PDA

View Full Version : Nl roy

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-24-2016, 08:16 AM
Has there ever been a more ridiculous race?

Who ya got?

Story, Diaz, Saeger or Maeda? There's some other nice seasons but I don't think any of them can crack this top 4. Frankly I'm leaning towards Maeda. more than 1k an inning almost 4/1 K/BB ratio. Especially if he picks it up and becomes the ace with Kershaw down. I have been surprised that Story has kept up decent production. I thought he was just an early season flash in the pan.

FourStrikes
07-26-2016, 09:12 PM
[QUOTE I have been surprised that Story has kept up decent production. I thought he was just an early season flash in the pan.[/QUOTE]

agreed...as of tonight (07-26-2016) 27- HR / 71 RBI is impressive - disclaimer: haven't studied the Colorado "thin air" factor, but - that's still some fat numbers for a rookie - wish him well, and hoping the Colorado padded stats aren't TOO big of a factor forthcoming.

Beatles Guy
07-27-2016, 07:55 AM
Though Story will probably win because of the home runs, I'll be a homer and say Diaz. Diaz has a better OBP, AVG and WAR and Story has struck out more than double what Diaz has (126 to 50).

bn2cardz
07-27-2016, 09:45 AM
If Story wins that would be a huge dishonor to the others. He falls into the same category as most Rockies' greats. He does well at home, but falls short when not at Coors.

Home> AVG .313 / OBP .393 / SLG .693 / OPS 1.086
Away> AVG .232 / OBP .294 / SLG .470 / OPS .764

I, too as a homer, would prefer Diaz, but believe Seager will win and will have no issues with that.

chaddurbin
07-27-2016, 01:01 PM
if you park adjust the stats and overall play, it's seager right now...but gonna be hard for people to not vote for story if he jacks 40 home runs (analytics be damn).

i'm tired of the colorado franchise. pitching will never be right there and it skews the offense with the big ballpark. they haven't won in forever and not looking good going forward. just move the franchise to okc or vancouver...

bravos4evr
07-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Seager deserves it but Story will win it. The flashy counting stats will get him the little boost he needs. Barring a late collapse of course.

chaddurbin
08-01-2016, 08:14 AM
seager is 2nd in nl for positional players at fwar 5.0. he leads all mlb SS in war. in this golden age of young SS he's not just the best rc but the best SS right now seager correa bogaerts lindor etc. he could be an mvp candidate if he continues at the level and the dodgers win the west somehow w/o kershaw. i'm giving the voters the credit to do the right thing and not just look at traditional stats.

now watch him break his hand next week because i've jinxed him.

FourStrikes
08-02-2016, 06:42 PM
thumb surgery for Trevor Story, ending his ROY chances.

Aquarian Sports Cards
08-02-2016, 09:11 PM
seager is 2nd in nl for positional players at fwar 5.0. he leads all mlb SS in war. in this golden age of young SS he's not just the best rc but the best SS right now seager correa bogaerts lindor etc. he could be an mvp candidate if he continues at the level and the dodgers win the west somehow w/o kershaw. i'm giving the voters the credit to do the right thing and not just look at traditional stats.

now watch him break his hand next week because i've jinxed him.

Ah your jinx powers are a little wild, you missed your target. Right body part though!

Beatles Guy
08-03-2016, 07:42 AM
Diaz is out for a while with a broken thumb. Looks like it will be Seager's to lose.

Aquarian Sports Cards
08-04-2016, 08:03 PM
I know pitchers get no love but surprised nobody thinks Maeda is even worth a mention here.

Topps206
08-14-2016, 03:53 PM
I absolutely think Seager is the choice. Even when Story was healthy I still would've chose Seager
Story has the homers. Seager has everything else.

howard38
08-24-2016, 02:47 PM
Seager is now a virtual lock for the NL award but what about the mostly mundane crop of AL candidates? Im intrigued by the case for Gary Sanchez even though he has fewer than 80 plate appearances. Right no its probably Michael Fullmers to lose though with Tyler Naquin and Max Kepler also in the mix. Am I missing anybody?

bravos4evr
08-24-2016, 04:41 PM
Seager is now a virtual lock for the NL award but what about the mostly mundane crop of AL candidates? Im intrigued by the case for Gary Sanchez even though he has fewer than 80 plate appearances. Right no its probably Michael Fullmers to lose though with Tyler Naquin and Max Kepler also in the mix. Am I missing anybody?

I agree, I think it's Fulmer's to lose and the only one who can catch him is Naquin. It's gonna be tough to give it to Sanchez with so few plate appearances and games played.

howard38
08-24-2016, 05:38 PM
I agree, I think it's Fulmer's to lose and the only one who can catch him is Naquin. It's gonna be tough to give it to Sanchez with so few plate appearances and games played.
Sanchez probably won't win but he should end up with about the same number of plate appearances as Willie McCovey had when he won in 1959. I don't think Mac had any real competition though.

bravos4evr
08-24-2016, 08:22 PM
Sanchez probably won't win but he should end up with about the same number of plate appearances as Willie McCovey had when he won in 1959. I don't think Mac had any real competition though.

A good argument could be made for Vada Pinson or pitcher Jim Owens, but when you come up and hit .354/.429/.656 and 3.1 WAR in only 219 PA's.... you are gonna get a lot of attention.

Myself, I don't think that's enough to win ROY I think a guy who's been up for most of the year deserves it as he's had the time to hit slumps and deal with the grind of the long season.

howard38
08-24-2016, 09:12 PM
A good argument could be made for Vada Pinson or pitcher Jim Owens, but when you come up and hit .354/.429/.656 and 3.1 WAR in only 219 PA's.... you are gonna get a lot of attention.

Myself, I don't think that's enough to win ROY I think a guy who's been up for most of the year deserves it as he's had the time to hit slumps and deal with the grind of the long season.
Sanchez is on pace to top all of those numbers but as you noted there is something to be said for a guy who played an entire season.
I didn't realize 1959 was Pinsons rookie year. I am surprised that McCovey won over him and even more surprised that he was a unanimous selection.

bravos4evr
08-25-2016, 04:42 PM
Sanchez is on pace to top all of those numbers but as you noted there is something to be said for a guy who played an entire season.
I didn't realize 1959 was Pinsons rookie year. I am surprised that McCovey won over him and even more surprised that he was a unanimous selection.

when you come up and light the world on fire, folks notice!!! lol

yeah, my argument is just that the grind matters. Sanchez won't hit like this for an entire season as scouting reports will get out, pitchers and teams will find some holes in his swing and he will hit a slump at some point. What makes players great is the ability to adjust to the adjustment made to them and that takes a season or two to figure out sometimes.