PDA

View Full Version : T206 storage? Albums, top loaders or slabs?

bravos4evr
07-26-2016, 04:40 PM
I was wondering how most of you store your T206 cards, as a noob to collecting them I am leaning towards an album just for the ease of looking at my collection as it grows, but this seems to present the largest risk for damage. Top loaders are safer but kinda bland and with all those little tobacco loaders clattering around, it seems kinda lame. Slabs seem the best option, but they are kinda ugly and it's expensive to have so many low dollar commons graded just for protection purposes.

so what say you?

Luke
07-26-2016, 05:24 PM
Good question. When I started, I got a few SGC 30s and said I was going to only collect SGC 30s. Then I decided that was dumb but I would still only get SGC graded cards. Then I decided that was dumb too and started getting PSA and raw cards. I had the raw cards in card savers the same size as the graded cards. Then I switched to the little tobacco top loaders. Then I got a binder to put those top loaders in. Then I realized there were 3 layers of plastic between me and the card so I switched to the smallest size of card saver. That's where I'm at right now and it feels like that's what I will stay with. The only thing I never have or will try is putting raw cards directly into a binder. Too scary for me.

bravos4evr
07-26-2016, 05:28 PM
Good question. When I started, I got a few SGC 30s and said I was going to only collect SGC 30s. Then I decided that was dumb but I would still only get SGC graded cards. Then I decided that was dumb too and started getting PSA and raw cards. I had the raw cards in card savers the same size as the graded cards. Then I switched to the little tobacco top loaders. Then I got a binder to put those top loaders in. Then I realized there were 3 layers of plastic between me and the card so I switched to the smallest size of card saver. That's where I'm at right now and it feels like that's what I will stay with. The only thing I never have or will try is putting raw cards directly into a binder. Too scary for me.

see therein lies the conundrum. I would like to be able to look at my stuff without the thick top loader (plus i think a binder of t206 would look amazing) but card safety comes into play..... it's like a 3 ring binder page made out of top loader material would be the best answer.

Cozumeleno
07-26-2016, 05:32 PM
I use D-ring binders with slip covers and have yet to have any issues. My set is also mostly lower grade in P-VG condition, though. If I were collecting higher grade cards, I wouldn't recommend just a binder. But as someone who's had them in toploaders previously, the convenience of being able to see them in a binder gives the best experience.

I was wondering how most of you store your T206 cards, as a noob to collecting them I am leaning towards an album just for the ease of looking at my collection as it grows, but this seems to present the largest risk for damage. Top loaders are safer but kinda bland and with all those little tobacco loaders clattering around, it seems kinda lame. Slabs seem the best option, but they are kinda ugly and it's expensive to have so many low dollar commons graded just for protection purposes.

so what say you?

Billy5858
07-26-2016, 06:15 PM
I'm just starting my march with the Monster.
I have always bought PSA cards, but there are so
many T206's I've decided to buy raw cards only for
The commons. Raw cards are a new thing for me so
It's pretty cool actually feeling and smelling a real card.
I'm gonna collect a low grade set because I also buy high
grade other cards too. I'll go broke.

So for me Commons I buy raw and put
into a binder 15 to a page. I don't use the
top row because it seems like they will get damaged.

Southern League and HOFs I buy
PSA 2 or 3 to keep them protected

LuckyLarry
07-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Eventually I want to re-organize my cards from alphabetical order and sort by teams. I think that would be sweet.
Larry
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/IMG_3317.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/IMG_3317.jpg.html)

tiger8mush
07-26-2016, 06:43 PM
a couple hundred in binder pages, maybe 10-15 in slabs, and about 50 in a raw stack.

cincyredlegs
07-26-2016, 06:45 PM
Great topic as I was having this same discussion this weekend with some friends. I think the answer is what you prefer as a collector.

I think if you are buying as an investment to sell then get them all graded.

If your buying as a collector and not selling (at least in the near future) then you have options. Luke brings up some good options.

I started out doing all SGC. I have decided that I am going raw IN a binder except for my HOF's and some special cards. Most of my collection is in the SGC 40 range. I will end up displaying my graded cards on the wall.

My issue with everything graded is you just don't get to enjoy them as much IMO. It's so hard to look through 500 slabs vs going through a binder.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark

unamuzd1
07-26-2016, 06:52 PM
I picked "top loaders," but I actually do top loaders in albums. It can get clunky, and by the time I'm done the albums will take up a whole shelf, but it's so nice to flip through them...

FourStrikes
07-26-2016, 07:04 PM
a few hundred T205-T206-T207,etc. - mixed condition - from horsesh!t (only a few!) to vg or better, housed in (16 card) album pages since I've had them.

HOFers (nothing serious - NO Cobbs, etc) are in card savers or similar.

NOTHING graded for me as of yet - I've had these since the 1980's, so all of the above work for me.

P.S.: YMMV.

egri
07-26-2016, 07:43 PM
I'm curious if those of you who use binders have ever seen cards get damaged in the binder? The reason I ask is my project is currently about 1/3 in slabs and the rest in toploaders, and I'm thinking a binder will be easier to view and store, but I am worried about the safety of the cards when they're in pages.

FourStrikes
07-26-2016, 07:49 PM
I'm curious if those of you who use binders have ever seen cards get damaged in the binder? The reason I ask is my project is currently about 1/3 in slabs and the rest in toploaders, and I'm thinking a binder will be easier to view and store, but I am worried about the safety of the cards when they're in pages.

thus far (knockin' on wood!) NO safety issues.

LuckyLarry
07-26-2016, 08:29 PM
Store your binders like this, or the pages sometimes fold over. T206 set in the binder on left. The binder on the right includes some 20 pocket sheets that are a bit oversized, but they hold my '64 Topps coins so no worries.
Larry
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/IMG_3429.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/IMG_3429.jpg.html)

Eggoman
07-27-2016, 06:02 AM
My T205s are in a binder, mostly VG to VG-EX. Although I have a number of graded T205s, I make a copy of them, front and back using my scanner and photo quality paper and insert the copy into the binder. That way I can STILL see all of my cards - even the graded ones!

Kinda looks like this - a Chase, Chance, Cicotte, Clarke, Cobb, a Collins, and Crider are all graded.

sb1
07-27-2016, 07:00 AM
I have T205, T206 and T207 sets all in 10 pocket page in Nostalgia Albums. Also kept my E107's in them. I store them flat and have
had zero problems. I also used to use the 6 pocket pages for Goudey, etc.

Bliggity
07-27-2016, 07:11 AM
I highly recommend these binders & slip covers from Archival Methods. I have raw E-90, '34 Goudey, and '53 Bowman sets in them. They keep the cards very well-protected and I've never had problems with damage. I put a piece of black card stock at the front and back, and between each page, because I like to see each page on a black background - but this also helps tremendously with avoiding the pages sinking down.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah316/dmblau/Binders_zpsvy21a70a.jpg

Archival Methods (http://www.archivalmethods.com/product/binders-slip-case-set)

Cozumeleno
07-27-2016, 07:18 AM

No issues on my end. I use the Lighthouse Vario rectangular-ring (I said D-ring earlier...I meant to say the rectangular ring, which is square on all sides) binders since the circular/rounded rings can damage the sides of the cards. Even the D-ring binders have the circular edge one one side which can crimp into the side of the page when flipped depending on the pages you are using. The covers are thick and sturdy and the top of the pages sit a good 1/2" below the top of the binder. I also keep the binder inside of a slip cover to enclose the whole thing. I cannot stress how important it is to have one - I would not personally recommend using a binder without one.

Here is an example of one on eBay (not my listing): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lighthouse-Vario-G-Red-Stamp-Album-3-Ring-Binder-w-Slipcase-jd-/222191361809?hash=item33bba31f11:g:9jwAAOSwwpdW5Ld o

Can damage happen to cards in a binder? Yes. More easily than toploaders? Yes. I've stored cards both ways and the cards are more protected when they are in card savers. My teenage nephew wanted to flip through my binder once and I had to show him how to carefully turn the pages. Carelessness could lead to damaging the cards if in binders. But I haven't had any problems and for my lower-grade collection, the binders work fine.

dabigyankeeman
07-27-2016, 07:41 AM
I keep them in sheets in albums, love the way they display. As a Yankee collector, its a great display of 28 cards, and then I have my other Yankees tobacco card team sets (T205, T207) in the sheets in albums too. Also misc other old Yankee tobacco cards. I really like the look of them in the sheets, and its the easiest way IMHO to go thru and look at them.

dabigyankeeman
07-27-2016, 07:42 AM

I have never had damage from a card once its in place. However, like a fool, in the past I have tried moving some around and in pulling a card out and putting it back in I have damaged some tobacco and strip cards. Never again, now I carefully put a card in and then never touch it. I use D-ring binders and i lay my binders FLAT, not standing up.

sb1
07-27-2016, 08:42 AM
Get a pair of stamp tongs to remove and insert the cards into the album pages and will greatly reduce the chances of damaging them.

Joshchisox08
07-27-2016, 09:30 AM
The only thing I never have or will try is putting raw cards directly into a binder. Too scary for me.

Very similar to Luke but this takes the cake! I don't know how anyone is able to put them in a binder.

I've got some slabbed on display in a case in my living room. Lots of PSA, SGC, and Raw cards tucked away in a shoe box :(

T206Collector
07-27-2016, 09:42 AM
I've experimented with binders, but there is too much risk in hurting the card on the way in and out. I stick with penny sleeves in toploaders, with EX+ cards in slabs.

tab
07-27-2016, 10:52 AM
I have a binder, raw cards and the majority are graded. Not because I expect to get big bucks. The #1 reason I like them slabbed is for protection! I can't mess them up easily. #2 is that i know they are real and not reprints. ( although I'm sure someone could swap cards and put reprints in.

Jantz
07-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Nick

I would have to pick "All of the above", but that wasn't an option in your poll.

Although I will say again that no words can describe a T206 set in a binder.

The Nasty Nati
07-27-2016, 02:26 PM
Is there such thing as sleeves that can hold top loaders?

Ultra pro use to sell binder sleeves that held PSA slabs, those were great but they discontinued them for some reason.

unamuzd1
07-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Is there such thing as sleeves that can hold top loaders?

Ultra pro use to sell binder sleeves that held PSA slabs, those were great but they discontinued them for some reason.
Ultra-Pro's 4-pocket postcard pages hold top loaders just fine. The slots are a bit on the roomy side, but are also big enough to hold slabbed cards. Because PSA slabs are a little thinner than SGC/BVG slabs, they actually fit better in those pages. I posted a pic a few weeks ago of a 4-pocket page with a mix of SGC and PSA slabbed cards in it.

bravos4evr
07-29-2016, 04:54 PM
I am surprised to report that over 73% of respondents either prefer albums or top loaders. Honestly, when I made this poll I thought that would be the likely % of "slabs" seems like grading is uber popular here.

Leon
07-30-2016, 07:13 AM
I have almost always stored my pre-war in ultra pro toploaders. However, if I was a set collector I might prefer albums. They are easy to look at that way...

bbcard1
07-30-2016, 07:40 AM
There are precious few parts of my collection that I am happy with the organization and display, but this is one of them. Probably twenty years ago or more I bought an antique patterns set of drawers from a retiring optometrist...It was probably $10 or so. It's not too large. (sorry for the upside down post).

It accommodates standard top loaders, which I like. I don't like how T206s flop around in the top loaders but I was able to come up with some inserts I like that I think help the cards stand out (most of my set would average G, with some highlights going to EX and the lowlights (Ohara/Demmitt) a clear P.

I put each in a top loader with an insert and then package them in a team set bag and alphabetize them. Easy access, fast to find. I can get a full 520 set in a relatively small storage area. If I ever decide to sell of the higher grade or major HOFers of course i would have them graded, but the idea of having a 500+ card set in slabs would take up an inordinate amount of room.

frankbmd
07-30-2016, 09:04 AM
A fully slabbed monster weighs less than 100 pounds. Since I have been looking at my cards daily, I have been able to cancel my gym membership.

asoriano
07-30-2016, 01:23 PM
Although I will say again that no words can describe a T206 set in a binder.

Couldn't agree more, Jantz. Another vote for raw cards in a binder.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2n7mqg3.jpg

bravos4evr
07-30-2016, 02:58 PM
no kidding, those look marvelous!

matty39
07-30-2016, 03:46 PM
Here is my full set of 205s in top loaders and attached to my wall. The room is humidity controlled with no outside light. They have been on that wall for over ten years with no damage to the cards.

bravos4evr
07-30-2016, 03:56 PM
are those thumbtacks through the top loaders?

that looks really nice btw, down here in south mississippi I wouldn't dare do that, too many storms mean lost power and 99% humidity days during hurricane season. I'd be constantly putting it up and taking it down.

matty39
07-30-2016, 08:30 PM
Yes, those are thumb tacks through the top loaders on a soft felt board background. I guess Minnesota has a little drier climate most of the year.

Leon
08-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Here is my full set of 205s in top loaders and attached to my wall. The room is humidity controlled with no outside light. They have been on that wall for over ten years with no damage to the cards.

Very cool display!!

the 'stache
08-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Poll is closed, but my T206s are a combination of slabbed and in top loaders.

cammb
08-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Since I only collect SGC graded T 206, I found a way to look at them through an album. I just photocopy the slab .

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i416/cammb1/005.jpg (http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/cammb1/media/005.jpg.html)

bravos4evr
08-04-2016, 01:53 PM
damn that is a good idea!

btw, those SGC slabs are far superior to the PSA as far as looks. the black surround really makes those cards pop

david_l
08-05-2016, 07:57 AM
Question for you all storing your tobacco cards in binders. I'm sorry if this has been asked before..

I see that most of you store your cards in fifteen pocket sleeves instead of twenty pocket sleeves. I haven't used twenty pocket sleeves before but am considering it.

Is there a reason that they're not popularly used? Is it aesthetics or functionality!

Thanks!

Cozumeleno
08-05-2016, 09:44 PM
I think most of the reason they are not as popular is because the cards, when not trimmed, stick out at the tops a bit.

I use them because most of my cards are in lower-grade (mostly P-VG) condition and I tend to be very careful with them. But if you are collecting mid-grade or high-grade raw cards, I would not use them. You cannot fit as many cards into a binder with the 15-pocket sleeves, but you can still easily fit a set. Part of the reason I like them is because it allows me to put my T205s, T206s, and T207s all into one binder.

Question for you all storing your tobacco cards in binders. I'm sorry if this has been asked before..

I see that most of you store your cards in fifteen pocket sleeves instead of twenty pocket sleeves. I haven't used twenty pocket sleeves before but am considering it.

Is there a reason that they're not popularly used? Is it aesthetics or functionality!

Thanks!

Billy5858
08-05-2016, 10:41 PM
I use 20 pocket sleeves but only use the bottom
15 pockets. I find when using the top row
Some of the cards stick up just a hair and
Can get damaged.

david_l
08-06-2016, 07:16 AM
Thanks all. Insightful.

One more dumb question. When using the fifteen pocket sleeves, is there a method for getting the card back out? I've noticed that with those deep sleeves it can be a little tricky extracting a card.

Billy5858
08-06-2016, 07:23 PM
Thanks all. Insightful.

One more dumb question. When using the fifteen pocket sleeves, is there a method for getting the card back out? I've noticed that with those deep sleeves it can be a little tricky extracting a card.

Postage stamp collectors flat tip tongs??

sandmountainslim
11-26-2016, 04:03 PM
I collect raw n rough T206 cards and until this week I had them all in toploaders in my safe. I decided to change them out and into a binder which is what I keep my Goudey, Topps and Exhibits are kept in. My other cards seem to remain intact in a binder so I figured the 206 beaters will also. I really prefer cards in a binder instead of bulky toploaders.

BruceinGa
11-26-2016, 04:43 PM
All of my T205's and 206's (not that many) are slabbed. I like the idea of scanning the slabs, cropping the cards from the scans and putting them in a binder.

asoriano
11-26-2016, 09:45 PM
Postage stamp collectors flat tip tongs??

This was a great suggestion, Bill. I picked up a couple pairs a few weeks ago and they are absolutely perfect. Thank you!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370967062060?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT