PDA

View Full Version : Mantle reprints and the trouble they've caused

larietrope
06-26-2016, 01:23 PM
I collected cards when I was age 8-14 years old. All my cards are authentic, I know, I was there, being born in 1945.
I own no graded cards, I know all of them are the real deal. Of course to sell I'd grade, but I never intend to sell. MY family can one day should they decide.
Point is, my 1952 Mantle 311 was given to me by my uncle in 1957 when I was 10. That I hung onto it was because uncle gave it to me not because I ever dreamed what it would be worth someday.
Had companies been responsible enough to place the word reprint on the Mantle cards, (which they are, a reprint) we would not be bothered with the scam artists as we are. Condition would be the only criteria for grading.
A person buying an ungraded card today takes a risk. Some are willing to roll the dice. There are authentic cards out there that aren't graded.

Bestdj777
06-26-2016, 04:01 PM
Putting reprint on it isn't the issue. The company that reprints the Goudey cards included "reprint" on it. People scratch it off anyway and still try to sell them. At the end of the day, those that are interested know the real cards from the fake ones.

As an aside, although not an actual forum rule, if you talk about an original childhood collection of Mantle cards, you should at least show pictures!

irv
06-26-2016, 04:40 PM
Putting reprint on it isn't the issue. The company that reprints the Goudey cards included "reprint" on it. People scratch it off anyway and still try to sell them. At the end of the day, those that are interested know the real cards from the fake ones.

As an aside, although not an actual forum rule, if you talk about an original childhood collection of Mantle cards, you should at least show pictures!

And get his age right too! :D

JollyElm
06-26-2016, 04:42 PM
I collected cards when I was age 8-14 years old. All my cards are authentic, I know, I was there, being born in 1945.
I own no graded cards, I know all of them are the real deal. Of course to sell I'd grade, but I never intend to sell. MY family can one day should they decide.
Point is, my 1952 Mantle 311 was given to me by my uncle in 1957 when I was 10. That I hung onto it was because uncle gave it to me not because I ever dreamed what it would be worth someday.
Had companies been responsible enough to place the word reprint on the Mantle cards, (which they are, a reprint) we would not be bothered with the scam artists as we are. Condition would be the only criteria for grading.
A person buying an ungraded card today takes a risk. Some are willing to roll the dice. There are authentic cards out there that aren't graded.

Sorry, but I have to humorously point it out. Wouldn't you have been either 11 or 12 when your uncle handed it over to you in 1957?? ;)

larietrope
06-26-2016, 06:56 PM
I would have been 12 in 1957.

MCoxon
06-27-2016, 08:47 AM
Have you gotten card graded by psa. Seems like a no brainer especially since you know yours is real. The slab should add 50-100% value right away and anyway displays nicely and is protected that way. Are you worried about min size or something like that?

dodgerfanjohn
06-27-2016, 09:35 AM
If you want to sell it you should definitely grade it. Absolute no brainier. If you disagree, please state why.

The arguments in favor of grading:

-protecting the card
-card will sell for more vs ungraded
-grading will give potential buyers peace of mind

At this point I can think of no arguments in favor of not grading that hold any water.

For better perspective a friend of mine inherited cards from his uncle about 30 years ago. One is a Pete rose rookie. My friend does not collect and I'm certain they are still in a box in my friends closet, untouched since he received them. I'm sending him a message about current values of that card and will advise him to get it graded and use a consignment service should he decide to sell. Rose in the condition I expect(vg-ex or ex) is only a few hundred dollar card. Your mantle is at least a few grand.

Bestdj777
06-27-2016, 11:14 AM
If you want to sell it you should definitely grade it. Absolute no brainier. If you disagree, please state why.

The arguments in favor of grading:

-protecting the card
-card will sell for more vs ungraded
-grading will give potential buyers peace of mind

At this point I can think of no arguments in favor of not grading that hold any water.

For better perspective a friend of mine inherited cards from his uncle about 30 years ago. One is a Pete rose rookie. My friend does not collect and I'm certain they are still in a box in my friends closet, untouched since he received them. I'm sending him a message about current values of that card and will advise him to get it graded and use a consignment service should he decide to sell. Rose in the condition I expect(vg-ex or ex) is only a few hundred dollar card. Your mantle is at least a few grand.

I've paid the exact same price for 4 figure cards that were raw that I paid for 4 figure cards that were graded. A card is worth what it is worth.