PDA

View Full Version : Question on woodcut collection

aquarius31
07-26-2016, 03:16 PM
Hi, I know this is a long shot but does anyone have additional photographs of these prints or the list of teams included in this larger assortment?

http://www.oldjudge.com/archive/20100401/headliners/5/

I want to document some of the more obscure publications and while I've uncovered the sources of some of these woodcuts, I want to dig deeper. In some instances, I suspect these are supplements. I can't find any links to previously mentioned sale of this item and it's quite possible that some of the photos may be in a physical auction catalog. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here's one example. The Brooklyn Excelsiors woodcut is NOT from the well known NY Clipper publication. It is derived from a later (and more obscure publication), the Sporting Gazette. This is truly a needle in a haystack exercise!

bcbgcbrcb
07-26-2016, 08:44 PM
George:

I saw the entire collection in person when it was auctioned. I was prepared to spend around $4K but it ended up not being nearly enough. Don't remember anything about it now but the NY Clippers were the highlight for me.

aquarius31
07-27-2016, 07:13 AM
George:

I saw the entire collection in person when it was auctioned. I was prepared to spend around $4K but it ended up not being nearly enough. Don't remember anything about it now but the NY Clippers were the highlight for me.

Thanks Phil. That must have been great to see in person! If there is provenance tying it to Chadwick, I can understand the reason it went so high. I own several of the NY Clippers but that still probably makes up only 25% of the entire set...they're great items. I'll keep poking around to see if there are other documented photos from this collection. Ideally, I'd find the owner as I'm guessing he/she will have scans of this great collectoin : )