PDA

View Full Version : Is Strasburg a 'bust'?

7nohitter
07-03-2016, 05:07 PM
I'm wondering, and would love to hear from people who invested heavily into Strasburg a few years ago, if he is considered a bust at this point?

There are still many cards listed in the thousands of dollars on ebay and elsewhere, but I don't see them selling at the rate they once were.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-03-2016, 05:11 PM
I'm wondering, and would love to hear from people who invested heavily into Strasburg a few years ago, if he is considered a bust at this point?

There are still many cards listed in the thousands of dollars on ebay and elsewhere, but I don't see them selling at the rate they once were.

I hardly put any money in him ($100) because the prices were ridiculous. I wouldn't say he's close to being a bust. He had unreal expectations placed upon him and that certainly didn't help after his MLB debut.

I will say this, he is a bust hobby wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the 'stache
07-03-2016, 05:30 PM
I'd love to have a bust like Strasburg pitching for the Brewers. 11-0, 2.71 ERA, 123 Ks in 99 2/3 IP.

His problem is his health. When he's healthy, he's still one of the best ten starters in baseball. Unfortunately, he's always hurt.

As far as his hobby status, I'm not sure. I only bought his Chrome rookie, and I'm glad I didn't spend hundreds on an auto.

1952boyntoncollector
07-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Well keep leaving games in a the middle of no hitter like today (even though though its NL so counts .3 less) and we may all rethink

7nohitter
07-03-2016, 05:52 PM
I hardly put any money in him ($100) because the prices were ridiculous. I wouldn't say he's close to being a bust. He had unreal expectations placed upon him and that certainly didn't help after his MLB debut.

I will say this, he is a bust hobby wise.

Yes, I should have clarified to begin, I mean from a collecting standpoint.

ls7plus
07-07-2016, 04:34 PM
I'd love to have a bust like Strasburg pitching for the Brewers. 11-0, 2.71 ERA, 123 Ks in 99 2/3 IP.

His problem is his health. When he's healthy, he's still one of the best ten starters in baseball. Unfortunately, he's always hurt.

As far as his hobby status, I'm not sure. I only bought his Chrome rookie, and I'm glad I didn't spend hundreds on an auto.

+1. Sure, he is a bust with regard to such cards as his one-of-one rookie refractor, which, as I recall, once went for $25K. I doubt that you could get anyone in their right mind to pay even $750 for it now. I definitely wouldn't trade cards I bought for $200 or even less for it, even though I do like to watch him pitch! Bill is absolutely right that his health makes him a poor risk for investment--I would have grave concerns regarding his pitching effectively beyond his very early '30's.

May collecting bring you happiness with each purchase,

Larry

HOF Auto Rookies
07-07-2016, 04:38 PM
+1. Sure, he is a bust with regard to such cards as his one-of-one rookie refractor, which, as I recall, once went for $25K. I doubt that you could get anyone in their right mind to pay even $750 for it now. I definitely wouldn't trade cards I bought for $200 or even less for it, even though I do like to watch him pitch! Bill is absolutely right that his health makes him a poor risk for investment--I would have grave concerns regarding his pitching effectively beyond his very early '30's.

May collecting bring you happiness with each purchase,

Larry

The super actually resold again last year for $3,300 so down quite a bit.

DaClyde
07-08-2016, 06:20 AM
He is the Bernard King of baseball. Invest accordingly.

Rich Klein
07-08-2016, 06:32 AM
Bernard King had a nice run in the early 90's when he was with Washington and his cars actually spiked for a while.

Will Strasburg ever be 2010, no - -- but if you bought on the dip you have a good chance of getting back and then some your investment

Rich

packs
07-08-2016, 07:17 AM
Bust maybe for cards purposes but the guy was 11 - 0 and he already has one strikeout title under his belt. I'd hardly call him a bust in real life.

7nohitter
07-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Bust maybe for cards purposes but the guy was 11 - 0 and he already has one strikeout title under his belt. I'd hardly call him a bust in real life.

I agree... I'm talking about from a hobby-standpoint only.

The Reggie bush and Bernard King comparisons are good.

JustinD
07-09-2016, 05:21 PM
I would agree.

Total hobby bust based on initial expectations.