PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Montiel Propagandas experts out there?

JoeDfan
07-28-2016, 06:53 PM
I got this raw 1946-47 Montiel DiMaggio in the mail today. I had the SGC one already, thinking I would send the new one in, and if it graded higher, I would keep that one and sell the other.

But then I noticed that the backs are different. So my questions for you experts are: Are there multiple variations of this card? If yes, is one version harder to find than the others?

I thought maybe the new one is counterfeit, but it is the right kind of paper (very thin), and under the microscope, the print dots look the same on both cards.

Ok, experts, help me out!

Thanks,
Sean

bnorth
07-28-2016, 07:01 PM
They are both good just different backs.:)

DBesse27
07-28-2016, 10:01 PM
Awesome cards!

Harford20
07-29-2016, 08:15 AM
The Montiel cards can present both with different backs as you note, but also with different fronts. The borders can be seen in both a yellow border and an orange/red border. I have not found any specific singular front/back combos, although getting multiple cards of any single player is very difficult (just not enough numbers of cards out there).

Dave

JoeDfan
08-01-2016, 07:20 AM
Thanks everyone!

Snapolit1
01-18-2017, 05:08 PM
The Montiel cards can present both with different backs as you note, but also with different fronts. The borders can be seen in both a yellow border and an orange/red border. I have not found any specific singular front/back combos, although getting multiple cards of any single player is very difficult (just not enough numbers of cards out there).

Dave

Dave - is it safe to assume that the orange/red is scarcer than the yellow? Seems that way from my eBay trolling.

Harford20
01-20-2017, 08:28 AM
Steve,
Again limited experience to only baseball in the Montiel set, and even more specific baseball Major League players in the set.

To answer your question, YES, in my data collection and cards I own, the orange/red border is about 20% of the Montiel's of a specific player and yellow the remaining 80%. Just as a caveat, these cards are often found with the border color removed and that may alter the data some.

Dave

Snapolit1
01-20-2017, 01:23 PM
Steve,
Again limited experience to only baseball in the Montiel set, and even more specific baseball Major League players in the set.

To answer your question, YES, in my data collection and cards I own, the orange/red border is about 20% of the Montiel's of a specific player and yellow the remaining 80%. Just as a caveat, these cards are often found with the border color removed and that may alter the data some.

Dave

Thanks.