PDA

View Full Version : Off topic - but wow the HR's this year

EvilKing00
07-10-2016, 11:06 AM
There are 58 players as of yesterday ( july 9th) with 15 or more home runs. That seems crazy to me, not sure if we are on a record breaking power year here or not but it sure seems like it.

17 already have 20 or more

Snapolit1
07-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Including Daniel Murphy. Crazy. Never saw anything like what he's doing to my Mets.

Tennis13
07-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Including Daniel Murphy. Crazy. Never saw anything like what he's doing to my Mets.

Dear Sir:

What a short memory you have.

Sincerely,
Cubs Fan

bravos4evr
07-10-2016, 01:59 PM
There are 58 players as of yesterday ( july 9th) with 15 or more home runs. That seems crazy to me, not sure if we are on a record breaking power year here or not but it sure seems like it.

17 already have 20 or more

In the year 2000 there were 5,693 HR's hit in all of MLB, that year 16 guys hit 40 or more, 45 hit 30 or more and 84 hit 20 or more. There have been 9 other seasons where the league topped 5,000 (all between 1998-2009) and since 2009 homers have been on decline. (for example last year the league hit 4909)

Homers appear up right now, but let us wait and see before getting ahead of ourselves. Sometimes guys go on tears early and cool off late skewing the numbers.

EvilKing00
07-10-2016, 05:42 PM
In the year 2000 there were 5,693 HR's hit in all of MLB, that year 16 guys hit 40 or more, 45 hit 30 or more and 84 hit 20 or more. There have been 9 other seasons where the league topped 5,000 (all between 1998-2009) and since 2009 homers have been on decline. (for example last year the league hit 4909)

Homers appear up right now, but let us wait and see before getting ahead of ourselves. Sometimes guys go on tears early and cool off late skewing the numbers.

Just did a search and think so far 2016 has 3051 hr

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/stadiums.php

bravos4evr
07-10-2016, 05:50 PM
Just did a search and think so far 2016 has 3051 hr

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/stadiums.php

yep that is correct, but it is only 6th in MLB history before the all star break.

the odd thing about the total MLB home runs in a season thing is that it tends to be driven more by how many homers the "under 20 a season" group does than the big power hitters. So, if , in the early part of the year, the rugrats put up a few more than avg, it can skew the numbers. (like in 2000, the first half saw 3311 homers hit, the second half only 2381)

irv
07-10-2016, 05:51 PM
And just think, Bautista was slow out of the gate and is now, and has been, on the DL for a period of time. ;)

ValKehl
07-10-2016, 09:21 PM

Me either, but it sure is super wonderful! Go Nats! ;)

irv
07-11-2016, 07:11 AM
Donaldson broke the game open with a three-run home run in the fourth inning to give Toronto a 5-0 lead. The Blue Jays third baseman put Anibal Sanchez's 0-1 fastball into the seats in left-centre field for his 23rd homer of the season.

Donaldson became just the sixth player in AL history to score 80 runs and hit 20 home runs prior to the all-star break. The others were Lou Gehrig (1936), Ted Williams (1946), Reggie Jackson (1969), Frank Thomas (1994), and Alex Rodriguez (2000).

"I think the 80 runs, that has something to do with the guys behind me driving me in," said Donaldson. "The fact of the matter is, I feel like I do a pretty decent job on the bases: taking an extra base, stealing a bag every now and again, but that doesn't always necessarily lead up to 80 runs.

Mountaineer1999
07-11-2016, 07:23 AM
they've found a new way to juice that cant be detected

baseball tourist
07-11-2016, 09:01 AM
Donaldson broke the game open with a three-run home run in the fourth inning to give Toronto a 5-0 lead. The Blue Jays third baseman put Anibal Sanchez's 0-1 fastball into the seats in left-centre field for his 23rd homer of the season.

Donaldson became just the sixth player in AL history to score 80 runs and hit 20 home runs prior to the all-star break. The others were Lou Gehrig (1936), Ted Williams (1946), Reggie Jackson (1969), Frank Thomas (1994), and Alex Rodriguez (2000).

"I think the 80 runs, that has something to do with the guys behind me driving me in," said Donaldson. "The fact of the matter is, I feel like I do a pretty decent job on the bases: taking an extra base, stealing a bag every now and again, but that doesn't always necessarily lead up to 80 runs.

Took my daughter to this game (yesterday) - her first, live, in-person Jays game! Had a blast!

irv
07-11-2016, 09:56 AM
they've found a new way to juice that cant be detected

Somebody isn't a Jay's or Donaldson fan?

Took my daughter to this game (yesterday) - her first, live, in-person Jays game! Had a blast!

Great stuff, Baseball Tourist!!

You and your Daughter sure picked a great game to attend! :)

bravos4evr
07-11-2016, 01:02 PM

not to rain on your parade (and I think Donaldson is a monster) but runs are more indicative of the quality of the offense as an entire rather than the individual player as all he can do is get on base. Now getting on base is good! But if the other players are crap, you won't score as often.

irv
07-11-2016, 07:13 PM
not to rain on your parade (and I think Donaldson is a monster) but runs are more indicative of the quality of the offense as an entire rather than the individual player as all he can do is get on base. Now getting on base is good! But if the other players are crap, you won't score as often.

Donaldson, of course, recognizes that as well, as I am sure the other 5 greats on the list before him did too.

I agree, he is a monster! On pace again for another AL MVP award.

Had no idea he was 30 though? Was thinking at least 5 yrs younger.

Donaldson cranked his 23rd home run of the season in the bottom of the fourth inning, becoming just the sixth player in AL history to record 20 home runs and 80 runs scored before the break. The 30-year-old joined an elite class which includes Lou Gehrig (1936), Ted Williams ('46), Reggie Jackson ('69), Frank Thomas ('94) and Alex Rodriguez (2000)

"I think 80 runs has something to do with the guys behind me driving me in," Donaldson said. "The fact of the matter is I feel like I do a pretty decent job on the bases, taking the extra base, stealing a bag every now and then. That doesn't necessarily always lead to 80 runs. Edwin Encarnacion's hit some homers, Michael Saunders has hit some homers, Jose Bautista was behind me hitting some homers. I was on base a decent amount in the first half, so I guess that helps with the success of that."

bravos4evr
07-11-2016, 09:28 PM
Donaldson, of course, recognizes that as well, as I am sure the other 5 greats on the list before him did too.

I agree, he is a monster! On pace again for another AL MVP award.

Had no idea he was 30 though? Was thinking at least 5 yrs younger.

Donaldson cranked his 23rd home run of the season in the bottom of the fourth inning, becoming just the sixth player in AL history to record 20 home runs and 80 runs scored before the break. The 30-year-old joined an elite class which includes Lou Gehrig (1936), Ted Williams ('46), Reggie Jackson ('69), Frank Thomas ('94) and Alex Rodriguez (2000)

"I think 80 runs has something to do with the guys behind me driving me in," Donaldson said. "The fact of the matter is I feel like I do a pretty decent job on the bases, taking the extra base, stealing a bag every now and then. That doesn't necessarily always lead to 80 runs. Edwin Encarnacion's hit some homers, Michael Saunders has hit some homers, Jose Bautista was behind me hitting some homers. I was on base a decent amount in the first half, so I guess that helps with the success of that."

Yeah Donaldson was a late bloomer that many had pegged as a AAAA player, but at age 27 he just erupted. I think he made a timing change in his swing or something. But the guy is great. Too bad he didn't do better earlier or he might be a HOF'er. Now, barring a really slow decline, he probably won't have the numbers.