PDA

View Full Version : As a buyer, I'd like to to know if I'm buying a bumped card

Beastmode
06-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Is PSA disclosing this somewhere on the flip, because a bumped card has the same cert #. Same thing for re-holders. Just a little abbreviation somewhere on the flip.

Might also help with the fraud, and as a business practice, would certainly build trust.

The only way i know to find if a card was bumped is to look at previous sales on VCP at a grade below. Not gonna do that.

glchen
06-15-2016, 10:17 AM
PSA (or SGC or Beckett) do not disclose if a card is bumped as that would reduce a lot of the value of the bump. The only way to check is to look at past sales as you said.

glynparson
06-15-2016, 10:45 AM
more crackouts, Making the pop report even more out of wack.

Peter_Spaeth
06-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Is PSA disclosing this somewhere on the flip, because a bumped card has the same cert #. Same thing for re-holders. Just a little abbreviation somewhere on the flip.

Might also help with the fraud, and as a business practice, would certainly build trust.

The only way i know to find if a card was bumped is to look at previous sales on VCP at a grade below. Not gonna do that.

Ask the seller I am SURE they would tell you honestly. :D

GasHouseGang
06-15-2016, 11:16 AM
Ask the seller I am SURE they would tell you honestly. :D

Sure, and while you're at it, ask them if the card has been soaked.;)

Leon
06-17-2016, 03:39 PM
Sure, and while you're at it, ask them if the card has been soaked.;)

Generally if the card is wet when you obtain it, it has been soaked.

begsu1013
06-17-2016, 04:11 PM
i equate the pop report to the pirate's code of parlay ...

in that it's not so much law, but more a general guideline.

the figures are nowhere close to being correct, esp in lower to middle level grades* !

* depending on the player/price points naturally.

51 mantle psa 1 crackout to go for a 2? entirely plausible.
80 henderson 9 going for the 10? entirely plausible.

51 mantle 9, going for the 10? doubt it. or some serious brass balls.

begsu1013
06-17-2016, 04:33 PM
oh and i forgot to add:

as a buyer, im more interested in knowing if the card i bought has just bumped!

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/40947/25589799/53mantle7bowman.jpghttp://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/40947/25589799/53mantle7.5.9799.jpg

currently resubmitted and going for the 8.

glynparson
06-17-2016, 06:10 PM
Great card and has the 8 look to me. They are so tough right now though.

irishdenny
06-18-2016, 12:23 AM
oh and i forgot to add:

as a buyer, im more interested in knowing if the card i bought has just bumped!

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/40947/25589799/53mantle7bowman.jpghttp://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/40947/25589799/53mantle7.5.9799.jpg

"very Very VERY InterestiN'!!!..."

I Really Love Stuff Like THiS & I TruLy Do Hope THaT iT Works Out Fir Ya!
PLEASE LET US KNOW OF THE OUTCOME!?
CAN'T WAIT TA SEE "The Mick iN aN "8" ", C'mon Now!!! ;)

Beastmode
06-18-2016, 11:14 AM
Great card and has the 8 look to me. They are so tough right now though.

Clearly flip monkey's would not appreciate the designation on the flip that the card was bumped or reholdered, but we've jumped the shark in terms of fraud vs. branding. just a "b" or an "r" at the end of the cert #.

I believe over time, it would not have an impact on price, because most educated buyers look at the card, not the holder.

T206Collector
06-18-2016, 03:02 PM
most educated buyers look at the card, not the holder.

If only

steve B
06-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Then of course, we'll want to know if it was bumped from last months submission, or from one done before there were half grades. That probably matters more.

Steve B

swarmee
06-18-2016, 07:55 PM
No reason to provide that information to you. Don't see how it would matter to your purchase decision either. Why even keep track of it?

I submitted 100 cards from the same set on a monthly submission to PSA and when my grades popped, they said one was authentic/trimmed and they wrote that they were not going to slab it. I held the shipment and asked them to slab it anyways as a placeholder (and since I paid for the grade/slab) and when it came through the process again it was a 4.5 VG/EX+.

Which grade was more accurate? I don't know. It was 100 years old and I didn't trim it. So multiple reviewers saw it multiple times and initially said it was trimmed, and the second time thought it was very attractive for its age. How important is that knowledge to you?

CMIZ5290
06-18-2016, 08:08 PM
I have recently sold three very high end T206s to dealers on this board. 2 of the 3 bumped to higher grades when they submitted them. Does that make me an idiot? Probably. I would rather think that it's a bad situation we have as collectors with the graders at these Companies. In my opinion, this is the most corrupt part of our hobby. If we honestly don't think that big time dealers aren't getting the benefit of the doubt on grades, than we are idiots....This applies to PSA and SGC IMO...I have seen many examples that makes me sick to my stomach...

botn
06-18-2016, 08:19 PM

Nice job, Bob. I recognize that card but you stepped up for it.

begsu1013
06-18-2016, 09:42 PM
and now you know why. :D

i knew from the second i saw her that it was completely doable.

you simply don't find 53b's w/ that type of centering.

thank you again!

btw: i do have a 9 and this blows it away.

plus pwcc is about to drop a 9, so im sure it will only drag up the value perceived value of the card.

botn
06-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Don't stop at the 8! I thought it was a nice one too, obviously. Figured it would take me a year of submitting it to get it into the 8 so I stopped after the first submission.

As Glyn alluded to, they are impossible right now with bigger ticket items. Was not going to happen through my avenues.

Keep me posted.

begsu1013
06-18-2016, 10:23 PM
i went w/ the higher valued tier vs trying to slide it in under the "smr" based value / cheaper review fee.

just fyi and will do.

and btw: it popped back on the 2nd and thought it would be uncouth to email you or post anywhere that wasn't under the radar so to speak.

Leon
06-19-2016, 07:17 AM
If only

Trust me, from setting up at shows now, ignorance and stupidity are abundant concerning grading. There were a few people buying cards but to me it seems most are buying holders and flips. ugh

Beastmode
06-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Trust me, from setting up at shows now, ignorance and stupidity are abundant concerning grading. There were a few people buying cards but to me it seems most are buying holders and flips. ugh

++ that would be good for sellers/dealers then