PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own any PSA In-The-Presence or JSA Witness stuff?

mattjc1983
07-13-2016, 07:42 PM
If I haven't got my autographs in person, I've tended to only buy them from Steiner, Tri-Star, or Mounted Memories. I've just never felt that a TPA's after-the-fact opinion is worth much, even if they're more of an expert than I am on the signature in question.

Anyways, I'm considering adding PSA ITP and JSA Witness to my "ok" list, assuming there are no known issues that I'm unaware of.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichardSimon
07-13-2016, 07:48 PM
I would not buy Joe DiMaggio ITP autographs with PSA authentication.

mattjc1983
07-13-2016, 08:12 PM
Good to know, thank you. Are there known fake PSA ITP certs? Or PSA itself is known to not be doing ITP legitimately (e.g. not being present at the signings that they claim they're present at)?

RichardSimon
07-14-2016, 05:42 AM
Good to know, thank you. Are there known fake PSA ITP certs? Or PSA itself is known to not be doing ITP legitimately (e.g. not being present at the signings that they claim they're present at)?

Not that I am aware of and Yes back when Joe D was alive.

packs
07-14-2016, 07:32 AM
These are usually reduce rate certs that they hand you right after you get off an autograph line at a show. If the cert doesn't carry a photo of the exact item, you open yourself up to forgeries.

mattjc1983
07-14-2016, 10:32 AM
I think PSA ITP does have a specific cert # matching the hologram though. Not as good as a picture but does tie that cert to that item (unless both the cert and sticker are reproductions/copies).

packs
07-14-2016, 12:31 PM
I don't really know how it works at the shows because I never get a cert for something I got in person, but I always see them at a little table handing things out to people who come off the line. Maybe there's a number and sticker but I would think their database probably only goes so far to verify. For example, if I have a baseball signed by X, the cert number might just say item signed by X instead of Baseball signed by X.

Kco
07-14-2016, 09:10 PM
They sticker the item as you come off the line and hand you the matching cert. It's really no different from Steiner holograming an item and issuimg a generic cert at their public autograph sessions.

That's to say they are pretty trustworthy, I'd be comfortable with it, but they have only been around the hobby for the last few years, so if it's proclaiming to be from a much older signing them it is probably not legit or a knock off.

mattjc1983
07-14-2016, 09:14 PM
^thanks for the info!