PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Baseball Autographs

ChiSoxTony
06-14-2016, 04:34 PM
Hi, folks. This is my first post to this board. I'm glad to be a part of it.

Anyway... I'm going to the California/Carolina League All-Star Game next week, and will be getting some autographs. I'm currently planning on having them sign some ROMLB's, but am tempted to use the official Rawlings 2016 Cal/Carolina League All-Star baseballs instead. However, I'm nervous about using those baseballs, which I've heard are made of inferior leather. Do folks on the board have experience with autographs on minor league baseballs? Do the signatures hold up over time or do they fade or bleed?

Thanks for your input!

slidekellyslide
06-14-2016, 11:48 PM
I doubt the baseballs are inferior to major league balls. I have many Northern League and American Association baseballs from the last 15 years with autographs and they've all held up well..They are all Rawlings baseballs with the same quality as a major league ball.

Like any signed baseball keep them out of the light and they'll be okay.

ChiSoxTony
06-15-2016, 09:20 AM
Thanks, Slidekellyslide, for the feedback. I think I'll try using MiLB ASG balls next week. Maybe I'll post some photos if they turn out ok. Thanks again!

witster
06-15-2016, 10:55 AM
ChiSoxTony, I'll be there as well. I have no issues lately with bleeding ink on MiLB balls, though in the early 2000s that was a problem.

I typically get team signed AS balls at these games. The biggest and most frustrating problem is usually the dis/organization (take your pick) of how the players are arranged. Its usually utter chaos when you have lines criss crossing other, people looking for 2 specific cards in a stack of 100, etc. All in an hour for some team.

It seems the easiest way would be one long line with the players assembly line signing

witster

JMEnglish27
06-15-2016, 03:05 PM
Hi, folks. This is my first post to this board. I'm glad to be a part of it.

Anyway... I'm going to the California/Carolina League All-Star Game next week, and will be getting some autographs. I'm currently planning on having them sign some ROMLB's, but am tempted to use the official Rawlings 2016 Cal/Carolina League All-Star baseballs instead. However, I'm nervous about using those baseballs, which I've heard are made of inferior leather. Do folks on the board have experience with autographs on minor league baseballs? Do the signatures hold up over time or do they fade or bleed?

Thanks for your input!

The Cal League in particular at one time allowed inferior grades of balls to be used...club sourced, ESPECIALLY the co-op teams. I have an old Fresno Suns ball that was stamped with local sponsors and has a spongy, almost-plasticy hide. Had about 10 of them at one time...and they were definitely in play, caught them myself.

That's been 20+ years ago though. Haven't come across a non-standard Cal League ball since at least the early 90's.

ChiSoxTony
06-15-2016, 07:21 PM
Thanks, guys! Very helpful info!

slidekellyslide
06-15-2016, 10:21 PM
The Cal League in particular at one time allowed inferior grades of balls to be used...club sourced, ESPECIALLY the co-op teams. I have an old Fresno Suns ball that was stamped with local sponsors and has a spongy, almost-plasticy hide. Had about 10 of them at one time...and they were definitely in play, caught them myself.

That's been 20+ years ago though. Haven't come across a non-standard Cal League ball since at least the early 90's.

A team partly owned by Kevin Costner was accused of using inferior balls a few years back and the game was called. They were getting their baseballs from a local sporting goods store to save money. I'm pretty sure that all minor leagues now use Rawlings baseballs.

ChiSoxTony
06-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Thanks again for the help, folks. I was able to get two Cal league and two Carolina league team balls done - one of each for myself and also for a buddy of mine who couldn't attend. 29 different players signed and the event was fairly well organized. Based on your feedback, I used four 2016 Cal/Carolina League Rawlings All-Star baseballs. I'll try to post some photos when I have a chance.

Again, I'm excited to be a part of this board!