PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying Mexican League ballplayers

Maris61
06-28-2016, 09:03 AM
Hello, I am trying to identify any players in the following photos for an article that I'm working on. . . . These are from a Mexico photo archive located in Mexico City (also available online through the archive's internet portal, http://fototeca.inah.gob.mx/fototeca/). Unfortunately, very little if any catalog info is provided for this archive's baseball photos. However, many of these do appear to be early Mexican league teams, though it looks like some Cuban teams as well as House City of David players show up as well....
Any help in identifying some of these guys would be greatly appreciated!

Maris61
06-28-2016, 09:06 AM
P.S. Some of these photos may have specific file names with team names included; any of those names are simply my best guesses.

bcbgcbrcb
06-28-2016, 11:10 AM
As far as Negro League HOF'ers, Dandridge (row 10 from the top) & Wells (row 9 from the top, left-hand photo). Row 11 might be Hornsby on the left.

71buc
06-28-2016, 12:31 PM
Wow those are some of the prettiest photos Ive seen posted here. I particularly love the Dandridge.

Jason19th
06-28-2016, 01:57 PM
Pretty sure that the player with the chest protector in the image with the ghost like image is Cuban great Jose Maria Fernandez

btcarfagno
06-28-2016, 03:38 PM
First photo (the one with five players)...the second player from the left looks lkke Quincy Trouppe.

Tom C

pariah1107
06-28-2016, 06:30 PM
The House of (Israelite) David team members look like George Anderson, John Tucker, and unknown. The more famous HID pepper trio was Anderson, Tucker, and "Doc" Tally, but Doc was pretty short.

The last photo (with the bats in warm up jacket) looks a lot like a very young Albert "Smiley" Clayton (1904-1969), but not sure he ever played in Mexico.

Great photos, good luck with the ID's.

Maris61
07-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Thank you to all who contributed feedback to this. The suggested names definitely give me a helpful starting point. And I'm thinking that it also may be worth a shot to contact @nlbmprez on twitter, just to seek confirmation on some of these (besides, he's always such a helpful, responsive advocate for all things NL history).
Thank you again for the help on this!

Maris61
11-28-2020, 10:29 PM
Looking to ID some notable Negro League players in these rare photos from the Mexican Baseball League, ca. 1940-45.
(Unfortunately b/c of the image size restrictions the sys. is compressing these too much so the faces aren't clear. So I'm including a link to an open Dropbox folder where the rest of the photos can be viewed. Hopefully this doesn't break any forum rules.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cciv2fg8vmjf0kx/AADsq1avls7ZLJzdgBi5N8jCa?dl=0)

Thank you for any help!