PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Roy Campanella signature

edtiques
06-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Hi ...... I was hoping to get some opinions on this Roy Campanella autograph if it's authentic or not.Thanks in advance.

keithsky
06-15-2016, 05:28 PM
I'm no expert but I have had 5 Campanella index cards over the years and none have looked like that. The R just doesn't look like any I've had. His older autograph seem to have a little slant and flowed real good that one just seems like the letters are all over the place and not consistent with the ones I've had. Maybe it was signed by his wife just my opinion. I could be wrong. Hopefully others will chime in and you'll get more opinions. Coaches Corner ones seem to look like that.

jgmp123
06-15-2016, 06:10 PM
I say no. I've never seen a Roy like that.

RichardSimon
06-15-2016, 06:58 PM
Casper the friendly ghost signer.

GrayGhost
06-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Casper the friendly ghost signer.

I was

gonna say that was a fake campy, but I can't top this comment;)

mrmopar
06-16-2016, 07:48 PM
I think I was told at one time that this was his wife's version of his signature. I have one very similar to that on a 1974 or 75 Program that obviously couldn't have been signed by Roy, but was likely not a "fake" for the sake of fooling people. It also looks pretty close to the stamp that says the same thing that you see on 80s items.

batsballsbases
06-16-2016, 08:39 PM
Doesnt look good to me either. Here is a real pre accident sig I have.

RichardSimon
06-17-2016, 06:07 AM
I think I was told at one time that this was his wife's version of his signature. I have one very similar to that on a 1974 or 75 Program that obviously couldn't have been signed by Roy, but was likely not a "fake" for the sake of fooling people. It also looks pretty close to the stamp that says the same thing that you see on 80s items.

He also had a "Best Wishes Roy Campanella" stamp during the 1950's.
You see them sometimes on GPC's or 3x5's.

edtiques
06-27-2016, 09:06 AM
Thank you all for your opinions. I also got the stamped version on an index card with the collection I bought.

Fuddjcal
06-27-2016, 09:19 AM
in 1990-93 I had seat on the old Club Level, which are now all luxury boxes. Back then, there were only 3 rows of seats on that level. Campy had an area to the very left side of home plate for his wheel chair and 1 seat where his wife would sit.

He was VERY gracious in talking to fans and having his wife sign his autograph. My friends have a couple balls and a program signed like that. I never would ask for autographs back then....that was a shame. Our seats were in back of Don Drysdale and his family and the Ross Porter family. Scully would come by to talk to their kids and I was in the middle of it all. It sucked the wind out of our sails when Drysdale died in 1993. I never renewed the tickets after that. When Sandy Koufax showed up after an old timers game, my mouth was agape he was so close. I wanted to have him sign a ball but I was too embarrassed to ask. I had to settle for a handshake. I love reliving those stories. Too bad I can't stand baseball or the Dodgers anymore and won't go with FREE TICKETS.