PDA

View Full Version : Golden Spikes Winner - Kyle Lewis and my son...

Harliduck
07-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Took my son Jack (and family, wife and 4 other daughters) to the Everett Aquasox, the Seattle Mariners A Minor League team, on 4th of July in the hopes my son could see the Mariners #1 draft pick play and were really hoping to maybe get an autograph. We were also keeping an eye on the stats, and going into the came he hadn't hit a pro HR yet. Fresh off his Golden Spikes award, weren't sure what to expect.

Got there early, and scoped out the stadium. They were playing the Eugene Emeralds, the Chicago Cubs A affiliate. Talked to a team rep who was super nice and accommodating and he let me know a place where the players went to kind of hang out before the game. Took Jack there and waited, and realized I only had just 1 ball. I told him lets go back to the team store and buy a few of the official NW League balls, and he said "no way, I don't want to miss Kyle!" I could see the store from where we were, so I told him to hang tight as I ran and bought 4 more balls (for the girls just in case). Jacks ball was a foul ball we got a few nights before from the M's game (against the Pirates).

Anyhow...I came out of the little store and I as I headed back I saw Jack hanging with a player. "DAD, IT'S KYLE LEWIS!" Kyle just smiled and called Jack little man, and I realized they were in a full blown Baseball chat. TOO COOL. He signed Jacks ball, told me he would sign the ones I was holding without me even asking, and I got a picture.

http://i.onfinite.com/hF4WYPYLd.jpg

Jack went on to tell him he saw some cool Mercer action on youtube, and I could tell Kyle was extremely appreciative that Jack knew so much about him. Jack said he would be rooting for him to hit his first HR, and Kyle said "Thanks man, I need to get that out of the way!" He then walked over about 20 yards where a T was waiting and he worked on his cut for at least 20 minutes. Cool to see. I certainly hope he can match his potential, and I really hope he stays such a nice level headed guy. Not a hint of ego, and just seemed to have a genuine love of the game. Stay that way Kyle! :)

What did he do in his first AB? Went yard, first pro HR. Seriously? Doesn't get better than that. Here is the shot moments before, I have the hit on video as well -

http://i.onfinite.com/XZyyjQYLd.jpg

Gotta love minor league ball. The players are so young, and not many scratch the bigs...but Jack got 42 signatures (some Cubs too) including the complete 2016 team. It was awesome to watch the players help him get the ball complete. Maybe a couple of those will hit big, but it doesn't matter....at all. Yes, as a family we will certainly be HUGE Lewis fans now that we have this connection of memories, and I know my son will remember this for the rest of his life. The girls could care less about the 4 signed sweet spot Lewis balls so Jack kept them all, haha. Anyway, thought I would share, what a perfect day...

When I was his age, this same team was the Everett Giants and I had a similar experience with Matt Williams and Paul Blair Jr...will never forget that...ever.

Harliduck
07-09-2016, 05:06 PM
BTW...Leon, or whomever moderates this page...if this is the wrong forum I truly apologize, I wasn't sure where to put it. Just wanted to share...feel free to move to where appropriate. Thanks.

bnorth
07-09-2016, 05:25 PM
That is very nice, Thank you for sharing such a great story.

Dewey
07-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Great story! So, so cool.

YankeeFan
07-09-2016, 11:28 PM
I enjoyed that story very much, and for various reasons. Thanks for sharing.

khkco4bls
07-10-2016, 06:55 AM
Love the story I only wish Major Leaguers would be the same way but that never happens.