PDA

View Full Version : T205 Bresnahan Autograph. Updated!! Deans Cards😞

T205 GB
07-05-2016, 09:50 AM
A T205 with Roger Bresnahan's Auto down the right side. Problem is it is raw and not authenticated by anyone other than the seller. Can I get some feedback on what you guys think of the card before a trigger is pulled on buying it.

The auction has been corrected. I'm going to just leave this here so you can draw your own opinions on the correction now.

This card has been in our possession for about eight years. We acquired it from an individual, and it was in an old frame, with a faded background. This card was part of a bigger vintage card collection, that contained very few autographs. We did not really pay much for it, so it did not make sense to me why someone would fake this autograph.

At the time, I considered it genuine, and still believe that it is probably is authentic, but it was sent to JSA several years ago, and they would not authenticate it. No reason was given, but I have since learned that the signature is in ballpoint pen - which is a concern. The Ballpoint pen was introduced in 1938, but did not become popular until after WWII. Bresnahan died in 1944.

btcarfagno
07-05-2016, 10:17 AM
You might do better posting this over on the autograph side.

Tom C

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-05-2016, 12:24 PM
hard to tell, but man that ink looks very uniform and not "live" possibly a stamp.

Gradedcardman
07-05-2016, 02:15 PM
I posed the question to the seller as to why they would not accept a return if it came back not authentic. I have not heard anything back yet but expect I will. Their mantra is to "help people enjoy the hobby" if that's the case then back the raw autograph and guarantee it.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Look where letters cross over each other. The ink should be twice as dark in those spots, or at least noticeably different. Also it doesn't look like fountain pen. I don't know when breshnahan died and I'm too lazy to look it up, but what kind of pen would make such a smooth signature? certainly nothing before the advent of pall point pens, if even that could do it.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-05-2016, 02:50 PM
OK, so I got curious and looked it up. Roger died in 1944. Modern ball point pens were almost entirely unheard of in the US until after WWII. So what does he purport that signature is signed in???

jonvancouver
07-05-2016, 02:55 PM
The 'P' jumps out to me.
From what I see online, his 'P's never look like that.
*I'm not an expert though*

Republicaninmass
07-05-2016, 03:42 PM
277 views? Had it been in a slab you'd have had 276 offers!

T206Collector
07-05-2016, 05:06 PM
A signed T205 Walsh just sold for $5,000k in LOTG auctions. That one was slabbed. I would bet a lot of money that either/both PSA/DNA and SGC turned this one down. Why would Dean's Cards leave that kind of money on the table?

Also, here's what an authentic one looks like - and I don't think it's a match:

Vintagecatcher
07-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Andrew,

I collect Bresnahan cards, and I have seen numerous contracts in auction houses with his signature. It's possible that he may have signed with a pencil which wasn't unusual back in the day. With that being said, I'd lean towards not original. Bresnahan's signature is pretty legible on the contracts I have seen listed.

http://www.lelands.com/auction/AuctionDetail/20071/December-2004/Sports/Baseball-Autographs/Lot940~Roger-Bresnahan-Signed-Contract

http://feb13.hugginsandscott.com/pl/53600a_ruppert_bresnahan.jpg

Patrick

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-05-2016, 06:19 PM
pencil is a possibility for the look of the autograph, good call, but still should see some variation where lines cross each other.

T205 GB
07-06-2016, 05:15 AM
pencil is a possibility for the look of the autograph, good call, but still should see some variation where lines cross each other.

Maybe it one of those crazy a$$ ball point pencils that won't overwrite on its own "ink" thus creating a stamped look! Thanks for the endless avenues of theories though.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-06-2016, 06:05 AM
Maybe it one of those crazy a$$ ball point pencils that won't overwrite on its own "ink" thus creating a stamped look! Thanks for the endless avenues of theories though.

Not sure how to take this. You're welcome?

T205 GB
07-06-2016, 11:20 AM
not sure how to take this. You're welcome?

LMAO!!! No Problem

swarmee
07-06-2016, 03:41 PM
PSA Quick Opinion or whatever?

T205 GB
07-09-2016, 09:34 AM
New info posted. Can't say my opinion is that of blatant fraud but that's just my opinion also

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-09-2016, 06:08 PM
but I have since learned that the signature is in ballpoint pen - which is a concern. The Ballpoint pen was introduced in 1938, but did not become popular until after WWII. Bresnahan died in 1944.[/B]

hmmm, does he read the boards? He's practically quoting me.

kmac32
07-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Could be a fountain pen the was fairly commonly used in the thirties so very well could be legitimate.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-09-2016, 09:53 PM
Could be a fountain pen the was fairly commonly used in the thirties so very well could be legitimate.

except it's not fountain pen, the look of fountain pen is completely different