PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan STAR cards. Let's hear some opinions!

DirtyT
08-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here. Been collecting for 22 years now and have been a long time lurker of this forum. I've noticed that this part of the forum doesn't seem to get nearly as many visitors as the baseball sections, so hopefully enough people will see this and we can get an active discussion going.

I was curious what you all think about the 80's Michael Jordan Star cards. The #101 XRC seems to have finally exploded in price recently, so I was wondering if you guys think this could eventually trickle down to his other Star cards? These are MJ's earliest cards and I believe he has 22 total not including the 5x7's.

Looking at the BGS Pop Report, the population of these cards is ridiculously low. The highest population of any individual Jordan Star card is his 84/85 Olympics #195 with a total population of 510! Again, that's the HIGHEST population of all Jordan Stars. What happens when collectors start wanting to build complete Jordan Star sets? The competition for high grades will be insane.

In addition to that, getting a GEM Mint grade on these cards is nearly impossible. Hell, even getting a 9 Mint is nearly impossible for most of these cards. They were cut so terribly bad.

So I ask, what does Net54 think the future beholds for these cards? Will they ever see a rapid increase similar to the #101 XRC? Will they increase slowly but surely? Or will they stay stagnant because they're simply not as important as the 101 XRC and don't have the same following as other sets?

sushihotwings
08-02-2016, 08:18 AM
I mostly lurk, but I am a collector of Star basketball and have been buying some in recent months. To me, it is significant that many of the most important players of the 80s had Star cards that were produced before 86 Fleer so I have been focused on those names like Jordan, Barkley, Ewing, Stockton, Drexler etc. Like you mentioned there are different subsets as well so Jordan has multiple cards including a couple of 5x7 size which are really unique. Many of these cards are still fairly affordable and Beckett grades them so you can be fairly sure you are getting authentic. Prices have been slowly climbing in recent months and I think they will continue to rise. Production numbers were tight and the rumors of printing presses being restarted to print more of the originals have long been debunked.

murphy8276
08-11-2016, 02:49 PM
Have a good look at the new official Star cards website. Previously Linked.

http://www.basketballgold.com/