BB (224 cards)

1981-1985 ...... 1955 BOWMAN BB (320 cards)

1981-1996 ...... T206 [521 cards (includes Magie)].... [B]1st T206 set

1981-1996 ...... T205 [209 cards (includes Hoblitzell - No Stats)]

1981-1996 ...... T207 (200 cards)

1981-1986 ...... 1933 GOUDEY (239 cards)

1985-1989 ...... 1933 GOUDEY (239 cards).... 2nd set

1984-1988 ...... 1934 GOUDEY (96 cards)

1982-1986 ...... 1934-36 DIAMOND STARS (109 cards)

1985-1988 ...... 1939 PLAY BALL (161 cards)

1985-1989 ...... 1940 PLAY BALL (240 cards)

1983-1990 ...... 1941 PLAY BALL (72 cards).... 2 sets

1989-2000 ...... 1888 GOODWIN CHAMPIONS (N162) ....(50 cards)..... 3.4 sets

1996-2001 ...... 1887 ALLEN & GINTER (N28) ....(50 cards)

1996-2002 ...... 1888 ALLEN & GINTER (N29) ....(50 cards)

1999-2004 ...... T206 [520 cards (plus 35 diff. backs)].... 2nd T206 set

2007-2009 ...... T201 (50 cards)

TO BE CONTINUED......

[COLOR="Blue"]TED Z

Vintagevault13
08-09-2016, 04:35 PM
Here's the timeline of my various Sportscards sets......starting from my youth (1947) ............

Year ...... Completed Set(s)

1947 ...... 1947 BOND BREAD [44 cards (missing the 4 Boxers)]

1948 ...... 1948 LEAF Boxers (49 cards).... 2 SETS

1948 ...... 1948 BOWMAN BB (48 cards)

1948 ...... 1948 BOWMAN FB (108 cards)

1949 ...... 1949 LEAF BB [49 cards (1st Series)]

1949 ...... 1949 BOWMAN BB (240 cards)

1950 ...... 1950 BOWMAN BB (252 cards)

1951 ...... 1951 BOWMAN BB (324 cards)

1952 ...... 1952 BOWMAN BB (252 cards)

1952 ...... 1952 TOPPS BB [310 cards and 5 Hi #s (including Mantle)]

Skip to 1977 - 2016 ......

1977-1981 ...... Upgraded above sets from my youth and completed basic 1952 TOPPS set (407 cards).

1981-1986 ...... 1953 BOWMAN BB .... 2 SETS

1981-1986 ...... 1953 BOWMAN BB

1981-1985 ...... 1954 BOWMAN BB (224 cards)

1981-1985 ...... 1955 BOWMAN BB (320 cards)

1981-1996 ...... T206 [521 cards (includes Magie)].... [B]1st SET

1981-1996 ...... T205 [209 cards (includes Hoblitzell - No Stats)]

1981-1996 ...... T207 (200 cards)

1984-1988 ...... 1934 GOUDEY (96 cards)

1982-1986 ...... 1934-36 DIAMOND STARS (109 cards)

1985-1988 ...... 1939 PLAY BALL (161 cards)

1985-1989 ...... 1940 PLAY BALL (240 cards)

1983-1990 ...... 1941 PLAY BALL (72 cards).... 2 SETS

1989-2000 ...... 1888 GOODWIN CHAMPIONS (N162) ....(50 cards)..... 3.4 SETS

1996-2001 ...... 1887 ALLEN & GINTER (N28) ....(50 cards)

1996-2002 ...... 1888 ALLEN & GINTER (N29) ....(50 cards)

1999-2004 ...... T206 [520 cards (plus 35 diff. backs)].... 2nd SET

TO BE CONTINUED......

[COLOR="Blue"]TED Z

Ted,

Drop the mic!! Amazing collection!

drmondobueno
08-10-2016, 09:58 AM
Started collecting again around 2012 after selling my childhood collection in the mid 80's to pay for a divorce attorney. Would lke to think it was money well spent but it was not.

So built a short set of T206, got bored, sold it. Besides sets in my signature, completed the '35 Goudey, '64 Topps Giants, '65 Topps, '74 Capital Publishing, and working on R312, '55,'56,58, '59, 60 and '61 Topps on and off (mostly off). Also working on a Clemente set, graded for base cards, ungraded for all the cool stuff.

Also have a nice bunch of Wrigh McGill bamboo rods I fish and occasionally build a rod from scratch for friends. Older bamboo stuff seems to go hand in hand with the sets from the 20s, 30's and fifties...

tedzan
08-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Continuing from Post #51 the timeline of my various Sportscards sets......

Year ............... Completed Set(s)

1985-1988 ...... 1953 TOPPS (274 cards)

1985-1992 ...... 1954 TOPPS >> 1965 TOPPS.... (12 sets) inclusive

1986-1990 ...... 1966 TOPPS (598 cards).... (2 sets)

1987-1991 ...... 1967 TOPPS >> 1973 TOPPS.... (7 sets) inclusive

1988-1992 ...... 1974 TOPPS (660 cards).... (2 sets)

1986-1991 ...... 1975 TOPPS (660 cards).... (2 sets)

1988-1993 ...... 1975 TOPPS MINI (660 cards).... (2 sets)

1986-1995 ...... 1976 TOPPS >> 1980 TOPPS.... (5 sets) inclusive

1981-1987 ...... 1981 >> 1987 TOPPS.... (7 sets) inclusive

1981-1984 ...... 1981 to 1984 DONRUSS.... (5 sets) inclusive

1981-1983 ...... 1981 to 1983 FLEER.... (3 sets) inclusive

1984-1990 ...... 1949 BOWMAN PCL (36 cards).... (2 sets)

1982-1998 ...... 1949 LEAF BB [49 cards (2nd Series)]

1982-1984 ...... 1959 FLEER Ted Williams (2 sets)

2010-2014 ...... T209 (color set of 15 cards)

2006 ...... T206 PIEDMONT-only set [519 cards (includes Magie)].... 3rd T206 set

2007 ...... T206 SOVEREIGN-only set (408 cards complete).... 4th T206 set

2008 ...... T206 SWEET CAPORAL (Factory #30)-only set [467 cards complete (no Plank, no Wagner)].... 5th T206 set

1981-2016 ...... 1952 TOPPS Master Set (currently have 526 cards of 555 cards to complete).... still need 29 mid-Series Gray Backs

That's All Folks !

TED Z

brob28
08-11-2016, 03:04 PM
Wow Ted, kind of hard to follow that :D amazing collection!!

I'm a little bit of both as for set builder or not. Collected as a child and like most stopped for several years (kept my childhood cards) and would just pick up a few packs here and there to see what was new. When my first child (a son) was born in 2005 life changed, less travel and going out etc. I had a lot more home-time so I decided to build a set to give to him when he was older and chose the 2005 Cracker Jack set. Around this time, while looking through my childhood collection came across a few 1956 Topps cards and I fell in love with the beauty of the set, the spark took. I have since finished '56 and '61 Topps, all the 70's and some early 1980's. My OCD spills over into condition & all variations so my sets take a while to complete (the '72 set almost did me in). I'm currently 98% finished with the Topps '62 master set.

As for why I'm a little bit of both is over the past 11 years while completing my sets, I have also been working on '33 Goudey HOF's, T206 Hall of Famers (back run hopefully), '64 Topps Standup HOF group and many of the Topps All star subsets, 1960 being my personal favorite. I also pick ups specific individual cards with no intention of completing the entire set. My collecting interests seem to meander every which way like an old river. As an example, just the other day I picked up a Topps Venezualan from a board member my first and most likely my last. :p

This hobby offers so many ways to enjoy it, great stories guys!

Jobu
08-11-2016, 03:14 PM
I am not a set builder because my interests are too varied and the sets I would be interested in collecting cost too much money for me to swing, but I just wanted to say that you guys are awesome!

bnorth
08-11-2016, 03:50 PM
I have 2 vintage sets. I bought a very nice complete 59 Fleer Ted Williams set from a fellow member a couple years ago. Then a year or so ago a fellow member asked if I wanted some junk era cards for free to look for error cards. Of course I said yes and thank you. I expected maybe a 400 count box, what I received for free blew my mind. I got a medium flat rate box completely full of cards.

That leads to my second set. In the box was a handful of 55 Bowman including several minor star and a few star player cards. So I made it a point to finish that beautiful set with cards buy buying only from fellow members. Still have about a dozen cards to go with the only big name left being the Aaron card.

Building the 55 Bowman set has been super fun but even with the stack of free cards and some great deals it would still have been cheaper to buy a complete set. That being said I will still build another vintage set when I am done with this one. The fun of piecing the set together has been worth way more than the extra price for me.

conor912
08-11-2016, 03:54 PM
Started collecting again around 2012 after selling my childhood collection in the mid 80's to pay for a divorce attorney.

This is only reason I won't leave my wife:)

conor912
08-11-2016, 03:56 PM
the '72 set almost did me in

I was working on a Topps run and got about 90% the way there until the '72 high numbers broke my spirit and I gave up, sold the entire collection, and moved to prewar.

Leon
08-15-2016, 02:39 PM
This is only reason I won't leave my wife:)

That's funny. My wife always knew/knows about my collection. Just yesterday she asked what the "new" one is worth? After the first year or two of adult collecting (around 20 yrs ago) I have been transparent with her with respect to my habits. :)

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-15-2016, 05:45 PM
That's funny. My wife always knew/knows about my collection. Just yesterday she asked what the "new" one is worth? After the first year or two of adult collecting (around 20 yrs ago) I have been transparent with her with respect to my habits. :)

Same here, Leon. My wife knows all the dirty details regarding my collecting. She's an accountant...I am pretty much screwed.

Leon
08-16-2016, 06:43 AM
Same here, Leon. My wife knows all the dirty details regarding my collecting. She's an accountant...I am pretty much screwed.

I have a pretty funny story about wifey finding out the first time I ever spent serious (for me) money on a card. It involved beer and a pool party at a resort. It is best told over more beer though so I will save it for next year's national.

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-16-2016, 04:41 PM
I have a pretty funny story about wifey finding out the first time I ever spent serious (for me) money on a card. It involved beer and a pool party at a resort. It is best told over more beer though so I will save it for next year's national.

Ha...I bet that would be a good story! My wife has loosened up somewhat, but I can and do stress her out from time to time. :eek:

Thurman15
06-08-2017, 06:30 AM
Started building my sets about a year ago and here is what it left:

Topps 1969--Need the following

Topps 1971--Need the following

Topps 1972--Need the following

Second Topps 1983 Set--Need the following

Completed Sets

Topps 1970 NM COMPLETE
Topps 1973 NM COMPLETE
Topps 1974 NM COMPLETE
Topps 1975 NM COMPLETE
Topps 1976 NM COMPLETE
Topps 1977 NM-MT COMPLETE
Topps 1978 NM-MT COMPLETE
Topps 1978 (2) NM COMPLETE
Topps 1979 NM-MT COMPLETE
Topps 1980 NM-MT COMPLETE
Fleer 1981 NM-MT to MT COMPELTE
Topps 1981 NM-MT to MT COMPLETE
Fleer 1982 NM-MT to MT COMPLETE
Topps 1982 NM-MT to MT COMPLETE
Topps 1983 NM-MT to MT COMPLETE
Fleer 1983 NM-MT to MT COMPLETE
Topps 1984 NM-MT to MT COMPLETE
Fleer 1984 NM-MT to MT COMPLETE

Vintagevault13
06-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Started building my sets about a year ago and here is what it left:

Topps 1969--Need the following

Topps 1971--Need the following

Topps 1972--Need the following

Second Topps 1983 Set--Need the following

Completed Sets

Topps1970NM COMPLETE

Topps1973NM COMPLETE

Topps1974NM COMPLETE

Topps1975NM COMPLETE

Topps1976NM COMPLETE

Topps1977NM-MT COMPLETE

Topps1978NM-MT COMPLETE

Topps1978 (2)NM COMPLETE

Topps1979NM-MT COMPLETE

Topps1980NM-MT COMPLETE

Fleer1981NM-MT to MT COMPELTE

Topps1981NM-MT to MT COMPLETE

Fleer1982NM-MT to MT COMPLETE

Topps1982NM-MT to MT COMPLETE

Topps1983NM-MT to MT COMPLETE

Fleer1983NM-MT to MT COMPLETE

Topps1984NM-MT to MT COMPLETE

Fleer1984NM-MT to MT COMPLETE

Very nice collection. I know it has to be exciting to be getting so close on some tough sets (69, 71, 72). Congrats and good luck. Keep us updated.