PDA

View Full Version : NYC Baseball Exhibit at The Met (UPDATED WITH PHOTOS)

Snapolit1
06-15-2016, 12:03 PM
If anyone is doing a stopover in NYC in connection with the National probably worth a stop. Burdick cards and more. I'm heading over today to check it out and can report back if anyone's interested.

Boy, the fact that I'm taking the wife (an art history major) to an art museum to see cards is going to make this collecting process a whole lot easier . . . . . .

http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2016/old-ball-game

Aquarian Sports Cards
06-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Read the article in SCD. Seemed to imply that you can't make an appointment to see the whole Burdick collection anymore. Hope that's not true, but glad I did it when I was a kid. at 18 years old holding the Wagner in my hand was amazing. Of course it was also mind blowing to see the vast majority of these amazing cards glued into albums lol.

GasHouseGang
06-15-2016, 12:15 PM
It would be interesting to see how they are displaying the collection. Since it's an exhibit thru October, that should mean it's being professionally displayed in cases or something similar for security reasons. If they let you take photos would you mind showing us a few pictures of the displays?

Snapolit1
06-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Sure. It's not the Burdick collection obviously, as it runs to the 70s.

Will be displayed in cases I assume. Will take photos and post if I can.

Snapolit1
06-15-2016, 09:18 PM
Went today. Kind of . . . eh, OK. It's one hallway. About two dozen framed sets, about 12 on each wall. Short descriptions of what they are, but no real explanation of Burdick and his amazing collection. Hit many of the major sets. Was a decent amount of people interested but took about 25 minutes to see the whole thing. My wife was amazed how stunning many of the cards, particular CJs and tobacco cards were. I'd say if you are in New York City worth a stop but amazing enough to warrant a trip. Below are some photos. Worth a pit stop.

Aquarian Sports Cards
06-15-2016, 10:01 PM
looks like they took the pages from the albums and mounted them

Brian Van Horn
06-15-2016, 10:27 PM
It's me I know, but I don't know if this was their brightest move.

Snapolit1
06-17-2016, 02:40 PM
Well they didn't glue them on the album pages. Probably better to just leave them there.

Bpm0014
06-18-2016, 09:49 AM
The CJ Jackson and the T206s look trimmed...