PDA

View Full Version : New Member Saying Hello

58pinson
07-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Just registered after lurking around for a few weeks and being blown away by the breadth of knowledge of many of the members. Actually stumbled on the site while following a google link to 707 Sportscards. Lucky day for me.

On schedule to turn 68 in September, so I did all the mid '50's early '60s stuff with baseball cards so many others did. Yeah, they got tossed during a spring cleaning eventually. Have always considered the '57 set my favorite, but those '53 Bowman color cards are something special. Got back in the hobby in 1988 and accumulated a card store (or so it seemed) of baseball and hockey only to walk away again in '94-'95 after the strike. Trying to turn the junk wax era stuff into a little cash, stress little, but it's a process.

Intend to concentrate on a set comprised of pitcher cards from the year/years they won 20 games. Start date of 1952 thru ??? - but at least 1980.

Glad to be here, and thanks for having me. I'll try not to pop off until I think I've learned at least a little something. Once I learn how to navigate the control panel I'll update an avatar (58 Pinson rookie!) and some more information.

Thanks again. I'm Al in New Jersey.

trdcrdkid
07-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Welcome, Al! You're among friends here.

EvilKing00
07-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Welcome to the board!

ALR-bishop
07-06-2016, 04:04 PM
Welcome Al. Given your project, which sounds interesting, you might consider saying hello over on post war as well.

Exhibitman
07-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Bienvenue
Wilkommmen
Welcome
C'mon in

philliesfan
07-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Welcome neighbor...............I am in PA (Phila)
Robert

clydepepper
07-06-2016, 09:55 PM
Welcome Al.

That's a neat idea (20-game winners) and focus and will most likely allow you to keep a measure of control on your 'addition' - if that's what you'll admit to...lol

The '58 Pinson is a nice card, but I think the '59 card is a beauty - the black background definitely helps.

I love the simplicity of the 1957 set's style and I too love the '53 Bowman Color which features a lot of great photography.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
Raymond

Shoebox
07-06-2016, 10:25 PM
Welcome Al! Good luck in your collecting pursuits.

58pinson
07-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

Haven't mastered the knack of dragging a quote and replying guess I'll do it the old fashioned way:

ALR-bishop,
Good suggestion on dropping by the post war section. Will do.

clydepepper,
Agreed on the '59 Pinson. Funny thing on the '57 set is the older I get the more I'm drawn to the old ballparks in the background. My first vintage pickup (back in 1989) was a '57 Frank Robby - nice card, paid $350 for it. Then a long time employer went bankrupt and it was sell, sell, sell. Have seen the same card now at over $1k, asking price. Looking to make the '53 Bowman color Carl Erskine one of my first pick ups. Maybe at the National if I can get there.

Leon
07-07-2016, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

Haven't mastered the knack of dragging a quote and replying guess I'll do it the old fashioned way:

ALR-bishop,
Good suggestion on dropping by the post war section. Will do.

clydepepper,
Agreed on the '59 Pinson. Funny thing on the '57 set is the older I get the more I'm drawn to the old ballparks in the background. My first vintage pickup (back in 1989) was a '57 Frank Robby - nice card, paid $350 for it. Then a long time employer went bankrupt and it was sell, sell, sell. Have seen the same card now at over $1k, asking price. Looking to make the '53 Bowman color Carl Erskine one of my first pick ups. Maybe at the National if I can get there.

Welcome friend!!
You will get the hang of this forum software. It's pretty easy to use after a decade or so...
When you are looking at someone's response (post) and you want to respond to that one while quoting what they said, you hit the little tab that says "Quote" at the bottom of that particular post. Then it copies that as a quote into your post. You will see it copied there when you do it. You then put whatever you want to say, hit the submit reply button, and viola....just like I did by quoting you here.

Our Post War, Autograph and Memorabilia sections have some very good discussions in them. And even our BST (Buy Sell Trade) areas can be entertaining though they shouldn't be.

the 'stache
07-07-2016, 09:19 PM
Welcome, Al!