PDA

View Full Version : Smithsonian Baseball: Game Worn

Dave Grob
06-11-2016, 08:18 AM
After about three years of concerted effort, this went to print this week. The book is due out at the end of October. It features two separate but complementary efforts; feature uniform/player photographic essays and an illustrated compendium.

The feature essays are broken down by various eras: The Deadball Era, The Greatest Generation, The Post War Years, The Expansion Era, and the Knit Era. By era, these players/uniforms are featured:

Deadball:
Jack Coombs
Johnny Evers
Fred Lake
Frank Chance
Rube Marquard
Harry Hooper
Earl Yingling
Christy Mathewson
John McGraw
Ty Cobb
Walter Johnson
Branch Rickey
Red Faber

Greatest Generation:
Babe Ruth
Hub Pruett
Muddy Ruel
Frankie Frisch
Sam Rice
George Pipgras
Charlie Gehringer
Lefty Grove
Lefty O’Doul
Dizzy Dean
Schoolboy Rowe
Moe Berg
Randy Moore
Gabby Hartnett
Joe DiMaggio
Ernie Lombardi
Carl Hubbell
Lou Gehrig
Woody Jensen
Jimmie Foxx
Bob Feller
Ted Williams
War Years Uniforms

Post War
Satchel Paige
Warren Spahn
Eddie Waitkus
Stan Musial
Yogi Berra
Jackie Robinson
Roy Campanella
Al Kaline
Hank Aaron
Ted Kluszewski
Ernie Banks
Eddie Mathews

Expansion Era
Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris
Bill Mazeroski
Nellie Fox
Bob Gibson
Pete Rose
Willie Mays
Sandy Koufax
Roberto Clemente
Tom Seaver
Brooks Robinson and Frank Robinson
Johnny Bench

Knit Era
Carlton Fisk
Nolan Ryan
Dave Winfield
Lou Brock
Rod Carew
George Brett
Fernando Valenzuela
Mike Schmidt
Cal Ripken Jr.
Bo Jackson
Randy Johnson
Dave Cone

The illustrated compendium features 150 entries for various words, terms, phrases, individuals, and little known/interesting facts related to 20th Century major league baseball uniforms. All told, the 320 pages include approximately 350 color photographs and illustrations. We could have easily gone to something in the realm of a 500+ page count book, but as with all things there are limits; and here it was a total page count based on established/standard publishing guidelines.

At times, Stephen and I felt a young couple arguing over who got invited to a wedding reception, with invitations being dictated by the size of the reception hall. And yes, it was just like “if we include that, then we just have to have this.”

Our hope is that we have included a little something for everyone and that it can be enjoyed on any number of levels.

Dave Grob
davegrob1@aol.com

sforaker
06-11-2016, 08:27 AM
Congratulations, Dave. The book looks great, looking forward to it.

Best,

Scott

shernan30
06-11-2016, 09:47 AM
Congrats Dave. I can't wait to add this one to my collection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eastonfalcon19
06-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Can't wait to get it. Thanks Dave

ksfarmboy
06-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Sounds great! I'm in.

vintagesportscollector
06-11-2016, 10:32 AM
A definite add to my library. Congrats Dave!

Scott Garner
06-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Awesome Dave! Congrats!

FenwayFaithful
06-11-2016, 11:44 AM
Oh wow, I will absolutely pick up a copy.

baseball tourist
06-11-2016, 01:40 PM
Awesome! Congrats gents. Sign me up too pls.

jonvancouver
06-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Me too. Looks tremendous. Congrats!

perezfan
06-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Same here... Eagerly awaiting this one!

Hot Springs Bathers
06-12-2016, 07:27 AM
Dave the first edition by Stephen is my favorite memorabilia book of all-time. I keep a copy next on a shelf in my study and pick it up at least once a week for enjoyment.

I can't wait for the release!

Dave Grob
06-12-2016, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the comments, emails, and well wishes. For me, probably the most exciting thing about this project is the opportunity for outreach and presentations associated with the book. There is no set schedule yet, but I've been asked to prepare to travel and speak about uniforms and this project at Smithsonian affiliate museums and other venues.

I think it would be wonderful to tailor these presentations regionally, with information and uniforms of local interest. I will post updates as I get them.

Once again, thanks for all the well wishes.

Dave Grob

Dewey
06-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Can't wait for this to be released!

Hope you make it Los Angeles ways. There's an exhibit at the Skirball Cultural Center in LA called "Chasing Dreams: Baseball and Becoming American." (http://www.skirball.org/exhibitions/chasing-dreams-baseball-and-becoming-american)It runs through October. It's not a Smithsonian affiliate, but sure would be nice to see you there. It features Joe D's rookie uniform courtesy of Mr. Wong. :)

Dave Grob
06-13-2016, 07:57 PM
Stephen was actually in LA this week and sent me pictures of the traveling exhibit. The uniforms really stand out, but then again I am partial to them. :) I hope to have some information about at least where I might be by early fall. I know the Cincinnati Reds have already discussed the possibility of having an author event in conjunction with Redsfest in early December.

Dave Grob

YankeeFan
06-14-2016, 08:37 PM
Congratulations Dave...quite an accomplishment!
A great labor of love on your part which will educate and bring hours of enjoyment to so many collectors and fans.

icollectDCsports
06-15-2016, 12:19 PM
I'll definitely buy one of these. And please do let us know of the schedule for the exhibits.

gnaz01
06-15-2016, 12:35 PM
Can't wait to have this one

jboosted92
06-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Dave,

Just saw this! Congrats....

Im sure the character of the book, will match the character of the author

Cheers

After about three years of concerted effort, this went to print this week. The book is due out at the end of October. It features two separate but complementary efforts; feature uniform/player photographic essays and an illustrated compendium.

The feature essays are broken down by various eras: The Deadball Era, The Greatest Generation, The Post War Years, The Expansion Era, and the Knit Era. By era, these players/uniforms are featured:

Deadball:
Jack Coombs
Johnny Evers
Fred Lake
Frank Chance
Rube Marquard
Harry Hooper
Earl Yingling
Christy Mathewson
John McGraw
Ty Cobb
Walter Johnson
Branch Rickey
Red Faber

Greatest Generation:
Babe Ruth
Hub Pruett
Muddy Ruel
Frankie Frisch
Sam Rice
George Pipgras
Charlie Gehringer
Lefty Grove
Lefty O’Doul
Dizzy Dean
Schoolboy Rowe
Moe Berg
Randy Moore
Gabby Hartnett
Joe DiMaggio
Ernie Lombardi
Carl Hubbell
Lou Gehrig
Woody Jensen
Jimmie Foxx
Bob Feller
Ted Williams
War Years Uniforms

Post War
Satchel Paige
Warren Spahn
Eddie Waitkus
Stan Musial
Yogi Berra
Jackie Robinson
Roy Campanella
Al Kaline
Hank Aaron
Ted Kluszewski
Ernie Banks
Eddie Mathews

Expansion Era
Bill Mazeroski
Nellie Fox
Bob Gibson
Pete Rose
Willie Mays
Sandy Koufax
Roberto Clemente
Tom Seaver
Johnny Bench

Knit Era
Carlton Fisk
Nolan Ryan
Dave Winfield
Lou Brock
Rod Carew
George Brett
Fernando Valenzuela
Mike Schmidt
Cal Ripken Jr.
Bo Jackson
Randy Johnson
Dave Cone

The illustrated compendium features 150 entries for various words, terms, phrases, individuals, and little known/interesting facts related to 20th Century major league baseball uniforms. All told, the 320 pages include approximately 350 color photographs and illustrations. We could have easily gone to something in the realm of a 500+ page count book, but as with all things there are limits; and here it was a total page count based on established/standard publishing guidelines.

At times, Stephen and I felt a young couple arguing over who got invited to a wedding reception, with invitations being dictated by the size of the reception hall. And yes, it was just like “if we include that, then we just have to have this.”

Our hope is that we have included a little something for everyone and that it can be enjoyed on any number of levels.

Dave Grob
davegrob1@aol.com

jboosted92
06-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Dave,

Just saw this! Congrats....

Im sure the character of the book, will match the character of the author

Cheers

Deadball:
Jack Coombs
Johnny Evers
Fred Lake
Frank Chance
Rube Marquard
Harry Hooper
Earl Yingling
Christy Mathewson
John McGraw
Ty Cobb
Walter Johnson
Branch Rickey
Red Faber

Greatest Generation:
Babe Ruth
Hub Pruett
Muddy Ruel
Frankie Frisch
Sam Rice
George Pipgras
Charlie Gehringer
Lefty Grove
Lefty O’Doul
Dizzy Dean
Schoolboy Rowe
Moe Berg
Randy Moore
Gabby Hartnett
Joe DiMaggio
Ernie Lombardi
Carl Hubbell
Lou Gehrig
Woody Jensen
Jimmie Foxx
Bob Feller
Ted Williams
War Years Uniforms

Post War
Satchel Paige
Warren Spahn
Eddie Waitkus
Stan Musial
Yogi Berra
Jackie Robinson
Roy Campanella
Al Kaline
Hank Aaron
Ted Kluszewski
Ernie Banks
Eddie Mathews

Expansion Era
Bill Mazeroski
Nellie Fox
Bob Gibson
Pete Rose
Willie Mays
Sandy Koufax
Roberto Clemente
Tom Seaver
Johnny Bench

Knit Era
Carlton Fisk
Nolan Ryan
Dave Winfield
Lou Brock
Rod Carew
George Brett
Fernando Valenzuela
Mike Schmidt
Cal Ripken Jr.
Bo Jackson
Randy Johnson
Dave Cone

Dave Grob
davegrob1@aol.com

Dave Grob
11-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Thought I would share an update and some good news. GAME WORN has been nominated as a finalist for the 2016 Casey Award by Spitball Magazine as one of the best baseball books for 2016. In addition, I have just confirmed that the Cincinnati Reds will host a book signing during Redsfest this year (2-3 December).

I will be on hand on Friday evening and again on Saturday afternoon. In addition to the Saturday signing, I will be presenting the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum with a uniform from the book for addition to the permanent collection.

Dave Grob
davegrob1@aol.com

lefty147
11-08-2016, 02:41 PM
Congratulations Dave.

Hot Springs Bathers
11-09-2016, 07:32 AM
Well deserved!

Scott Garner
11-11-2016, 04:37 AM
Terrific news, Dave. You guy's deserve it. :)

Boomer
11-16-2016, 06:49 AM
Received book Game Worn. It is incredible. Let me say again INCREDIBLE

jboosted92
11-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Thought I would share an update and some good news. GAME WORN has been nominated as a finalist for the 2016 Casey Award by Spitball Magazine as one of the best baseball books for 2016. In addition, I have just confirmed that the Cincinnati Reds will host a book signing during Redsfest this year (2-3 December).

I will be on hand on Friday evening and again on Saturday afternoon. In addition to the Saturday signing, I will be presenting the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum with a uniform from the book for addition to the permanent collection.

Dave Grob
davegrob1@aol.com

Nice work Dave, Looking forward to having it on my coffee Table

- Justin Brooks

Dave Grob
11-17-2016, 04:56 AM
Boomer and Justin,

Thanks for the comments. Folks really seem to enjoy the book, and for a surprising number of different reasons. I have done some radio interviews this past week (NY, Seattle, and Milwaukee) and each has highlighted something that was found uniquely enjoyable by the host and the persons they have shared it with.

Dave Grob
Dave Grob1@aol.com

Mark
11-17-2016, 10:35 AM
Boomer and Justin,

Thanks for the comments. Folks really seem to enjoy the book, and for a surprising number of different reasons. I have done some radio interviews this past week (NY, Seattle, and Milwaukee) and each has highlighted something that was found uniquely enjoyable by the host and the persons they have shared it with.

Dave Grob
Dave Grob1@aol.com

Thanks for sharing this here. I will order a copy today.

Dave Grob
11-18-2016, 10:32 AM
The book signing sponsored by the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum at Redsfest will be:

Friday 2 Dec (6:30-7:30pm)

Saturday 3 December (1:00-2:00pm)

Saturday 3 December (3:00-4:00pm)

Dave Grob

Dave Grob
12-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Wonderful time signing books at Redfest, but the highlight had to be when a kid (maybe nine or ten) asked me to sign a ball for him. I said, "gladly but are you sure?" He replied "yes please." I did and handed him the ball back and he said thank you and I told him he was very welcome. As I was walking away I heard him say to his dad, "who'd I get?" The dad replied, "not sure, but I think he was the bull pen catcher on the 1990 team."

Dave Grob

Scott Garner
12-31-2016, 11:40 AM
I just up picking up my copy of Game Worn Baseball Treasures yesterday.
Kudos to net54's Dave Grob and Stephen Wong.
After flipping through it, I can honestly say that it's awe inspiring.
If you haven't done so already, do yourself a favor and add this one to your baseball permanent library. :)