PDA

View Full Version : Baseball card database

Mdmtx
06-29-2016, 07:57 PM
Does anyone know of a good electronic database of cards? Not really wanting a subscription base like Beckett or to do all the copy and paste from the free checklist sites. I want to buy a program or app that has most of the cards from major sports and non sports listed, can be edited to add additional missing entries. Not concerned about correct valuations, but would like it to have the ability to export to excel to create periodic valuations on my own for insurance purposes etc... Let me know if there is anything out there.

Mark

Leon
06-30-2016, 06:01 AM
Does anyone know of a good electronic database of cards? Not really wanting a subscription base like Beckett or to do all the copy and paste from the free checklist sites. I want to buy a program or app that has most of the cards from major sports and non sports listed, can be edited to add additional missing entries. Not concerned about correct valuations, but would like it to have the ability to export to excel to create periodic valuations on my own for insurance purposes etc... Let me know if there is anything out there.

Mark

You might check with Rich Klein. He might know of something.

Rich Klein
06-30-2016, 06:18 AM
There use to be some checklist programs which were available for sale but I have not heard much about them in recent years.

I get what you want to do but right now the scope of doing this is immense (as COMC found out a couple of years ago)

Rich

Rich Klein
06-30-2016, 07:17 AM
Doing my best David Cycleback Imitation Here with the post following a post

I think the best way to do this is in bits and pieces -- this might be a way for Old Cardboard to monetize their vintage data base and checklist efforts

There is a really good non-sports checklist area as well.

Then other people can add to that but the whole task for sports and non-sports is huge.

But if you want one way to do this, the best data base by far is the Beckett data base. And they still add to their DB with not only the new releases but other things as people such as me find them, when their marketplace dealers need checklists added or when grading comes up with cards not in the DB.

Rich

MartyFromCANADA
06-30-2016, 07:58 AM
This site is great;

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/

Mdmtx
06-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like there is a hole out there for an industrious person to create something. Unfortunately I'm not that industrious!

BobbyVCP
06-30-2016, 11:11 AM
vintagecardprices.com has what you are looking for I think. We cover all sports and non sport cards. All of the set lists are available to see for free. If there are cards missing in a set just contact us and we will update it.

Steve D
06-30-2016, 06:13 PM
I've been looking for this same type of database also, only sortable by team (i.e., all cards showing LA Dodgers players, regardless of year/manufacturer). Beckett is decent, but it is not complete, and it is a total PITA to convert to Excel.

Steve

steve B
06-30-2016, 06:58 PM
For many of my sets I've made a spreadsheet that's a simple grid labeled 0-9 across the top and 0- whatever preceeding digits are required for the set down the left column. Sort of an electronic checklist.

I've done the same with the superset spreadsheet for T206, stripped out the content and I use it as a checklist.

Neither is as elaborate as what you're looking for, but serves fairly well as a checklist. I haven't figured out a good way of handling variations, ones that affect an entire set I simply make a second page.

I've considered for a while making a sort of looseleaf version of the card encyclopedia. But with more detail for each set, and probably no pricing. But as Rich has mentioned, it's a vast amount of work. Hence the looseleaf, people could get just the sections they want, most wouldn't need updating soon if ever as long as pricing wasn't a primary feature.

Steve B