PDA

View Full Version : How you receive a $600 jersey from Saco River

4scuda
07-25-2016, 04:10 PM
As I've said previously, I took my first step into game used jerseys by buying a 57 Pirates Sleeveless flannel. It arrived to in a padded envelope first class mail. Usually if you buy a tshirt they will put it in a plastic bag! No respect for history. I know its not fragile but come on, fold it nicely and put it in box.

ooo-ribay
07-25-2016, 06:36 PM
What did they charge you for shipping?

4scuda
07-25-2016, 07:16 PM
I am afraid to look. I am sure it was more than the $2.00 to send this first class.

Shoeless Moe
07-25-2016, 07:26 PM
I am afraid to look. I am sure it was more than the $2.00 to send this first class.

Well get unafraid.....you got an invoice, what does it say the shipping charge was?

Dewey
07-25-2016, 07:27 PM
What did they charge you for shipping?

What is a reasonable expectation for how they'd ship a $600 purchase? What would that cost? Those seem more pertinent questions.

A flimsy padded envelope and $2 first class shipping doesn't measure up to reasonable expectations by a long shot.

Donscards
07-25-2016, 08:17 PM
Well you sure got fast service. The auction ended wed night

ooo-ribay
07-25-2016, 08:26 PM
I can see why you would want safe and secure shipping on a $600 jersey.

That said, I really appreciate when an AH will send something cheaply, as long as I'm comfortable with that. There have been times when I've been pleasantly surprised when an AH will agree to forego the signature required, certified, etc.

4scuda
07-25-2016, 08:58 PM
$15 shipping and handling. I appreciate the fast shipping, but that doesn't make up the lack of care packing. Can't get the picture to upload of how it looked coming out of the package but it was haphazardly folded and just stuck in the envelope.

perezfan
07-25-2016, 09:45 PM
It's inexcusable. That packaging is beyond insufficient, and could easily have been punctured.

Thanks for the heads-up, as I now know not to bid with them.

Dewey
07-25-2016, 11:18 PM
What a strange response. Speed of shipping is largely irrelevant in this case. Slightly more relevant than saying, "well you sure got a pretty yellow envelope." But not much more. The question is, was shipping a $600 jersey in a padded envelope sufficient? If you think so, would you like a $600 card shipped the same way? Would you ship a $600 card that way, just so we know?

I don't understand the deflection from the only question that matters.

I've received photos packaged poorly. It pisses me off, even with safe arrival. It certainly impacts repeat shopping for me.

markf31
07-26-2016, 08:39 AM

What a strange response. Speed of shipping is largely irrelevant in this case. Slightly more relevant than saying, "well you sure got a pretty yellow envelope." But not much more. The question is, was shipping a $600 jersey in a padded envelope sufficient? If you think so, would you like a $600 card shipped the same way? Would you ship a $600 card that way, just so we know?

I don't understand the deflection from the only question that matters.

I've received photos packaged poorly. It pisses me off, even with safe arrival. It certainly impacts repeat shopping for me.

Couldn't agree more. Sacco could have just as easily shipped the jersey via FedEx or USPS in a medium box, for added protection and it most likely would not have impacted the delivery date anyways. And I'm sure just about all of us would gladly sacrifice a day or two of speed for added care in packaging and shipping.

$15 seems a little on the low side for shipping as well consider the cost of shipping insurance for a valuation of $600. Via the USPS that would be over $7.00 in insurance alone for $600 and via FedEX that would be $6.00 in insurance alone for $6.00. I certainly hope Sacco didn't realize they misquoted the shipping/handling on the invoice after the fact and made the decision to ship in a padded envelope as a result.

Saco River Auction
07-26-2016, 12:14 PM
I have spoken to my employee and made him read this thread. We are truly sorry the item was not handled differently and packaged correctly. My employee ships thousands of items per year and he is excellent at it as we only had 3 claims for damage in the past year, which is amazing considering we ship everything from lamps to paintings and all categories in between. Having said that..he was negligent with this item in how he packed it. He now realizes his mistake and I will deal with it internally. In all reality, no matter how proficient your employees are, mistakes do happen. We strive to have happy customers in all aspects of the auction business, because without consignors and buyers we are nothing. In Order to keep customers happy we have to strike a balance between shipping costs, buyers premiums, consignor rates etc. Sometimes in business we make mistakes. When your dealing with a massive volume and operating as often as we do, sometimes employees get complacent. I would like to apologize to the buyer and hope that he will forgive the error and continue to give us his business.

Sincerely,

Troy Thibodeau
Saco River Auction
207-650-5677

btcarfagno
07-26-2016, 01:25 PM
Saco has treated me very well in my dealings with them. They come up with some very interesting items as well. I look forward to all of their sports auctions (forgot about this past one however:mad:).

I'll be up there in two weeks. Staying at a hotel in Saco for two nights.

Tom C

4scuda
07-26-2016, 01:47 PM
Tom, I guess if you attend their auctions in person it would be fine as you don't have to worry about shipping. 21 percent buyers premium should give you the confidence that they are going to spend the time to do things right. Check old posts last time I bought from them the shipped my pennants folded in half on the bottom of the box with the heavier items on top. They have had interesting items, but so does everyone else.

CarltonHendricks
07-26-2016, 01:50 PM
I have spoken to my employee and made him read this thread. We are truly sorry the item was not handled differently and packaged correctly. My employee ships thousands of items per year and he is excellent at it as we only had 3 claims for damage in the past year, which is amazing considering we ship everything from lamps to paintings and all categories in between. Having said that..he was negligent with this item in how he packed it. He now realizes his mistake and I will deal with it internally. In all reality, no matter how proficient your employees are, mistakes do happen. We strive to have happy customers in all aspects of the auction business, because without consignors and buyers we are nothing. In Order to keep customers happy we have to strike a balance between shipping costs, buyers premiums, consignor rates etc. Sometimes in business we make mistakes. When your dealing with a massive volume and operating as often as we do, sometimes employees get complacent. I would like to apologize to the buyer and hope that he will forgive the error and continue to give us his business.

Sincerely,

Troy Thibodeau
Saco River Auction
207-650-5677

Now that's man'n up...addressed like a professional...

Mark/4Scuda...I feel your pain...Hopefully it wasn't wrinkled and everything will be OK with it...I too hate it when stuff isn't packed right...we spend a lot of time searching for this stuff and when you receive it you have every right to expect it well packed

I've pretty much seen it all for packing quality...Naturally the auction houses are held to a higher standard and you expect quality care and packing from them especially...but it's not always true....I'll never forget this one high profile New England auction house known for toy and advertising who sent a 3 foot x 14" framed puzzle with nothing but peanuts...amazingly it got to me without damage...

But it's eBay where you're really rolling the dice...With eBay...packing is the number one risk exposure...you never know how proficient they are going to be...

Dewey
07-26-2016, 02:17 PM
A nice, timely response from Troy. I think it is especially helpful to educate the employee by reading the thread to see it from the customer's perspective. A good restorative, rather than punitive, move. I like that a lot. Hope it helps future processing.

bigfish
07-26-2016, 03:21 PM
A fantastic and professional response from Saco River. They accepted responsibility and will make changes to correct the issue. I bid live and have stuff shipped from Saco River. I am satisfied with their service.

My offer to buy this item has been rescinded.

4scuda
07-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Toby,
Would you want me to stuff it back in the envelope when I send it to you?

Mark

bigfish
07-26-2016, 07:46 PM
I would expect you would be reasonable as Saco was in their response. They are going to fix the error. It was an error. You continue to go on and on. I get it to a point but they took responsibility for it.

My offer to buy this item has been refunded. I wish the OP the best is his persuit.

Respectfully,

Toby
Tp7161@yahoo.com

Dewey
07-26-2016, 10:15 PM
I don't see Mark as being a jerk. He's had two (from my reading) bad shipping experiences with Saco. He's rightly frustrated and this is a good place to express it.

For Saco's part, their response was great. But it is only a response to a complaint, we don't know if it is a change in actual process. I don't blame Mark for being frustrated at all.

Maybe Mark can write you a nice conciliatory message after he crams the jersey in a bag and sells it to you. Is that all you really want, Toby? Same shipping practice but a nice soothing message to make you calm down? If so, you're easy.

4scuda
07-27-2016, 06:59 AM
I would expect you would be reasonable as Saco was in their response. They are going to fix the error. It was an error. You continue to go on and on. I get it to a point but they took responsibility for it.

I have given you an out. Feel free to contact me if you want to sell it. Not trying to be an jerk but it's time to let it go..,,

Respectfully,

Toby
Tp7161@yahoo.com

I have sent you a pm with my address to PayPal me funds for the jersey.
Mark

7nohitter
07-27-2016, 07:40 AM
I feel Saco should have also refunded the shipping cost to Mark.

07-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Just be thankful they didn't ship it via shirt-cannon.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160727/155f3e1cb541ddbe4668db7293bc20a1.jpg

Leon
07-27-2016, 05:11 PM
The OP asked for this thread to be taken down so it will be locked. I hope everything gets worked out.