PDA

View Full Version : Is this Mantle card a reprint?

savedfrommyspokes
07-20-2016, 02:23 PM
I came across this Mantle Exhitbits card and am not super familiar with the Exhibit issues. When I compared it to some of my other 1947-66 Exhibits cards, the back appears "un-aged" and the card is slightly longer t/b. It does not appear to be a 1980s example as it does not have the disclosure printed on the front as the other 1980s do.

Here are some images...the second image shows the back of the Mantle (in the middle) compared to two other 1947-66 Exhibits I have. The back is much "newer" looking. Please let me know what you think?

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-23-2016, 09:03 PM
I have never seen an exhibit on gray stock, so I doubt it's legit.

savedfrommyspokes
07-24-2016, 08:11 AM
Thank you Scott, kind of what I was thinking.

Joe Hunter
07-24-2016, 09:56 AM
I have seen those and yes, they are reprints.

irv
07-24-2016, 10:38 AM
I also have some but the backs are almost pure white.

From what I understand, they were originally printed on gray stock.
I purchased these years ago thinking they were real but thankfully I only paid a few dollars for them.:)

TheNightmanCometh
07-24-2016, 06:06 PM
I also have some but the backs are almost pure white.

From what I understand, they were originally printed on gray stock.
I purchased these years ago thinking they were real but thankfully I only paid a few dollars for them.:)

Where did you get those?

irv
07-24-2016, 07:51 PM
Where did you get those?

If memory serves, I believe they were purchased in a mall flea market type setting in either Belleville or Kingston Ontario, Canada, and likely over 20-25 yrs ago as well?

Curious, why do you ask?

DBesse27
07-24-2016, 09:21 PM
Definite reprints. 1,000%

irv
07-25-2016, 04:10 AM
Definite reprints. 1,000%

Aside from the white backs, I assume the originals didn't say "Printed" or "Made in the U.S.A. either?

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-25-2016, 05:20 AM
Actually "Printed in the USA" or "Made in the USA" can be a variation and did appear on lots of these cards.

As for stock, the only thing I've ever seen on a legit example is a sort of off-white. If it's pure white I wouldn't trust it, if it's gray cardboard like 1981 Topps I wouldn't trust it.

Zach Wheat
07-25-2016, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=irv;1565074]I also have some but the backs are almost pure white.

From what I understand, they were originally printed on gray stock.....QUOTE]

White or tan. Gray back Exhibits are reprints.

irv
07-25-2016, 07:55 PM
Actually "Printed in the USA" or "Made in the USA" can be a variation and did appear on lots of these cards.

As for stock, the only thing I've ever seen on a legit example is a sort of off-white. If it's pure white I wouldn't trust it, if it's gray cardboard like 1981 Topps I wouldn't trust it.

[QUOTE=irv;1565074]I also have some but the backs are almost pure white.

From what I understand, they were originally printed on gray stock.....QUOTE]

White or tan. Gray back Exhibits are reprints.

Here's a pic of the backs of 3 of them. The cards are on the stiff/thicker side, (definitely thicker than a post card) and like I mentioned, these look pretty white to me.
I left my scanner on the default setting, which, imo, usually make my cards look a little on the grey side.

TheNightmanCometh
07-26-2016, 01:06 AM
If memory serves, I believe they were purchased in a mall flea market type setting in either Belleville or Kingston Ontario, Canada, and likely over 20-25 yrs ago as well?

Curious, why do you ask?

I love the look of that Spahn. So, they're Exhibit reprints?

irv
07-26-2016, 04:02 AM
I love the look of that Spahn. So, they're Exhibit reprints?

The only thing I know about them is what I have learned here, and based on that info, I'd say they're reprints or something similar?

I love that Spahn as well. Just wish I could obtain a 52 Topps copy to go with it!. :)