PDA

View Full Version : Cooperstown question

Snapolit1
07-13-2016, 07:19 AM
Putting aside the induction weekend and whatever special shows might be there that weekend, are there enough high quality vintage shops up there that can supplement a day at the Hall? Trying to plan a day later in the summer.

Eggoman
07-13-2016, 07:30 AM
The last time I was there, there was NOT...sorry to say.

pherbener
07-13-2016, 07:43 AM
Last time I was there, there wasn't much around and what was available was very overpriced. That being said, I haven't been up there since I've returned to the hobby with a vigor so I will look harder this time!

kkkkandp
07-13-2016, 07:45 AM
I was in Cooperstown last summer. Unless something has changed since then, if you are making the trip solely for the sake of finding vintage cards, don't bother.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-13-2016, 07:49 AM
Was just there this spring, the only shop I liked at all was Yastrzemski's

Griffins
07-13-2016, 08:42 AM
I was there 2 weeks ago. There were a few shops that were interesting to look at, but nothing significant and you can walk thru all of them in an hour. Nice little town.

Joshchisox08
07-13-2016, 08:56 AM
Was just there this spring, the only shop I liked at all was Yastrzemski's

Yastrzemski's is the only place with anything close to what a vintage collector would like. The older guy Dave is pretty cool.

There used to be a ton of vintage shops in town. With the addition of the Little League Field of Dreams not too far away the town has turned into a tourist trap with crappy t-shirts, and tourist items.

khkco4bls
07-13-2016, 09:27 AM
The only thing great about it now was the Ommegang brewery and The Distillery in town

RTK
07-13-2016, 10:37 AM
Yastrzemski's is the only place with anything close to what a vintage collector would like. The older guy Dave is pretty cool.

There used to be a ton of vintage shops in town. With the addition of the Little League Field of Dreams not too far away the town has turned into a tourist trap with crappy t-shirts, and tourist items.

I was their in early April, things were still at winter's pace, stores either closed or short hours. Yastrzemski's did look pretty good. I liked the town alot, a bit touristy but that's what it is with the HoF being their. I did find a store with a bunch off good books I haven't seen anywhere else and baought a few. A lot of BB hats & jersey, t-shirt stores. I can imagine card shops, or really any store, having a hard time getting traffic in the winter. The town was pretty sleepy in April. Maybe "pop up" stores emerge during the peak of summer.

With so much commerce done online these days, I don't know how actual stores in any type of business can stay open. I don't think we can have it both ways.

iwantitiwinit
07-13-2016, 10:43 AM
There last year,anything around was
extremely overpriced.

Joshchisox08
07-13-2016, 12:25 PM
I was their in early April, things were still at winter's pace, stores either closed or short hours. Yastrzemski's did look pretty good. I liked the town alot, a bit touristy but that's what it is with the HoF being their. I did find a store with a bunch off good books I haven't seen anywhere else and baought a few. A lot of BB hats & jersey, t-shirt stores. I can imagine card shops, or really any store, having a hard time getting traffic in the winter. The town was pretty sleepy in April. Maybe "pop up" stores emerge during the peak of summer.

With so much commerce done online these days, I don't know how actual stores in any type of business can stay open. I don't think we can have it both ways.

I went in the winter for the first time ever a couple years ago. I've been in the summer about 10 times or so.

I have to admit to liking the winter much more. Sat at the bar with the locals and heard how much the lady who runs or ran the HOF has ruined their town.

Beastmode
07-13-2016, 12:49 PM
There last year,anything around was
extremely overpriced.

Pricing at the stores is very similar to BIN pricing on E-bay.

KingFisk
07-13-2016, 05:06 PM
I had some luck at a place called Coach's Sports Corner. Nice guy ran it. Post war stuff. Got a bunch of nice HOF low grade cards for cheap and a fair deal on a 56 Mantle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Snapolit1
07-13-2016, 07:25 PM
Thanks everyone. Appreciated. Steve.

RTK
07-14-2016, 06:37 AM
I went in the winter for the first time ever a couple years ago. I've been in the summer about 10 times or so.

I have to admit to liking the winter much more. Sat at the bar with the locals and heard how much the lady who runs or ran the HOF has ruined their town.

There's a book out that touches on her and the family and how they control what goes on both at the hall and in town. I don't recall the title. I lent the book out and never got it back.

bigtrain
07-14-2016, 07:49 AM
Jane Clark and the Clark Foundation own the Hall of Fame property, the Otsega Hotel and many other pieces of prime real estate. However, in my experience in 35 years of visiting and 12 years of having a summer home there, I can tell you that most of the locals think Ms. Clark is terrific. She has helped to control development around the lake keeping thousands of acres in their natural state. She supports many local causes and gives tens of thousands of dollars in scholarships to local students. Any locals who think she is a bad influence in the village do not know what they are talking about.

yanks4
07-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Bigtrain is dead on.. Cooperstown has continued to be maintained because of her. Her taste is impeccable and she has balanced her involvement very well.

bravos4evr
07-14-2016, 04:29 PM
Interesting that so many fans think the HOF is owned and operated by MLB. I always have to explain that it was created by a hotelier so as to create a way to fill his hotel year round!

Vintagecatcher
07-14-2016, 07:55 PM
I used to visit Cooperstown regularly when I lived in MA. My favorite store to visit was The National Pastime. It had all kinds of prewar cards, trophies, art work, and memorabilia from the Deadball Era.

It was a sad day when that store closed.

http://www.visitingcooperstown.com/nationalpastime.html

Patrick

TCMA
07-14-2016, 08:59 PM
Be sure to visit Baseball Nostalgia in the Doubleday Field parking lot. Been in biz since 1974 and they still carry a lot of the old TCMA cards, tons of autographed photos, and lots of HOF Induction Day Cards. Pete and Bruce are two of the most knowledgeable guys in town and live in Cooperstown year-round.

BBB
07-14-2016, 10:56 PM
Be sure to visit Baseball Nostalgia in the Doubleday Field parking lot. Been in biz since 1974 and they still carry a lot of the old TCMA cards, tons of autographed photos, and lots of HOF Induction Day Cards. Pete and Bruce are two of the most knowledgeable guys in town and live in Cooperstown year-round.

That store was not even in the top 5 back in the 90s. I used to like Mickeys (before it stopped carrying cards and then eventually shut down.)

Not a knock on Baseball Nostalgia, just hint as to how awesome the lineup of shops was back in the day.

starmingia
07-15-2016, 06:18 AM
The old great shops like the National Pastime and others are gone. In the old days it was great to walk into old vintage shops and go through boxes of great stuff.

Bought my first T206 Lena Blackburne for 6.00....Those days are long gone...Cooperstown is still however a great take. Enjoy

Tom

vintagesportscollector
07-15-2016, 08:30 AM
I used to visit Cooperstown regularly when I lived in MA. My favorite store to visit was The National Pastime. It had all kinds of prewar cards, trophies, art work, and memorabilia from the Deadball Era.

It was a sad day when that store closed.

http://www.visitingcooperstown.com/nationalpastime.html

Patrick

For those that never had a chance to visit National Pastime, here are some photos of what it used to be...very sad day when it closed.

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/vintagesportscollector/library/National%20Pastime%20Store?sort=3&page=1

btcarfagno
07-15-2016, 09:08 AM
For those that never had a chance to visit National Pastime, here are some photos of what it used to be...very sad day when it closed.

http://s26.photobucket.com/user/vintagesportscollector/library/National%20Pastime%20Store?sort=3&page=1

I remember going there several times during my collecting hiatus. It was like entering another museum. Seeing these pictures with a renewed collecting spirit makes me wish I had been collecting the last time I was there.

Or maybe not. I don't know anything about how good or bad their pricing was.

My wife even enjoyed going in there. Such a cool place.

Tom C

Eggoman
07-15-2016, 09:50 AM
I remember going there several times during my collecting hiatus. It was like entering another museum. Seeing these pictures with a renewed collecting spirit makes me wish I had been collecting the last time I was there.

Or maybe not. I don't know anything about how good or bad their pricing was.

If I remember...they were fairly priced...for Cooperstown! I thought as a younger collector that they DID have some eye-popping things...

Huck
07-15-2016, 11:32 AM

Wow! When did the store close?

vintagesportscollector
07-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Wow! When did the store close?

Several years ago, I don't recall exactly. They were very high priced. Everything had a price tag, but nothing really priced to sell - more of a museum. More show than sale. But based on today's prices for some of the rarer items, there could have beem some real bargains comparing to today. I know a few people that picked up a couple rarer pieces and were willing to pay. They were a souvenir shop too (t-shirts, etc..) so I think think that is how they paid the bills. As a younger collector I was in awe of the place and spent as much time there as the HOF.

khkco4bls
07-15-2016, 01:57 PM
Then the town jacked up his rent like 3 or 4 times and he jump ship

Vintagecatcher
07-15-2016, 09:45 PM
Joe,

Thanks for posting the photos from The National Pastime.

One of the most treasured items in my collection is shown. I purchased the D&M catcher figural trophy from another board member, and knew I had seen it previously in The National Pastime store. I had the silver plated trophy replated, and they discovered that the topper with the catcher figural had been glued to the base of the trophy at some point. They restored the trophy to it's original condition.

Here is a picture of the trophy from one of the photos you posted as well as 2 pictures of the restored trophy.

Thanks again,

Patrick

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-15-2016, 09:52 PM
I love when I nail something. Yastrzemski's is at Chantilly this weekend just bought $2500 in t206's from my neighbor. I think he got the stuff at a good price including a t206 green background Cobb with a sovereign 150 back for $800. Wish I had had the cash!

vintagesportscollector
07-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Joe,

Thanks for posting the photos from The National Pastime.

One of the most treasured items in my collection is shown. I purchased the D&M catcher figural trophy from another board member, and knew I had seen it previously in The National Pastime store. I had the silver plated trophy replated, and they discovered that the topper with the catcher figural had been glued to the base of the trophy at some point. They restored the trophy to it's original condition.

Here is a picture of the trophy from one of the photos you posted as well as 2 pictures of the restored trophy.

Thanks again,

Patrick

That's fantastic Patrick. Beautiful trophy!

obcbobd
07-16-2016, 09:27 AM
Been to Cooperstown a half dozen times and have loved it. Going in September.

would love to hear any recommendations for places to go at night for dinner, and maybe watch a game.

thanks

Bob

Leon
07-18-2016, 11:35 AM
The old great shops like the National Pastime and others are gone. In the old days it was great to walk into old vintage shops and go through boxes of great stuff.

Bought my first T206 Lena Blackburne for 6.00....Those days are long gone...Cooperstown is still however a great take. Enjoy

Tom

It's all about perspective and expectations, it sounds like? Our card shops today, for the most part, is ebay. Hopefully the rise in local card shows around the country will continue. I wish I collected in the old days.....

AgonyandIvy
07-18-2016, 08:08 PM
One place that I feel is a must see is the Fenimore Art Museum. I'm not no art connoisseur by no means, but I was impressed by some of the exhibits and permanent pieces on display, including a special exhibit of 60's & 70's New York Artist Ralph Fasanella.

One place for dinner we enjoyed was the Lakefront Restaurant. If I remember it right, it was right on the water, and a great meal. But there ain't going be no game on there. To watch a game, I found any ol bar and grill was good enough if there was a game on. Each seems to have some specialty over the other - pizza, or best burgers, or best sammiches, or wings, most beers, etc.

I wouldn't go there looking for for cards, although there are a few. For that, the Hall is enough.