PDA

View Full Version : Forgery

shelly
08-05-2016, 11:17 AM
I was looking through Heritage and found this.

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/joe-dimaggio-mickey-mantle-and-ted-williams-multi-signed-oversized-photograph/a/151632-41168.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I called and told them it is a Marino forgery. It has been pre approved by psa.

RichardSimon
08-05-2016, 11:23 AM
How did that one get into Heritage?

Klrdds
08-05-2016, 11:23 AM
Good eye on catching that. The Mantle is awful, a very poor forgery !!! It doesn't surprise me that PSA has screwed up again the question is will it get pulled and will PSA and that idiot Grad admit they screwed up. Pre approved or not.

Leon
08-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Nice catch guys. I have a feeling this will be taken down.....

thetruthisoutthere
08-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Good eye on catching that. The Mantle is awful, a very poor forgery !!! It doesn't surprise me that PSA has screwed up again the question is will it get pulled and will PSA and that idiot Grad admit they screwed up. Pre approved or not.

I doubt very much if PSA authenticated that.

It's one of those Pre-Certs. PSA does not do Pre-Certs.

shelly
08-05-2016, 01:28 PM

Chris you are wrong. Here is there description of the piece.

Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams Multi-Signed Oversized Photograph. Offered here is an oversized photograph signed by Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams. Signed by each ink averaging EX quality, it measures at 16x20". Pre-Certified by PSA/DNA.

Klrdds
08-05-2016, 01:31 PM
here is the description directly off the website's listing :

DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams Multi-Signed Oversized Photograph. Offered here is an oversized photograph signed by Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams. Signed by each ink averaging EX quality, it measures at 16x20". Pre-Certified by PSA/DNA.

Guide Value or Estimate: $400 - $600.

Just as posted by Shelly forgive the redundence.

thetruthisoutthere
08-05-2016, 01:44 PM
Chris you are wrong. Here is there description of the piece.

Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams Multi-Signed Oversized Photograph. Offered here is an oversized photograph signed by Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams. Signed by each ink averaging EX quality, it measures at 16x20". Pre-Certified by PSA/DNA.

Shelly, with all due respect, just because Heritage writes "Pre-Certified" by PSA doesn't mean that PSA "Pre-Certified" it.

RichardSimon
08-05-2016, 01:47 PM

Chris,

Sorry but you are wrong on this one.
RR Auctions is almost totally pre-certed by PSA.
The pre-cert is listed on most of the pages of RR Auctions.
I have been a bidder and consignor with RR and I know that PSA has been doing that for many years for RR.

http://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=823
http://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=822

thetruthisoutthere
08-05-2016, 02:05 PM
The status on that auction is "Withdrawn."

RichardSimon
08-05-2016, 02:11 PM

Thanks to Shelly.
The bid was $260 when Shelly contacted them.

jad22
08-05-2016, 03:08 PM
http://www.rrauction.com/psafaq.cfm

irv
08-05-2016, 03:47 PM
The more I read about PSA the more I dislike them.

And to think, there was nothing but a huge line up at the National for their "Expertise" :rolleyes:

bnorth
08-05-2016, 04:38 PM
The more I read about PSA the more I dislike them.

And to think, there was nothing but a huge line up at the National for their "Expertise" :rolleyes:

Their marketing department is second to none. That and so many have so much invested in their magic plastic slabs they just make excuses for anything bad, some are very funny to read.:)

Leon
08-05-2016, 05:20 PM

I had a feeling it would be... :)

btcarfagno
08-06-2016, 06:54 AM
That is one of the most forged photos out there. By my count, I have seen maybe 10 forgeries on it for every genuine one. I would think that Heritage would be especially cautious with that one in particular

Tom C

RichardSimon
08-06-2016, 08:13 AM
That is one of the most forged photos out there. By my count, I have seen maybe 10 forgeries on it for every genuine one. I would think that Heritage would be especially cautious with that one in particular

Tom C

It allegedly had a PSA Pre Cert, why be cautious? :confused::confused::eek:
Though I do find it hard to believe that PSA actually looked at this item.
But some poor collector, who cannot think for himself, was prepared to pay $260 for it,,, must have been one of those Kool Aid drinkers.

jad22
08-06-2016, 09:22 AM
It allegedly had a PSA Pre Cert, why be cautious? :confused::confused::eek:
Though I do find it hard to believe that PSA actually looked at this item.
But some poor collector, who cannot think for himself, was prepared to pay $260 for it,,, must have been one of those Kool Aid drinkers.

From the PSA Website:

"A PSA/DNA Pre-Certified lot is one that has been reviewed by PSA/DNA autograph experts. The winning bidder of any lot that contains this special designation will be eligible for a substantial discount if they choose to submit the autographs directly to PSA/DNA. To take advantage of this special offer, the items must be submitted within 60 days of the auction close with receipt or proof of purchase from the auction house."

Whats worse, not looking at it and saying it is good or looking at it and saying its good?

RichardSimon
08-06-2016, 10:45 AM

Tom C

Based on what I have seen I too would say this is a multi forged photo. Looks like Mr Marino sold these by the hundreds.

Bcwcardz
08-12-2016, 06:15 PM
All this crap is forged and I don't trust any authentication service. They are as much an expert as myself. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has got one. The auction house only took it down because they got caught otherwise it's all good. Fraud is rampant in this industry and it's very very sad. It's all about the $$$$. I don't get how they keep peddling crap that isn't real. These people have an endless supply of HOF autographs. That's a little suspect. I remember back in the 90s some joker wanted to pay me for some auto repair work I did with memorabilia he had aquired. It was a Kobe and Magic auto which was a horrible forgery. He told me the guy he got it from had a warehouse full of stuff like that. It just dumbfounded me that people bought this and there was no consequences for selling it. Totally amazing and it's still going strong. 😢

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Republicaninmass
08-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Once it went for a real authentication, the buyer would get his money back. I doubt any of these were even looked at by psa. It's easier, and cheaper to write pre-certification, and just refund if they don't pass.