PDA

View Full Version : HOFer. Two of them in existence. Current bid is $6.50 with 3 hours to go

TATSR
07-20-2016, 03:31 PM
I don't promote any of my other auctions here, and I'm not really promoting this one so I won't provide a link. I'm just baffled as to why there isn't more interest in a card like this.

Yes, I'm the one who bought the 1985 Topps Traded Prototype collection last year. The goal was to keep the most complete set for myself and sell the other partial set individually to pay for it.

So here you have a Rickey Henderson prototype. This is the best card in the set and is currently sitting at 6.50 with 3 hours to go.

I don't care if you run out to bid on it. I'm genuinely curious as to why there isn't at least some demand.

Thoughts?

bnorth
07-20-2016, 03:44 PM
Probably because any serious bidding starts with seconds to go in the auction.

swarmee
07-20-2016, 06:35 PM
Well, maybe the problem is that nobody knows how rare it is or how valuable it should be. There are some good Rickey Henderson collectors, but he's not Will Clark or Omar Vizquel or Jose Canseco when it comes to rabid player collectors.

mrmopar
07-20-2016, 06:37 PM
I would agree that the bids will most likely come as snipes. As a seller, I was always nervous when there were no bids, but it seemed to work out most of the time even as a small and infrequent seller like me. You also have PWCC viewers, so it is not like it is going to slip by unnoticed either way.

I bought a couple Dodgers from you.

JustinD
07-24-2016, 10:23 PM
85 is my favorite 80s topps set due to the variations like this. I know I picked up one or maybe two examples from you.

I think the rarity of these and PSA refusing to number grade these when they will the minis hurts them. The public just does not get it.

That said I am pretty sure I sent a message when you started listing these that I was interested in the Jim Davenport and the Howard Johnson. Please let me know if you ever list those. :D

Harliduck
07-24-2016, 11:41 PM
Looks like a $113, don't know if that's good or not. I will be honest, I was an avid collector in 1985, and have no idea what your card is. I was hoping to find the PWCC auction to see what a "prototype" rarity this was, and there was zero explanation by PWCC? I would be ticked if I was you, they can't spend a few minutes explaining why this card is rare?

Batpig
07-26-2016, 10:01 AM
They may not know. I've consigned many cards with Brent, and sometimes I have more info about a card (low pop, etc.). That's one of the things the review period is for. They'll always add additional info if you ask.