PDA

View Full Version : T206 Wagner eBay

ruth-gehrig
07-04-2016, 07:06 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honus-wagner-baseball-card-ebay-mars-wagner-SINGLE-MOST-FAMOUS-CARD-IN-HISTORY-/182194426923?hash=item2a6ba2542b:g:GJ4AAOSwbYZXehi e

Claims to have bought for less than $200 on eBay and is already at $75,000.
I like his quote of "I didn't send it to PSA cause of the attention".

The very last statement of the listing is the best...."Lots of opinions on this card." Really? Something down the line of this card is fake? :p

VintageJay
07-04-2016, 07:11 PM
Or you can buy his only other item for sale: A vintage Operation board game!

Jeffrompa
07-04-2016, 07:12 PM
Yeah. With 127 feedback certification would be much too much attention for the most important baseball card in the world .

xplainer
07-04-2016, 07:20 PM
It is the Jason Mars card.
I could link you to many threads.

But, last year, he said he had sent it to SGC. I have a "friend" there, and when asked, he said it was "the worst fake they ever saw".

Joshwesley
07-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Jason Mars??

What am I missing here?

75k already.... Is this real?

Any chance?

Mountaineer1999
07-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Two bidders... surely it's just him and a partner in crime.

BBB
07-04-2016, 10:27 PM
I'm just surprised Ebay would not be cracking down on this stuff once it hits the $50k level or higher. Assuming no money changes hands unless a real bidder takes the bait, then isn't this sort of thing bad for them too from a pure dollars/cents perspective ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pokerplyr80
07-04-2016, 10:28 PM
I see 12 different bidders, 10 of which have placed bids over 50k. I don't get this one either. I am also not familiar with Jason Mars and would be interested if you'd like to post a link.

jfkheat
07-04-2016, 10:35 PM
Here is the link to the original thread discussing this card.
James

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=194060&highlight=Jason+Mars

orly57
07-04-2016, 10:40 PM
I see 12 different bidders, 10 of which have placed bids over 50k. I don't get this one either. I am also not familiar with Jason Mars and would be interested if you'd like to post a link.

Here is the link:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=194060

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-04-2016, 10:50 PM
well I reported this stupid card. See how long it lasts. Also like his made up ebay rules "If it's not graded it has to be listed as a reprint." really? not allowed to sell raw cards on ebay?

pokerplyr80
07-04-2016, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the link. And Ebay policy does require certain commonly faked cards to be listed as reprints if raw.

nat
07-04-2016, 11:11 PM
Who the &*$() is bidding $75k on this? Is it all shilling, trying to make it look legit? Because you'd think anyone who might actually spend $75k on a baseball card would know better.

Jeffrompa
07-05-2016, 01:24 AM
That name rings a bell . I'm sure someone else know him .

glynparson
07-05-2016, 06:35 AM
It usually gets taken down. Have many screen shots on my computer of things he posted on his FB page about the card that are flat out lies. This person is no good. So tired of scammers.

Leon
07-05-2016, 06:54 AM
It usually gets taken down. Have many screen shots on my computer of things he posted on his FB page about the card that are flat out lies. This person is no good. So tired of scammers.

He has been on our board defending the fake too. Here is a classic line from the description....

I did not send it off to psa cause of the attention!

Jewish-collector
07-05-2016, 07:07 AM
I bought a similar looking reprint one for 75 cents. Did I get a good deal ? :D

joeadcock
07-05-2016, 07:11 AM
Unbelievable

KingFisk
07-05-2016, 05:31 PM
I just spent thirty minutes on Jason Mars' Facebook page. I was in hysterics reading the comments and back and forth. I left there somewhat believing he is some sort of performance artist.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Billy5858
07-05-2016, 06:36 PM
I bought a similar looking reprint one for 75 cents. Did I get a good deal ? :D

Congrats .75 is great!!!:D

BeanTown
07-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Buying a raw ungraded Wagner is like jumping out of an airplane without a parachute ! The higher it goes, the more you will you will lose!

pherbener
07-05-2016, 08:43 PM
I just spent thirty minutes on Jason Mars' Facebook page. I was in hysterics reading the comments and back and forth. I left there somewhat believing he is some sort of performance artist.

I just checked it out too.. I think the guy may be delusional! Did anybody else watch his NBC news piece he linked to on there. Unbelievable...

jonvancouver
07-05-2016, 08:56 PM
I just checked it out too.. I think the guy may be delusional! Did anybody else watch his NBC news piece he linked to on there. Unbelievable...

I think he actually gives great advice to people that buy reprints and then convince themselves that they are real. DO NOT send it to PSA so that you ensure that you don't have to suffer all the attention. :rolleyes::D:D

KingFisk
07-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Auction has been pulled down, for anyone that cares. Some choice ranting going on on Facebook.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-06-2016, 11:37 AM
It was probably reported a lot, but I'll take the credit :)

Dpeck100
07-06-2016, 05:46 PM

Dude thanks for the heads up! Laughing my a&& off! His spelling and grammar are worse than a third graders! Haha

KingFisk
07-06-2016, 06:10 PM
Dude thanks for the heads up! Laughing my a&& off! His spelling and grammar are worse than a third graders! Haha
Exactly! It's so off the charts poor, and his comments so incoherent, it starts to feel like a put-on. Either his delete key is broken, or he really thinks "they" is spelled "tgey."

Dpeck100
07-06-2016, 06:22 PM
The post that starts with point proven is incredible!!!

Edit to add: Some of these comments have me cracking up!!! So many great threads! Tino Grady especially!!

pokerplyr80
07-06-2016, 08:35 PM
I looked up his fb page as well. It's worth a read.

KingFisk
07-07-2016, 06:09 AM
The post that starts with point proven is incredible!!!

Edit to add: Some of these comments have me cracking up!!! So many great threads! Tino Grady especially!!
The three or four guys who keep needling him seem to have found a foil without end. Did you see the investment offering? That was high comedy.

Dpeck100
07-07-2016, 08:32 AM
The three or four guys who keep needling him seem to have found a foil without end. Did you see the investment offering? That was high comedy.

I ended up spending like 45 minutes reading them. A few of the guys have been ripping him for quite sometime.

All I have to say is there are some seriously funny posts. I personally won't troll someone online but I can't help but laugh at a situation like this.

A part of me thinks this dude thinks it is actually real.

Jeffrompa
07-07-2016, 11:51 AM
for sure

MW1
07-07-2016, 01:10 PM
This thread brings a certain thought to mind. Namely, that there are quite a few similarities between Jason Mars and the Ray Edwards/John Cobb duo:

1. They both own a fake card.
2. They were both initially aware that they purchased a fake card but are perhaps delusional to the extent that they now believe their fake card has become or could be authentic.
3. They both managed to dupe various media organizations into creating a sensational story where, in reality, none existed.
4. They both hope to capitalize on their infamy by selling their counterfeit cards for a considerable sum.
5. They are both remarkably good at playing the victim. Mars capitalizes on his "aw shucks," lottery-ticket, why-couldn't-it-be-me persona and Cobb/Edwards focus on the white privilege/racism that is allegedly pervasive throughout the hobby.

Cliff Bowman
07-07-2016, 01:54 PM
A part of me thinks this dude thinks it is actually real.

If I owned that card and honestly thought there was a two percent chance it was real, I would have PSA or SGC at least look at it and pay that fee. He knows it's counterfeit.

Dpeck100
07-07-2016, 02:24 PM
If I owned that card and honestly thought there was a two percent chance it was real, I would have PSA or SGC at least look at it and pay that fee. He knows it's counterfeit.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would go the route you mention. Read a few of his posts and you might change your mind.

This dude is delusional.

Jewish-collector
07-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Just remember, sometimes you gotta say, "WTF" :D

glynparson
07-07-2016, 03:12 PM
is not delusional he is a straight up liar. He has made various claims as to people that told him it was real when in fact they told him the exact opposite. He took it down ( i do have the screen shots though) where he claimed he took it to Heritage and the guy that was head grader at SGC ( That would be Derek) told him it was real. I told him he was a personal friend of mine check my Facebook friends list and he takes down the post. I had already captured the image though. He just lies and lies and then lies some more.

pokerplyr80
07-07-2016, 03:19 PM
He says 5k gets the card. I guess that answers any questions about the legitimacy of the 75k bids. Not that there was much of a question to begin with.

Sean
07-07-2016, 03:25 PM
2. They were both initially aware that they purchased a fake card but are perhaps delusional to the extent that they now believe their fake card has become or could be authentic.

If you tell a lie long enough and vehemently enough, eventually you begin to believe that it's true.

I'll bet OJ thinks that he didn't kill Nicole.

But if Mars is willing to take $5k for it, he couldn't have reached this point yet.

Jewish-collector
07-07-2016, 04:13 PM
lol

KingFisk
07-07-2016, 04:35 PM
If you tell a lie long enough and vehemently enough, eventually you begin to believe that it's true.

I'll bet OJ thinks that he didn't kill Nicole.

But if Mars is willing to take $5k for it, he couldn't have reached this point yet.
He WAS willing to take $5K for it, but evidently he got thousands of emails offering him way more. Or something like that, it's really tough to discern what he's saying. This was the most coherent quote I could find:

"Thing is I have 1,000 lined up willing to pay 10,000 just for the card cause of the story and stuff."

Dpeck100
07-07-2016, 05:00 PM
"That's why you all race home from work grab a beer and just can't wait to her on for your intertainment "

Most recent post. 😀

drcy
07-07-2016, 09:53 PM
The trifecta, according to George Carlin

George Carlin-- Stupid People (Youtube) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyifuNC0MT8)

Leon
07-08-2016, 08:25 AM
Yeah but most times lies aren't fact checked with first hand knowledge. That really puts a wrinkle in the fairytale. The guy is a loser and will eventually get exactly what is coming to him.

QUOTE=glynparson;1559242]is not delusional he is a straight up liar. He has made various claims as to people that told him it was real when in fact they told him the exact opposite. He took it down ( i do have the screen shots though) where he claimed he took it to Heritage and the guy that was head grader at SGC ( That would be Derek) told him it was real. I told him he was a personal friend of mine check my Facebook friends list and he takes down the post. I had already captured the image though. He just lies and lies and then lies some more.[/QUOTE]