PDA

View Full Version : What is the general consensus on Topps Now?

Tennis13
07-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Just curious, because I feel like if this idea catches on over time, these earlier prints that people largely ignore (relative to future growth) could be interesting collectors items.

What's the general board view? They certainly aren't cheap, thats's for sure.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-14-2016, 08:07 PM
The Hosmer All Star game used base cards sold out within an hour...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swarmee
07-14-2016, 08:10 PM
I don't see them becoming a set collector thing.

Tennis13
07-14-2016, 08:13 PM
I don't see them becoming a set collector thing.

Right, but let's say that Topps Now Futures game player makes it big, like Pujols or Trout, does this become like a hotter card because it wasn't widely released, or not so much? I am just curious the view, as I have been debating this in my head if it ever catches on

mrmopar
07-14-2016, 10:26 PM
I assume that the print run will eventually swindle until they decide it isn't worth their time to continue it, kind of like Sportscasters in the 70s. I have checked periodically to see, but they have yet to crack the 100s on any one, all being at least 200+ copies. It seems they tend to settle in the 300-400 copies on average.

I am surprised as many sell as they have reported already. The cost seems too high for this idea to succeed long term, but it seems to have found a niche so far.

Exhibitman
07-15-2016, 03:18 AM
It is a fun idea. I picked up every Kershaw card issued so far. That said the fact they're so discounted for multiple buys is a marketing mistake IMO because it is possible to get the cards off eBay for less than the Topps direct price.

Rich Klein
07-15-2016, 06:36 AM
I think this is a better idea than what Upper Deck sort of tried to do a few years ago with their "diary" of a season featuring every game.

Topps Now --- is a better idea and I think the concept is just fine. I'm sure I'll end up with some of these cards in the after market

Rich

tjv815
07-15-2016, 09:55 AM
I think the cards are real sharp, and the fact that they are based on the performance of a particular game is pretty cool. If you were at that particular game or even watching live, I think it brings a special quality to the card.
I have also found, as another post mentioned, that it is cheaper to purchase on ebay than through Topps. I'm sure Topps is aware and it will be interesting to see if there is a change in format/pricing.
TJ

JustinD
07-15-2016, 09:30 PM
I like them but it's basically a replacement for etopps.

I don't see any real value as most are easily forgotten events and should not really appreciate. PC collectors may want them later but the general public has a short memory for such things.

Still, they are fun.