PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's MLB game at FT. Bragg, NC

ValKehl
07-03-2016, 09:13 AM
To anyone who is not already aware, tonight's ESPN game, the Braves vs. the Marlins, will be played at the Ft. Bragg, NC, military base. This is a first for MLB. Here's the link to a short read about this game:

http://m.marlins.mlb.com/news/article/187593912/fort-bragg-hosts-mlb-game-marlins-vs-braves

I got a charge outta reading this in this news piece:

"Baseball's ties to the military go back as far as the Civil War, when President Abraham Lincoln built a baseball field on the White House lawn and was allegedly once late for a war council meeting, saying, 'They will just have to wait. It is almost my turn at bat.' "

Was Abe our kind of POTUS, or what?!!!

Happy Independence Day to All (and be safe with the fireworks)!
Val

bobbyw8469
07-03-2016, 10:34 AM
I think this is great. Some of the comments I am reading at the end of the article are downright insulting though. You don't like our military, then LEAVE our country!

07-03-2016, 12:41 PM
I was aware of tonight's game, but not aware of that bit of history. Thank you very much for posting this, Val.

God Bless America

Snapolit1
07-03-2016, 02:23 PM
Free to military people. Very cool. Should become an annual tradition. No matter what your political bent is, these military people have a tough go of it and it's nice to give them some token of thanks for their service. Could be there only opportunity to see a game for years, something many of us could do at the drop of a hat. Really nice.