PDA

View Full Version : E90-1 Clarke / Phila. --> Pitt's.

mybuddyinc
06-10-2016, 02:17 PM
First off, very happy to have picked up this Clarke, Pitts. in recent Heritage:

Where as his Phila. card is a quite easy HOF, the Pitts. variation is one of the toughest in set. Most would agree top 10, some (like me :rolleyes:) would argue top 5.

Although quality control may not have been what it should have at American Caramel, it is quite amazing they accidentally initially had Clarke designated with Phila. (of course, not a team change, never played for Phila. and was a Pitts. icon).

Years ago, we had some great discussions on the production of E90-1s (should readdress it one day). It was the consensus that there were probably three printings. The first, being the largest and most common, second, harder, third, getting crazy tough. Due to it's availability, one would have to conclude that Clarke, Phila. was in first issue, then "corrected" in a following run.

Nothing new ........... except I noticed something different about my new "Pitt's." ............ it still has remnants of the old "Phila."

Top caption is a basic Phila.
Middle is my new Pitt's.
Bottom is a basic Pitt's.

Looking at middle caption, you can see that the "i" in Pitt's. is actually still part of the "h" in Phila. (really no "i" at all). Also, the "a" in Phila. is still present. Therefore, I assume, at some point in the team correction, the Phila. was not totally removed for some runs. It was then "cleaned" up.

Maybe nothing to exciting, but I do really like my Clarke, Phtt'sa. :):)

irishdenny
06-10-2016, 02:46 PM
Hey there Scott,

So when You 1st Show Us this Beauty,
I was pretty much taken back at how Cool THiS CaRD Really iS!!!
iN my last 5 year hunt fir these E90-1's
Nevar Have I've Seen Such a Unique "Double PrintiN"
Of one of the Toughest one's iN this Set!!!

"Congratulation's" Are Definitely iN Order...

edhans
06-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Nice observation, Scott; not, however to be confused as evidence to support the three series theory. E90-1 was not issued in three "series" as modern collectors like to think of them, but at least eight distinct "printings" with additions, repalcements and corrections over the two year life of the set.

ullmandds
06-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Vèry cool...thx for sharing. The mini monster is full of intrigue.

Luke
06-10-2016, 06:54 PM
That's a great card Scott, thanks for posting!

06-10-2016, 07:12 PM
Awesome pickup and discovery, Scott!

tiger8mush
06-10-2016, 07:45 PM
very neat! looks like "Plttisa" haha

Leon
06-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Very cool. Print anomalies are neat to collect. I showed a few younger collectors a full E126 ghost back today and they loved it.

Where as his Phila. card is a quite easy HOF, the Pitts. variation is one of the toughest in set. Most would agree top 10, some (like me :rolleyes:) would argue top 5.

Although quality control may not have been what it should have at American Caramel, it is quite amazing they accidentally initially had Clarke designated with Phila. (of course, not a team change, never played for Phila. and was a Pitts. icon).

Years ago, we had some great discussions on the production of E90-1s (should readdress it one day). It was the consensus that there were probably three printings. The first, being the largest and most common, second, harder, third, getting crazy tough. Due to it's availability, one would have to conclude that Clarke, Phila. was in first issue, then "corrected" in a following run.

Nothing new ........... except I noticed something different about my new "Pitt's." ............ it still has remnants of the old "Phila."

Middle is my new Pitt's.

Looking at middle caption, you can see that the "i" in Pitt's. is actually still part of the "h" in Phila. (really no "i" at all). Also, the "a" in Phila. is still present. Therefore, I assume, at some point in the team correction, the Phila. was not totally removed for some runs. It was then "cleaned" up.

irishdenny
06-22-2016, 09:15 PM

Middle is my new Pitt's.

Scott!!!

When I was GoiN THRouGH my E90-1's the Other Nite...
I JuST Couldn't Believe my Eyes!!! ~ "Truly!?!?"
It was Like THiS Beauty JuST Appear'd Before my Eyes???
I STiLL Can't Believe THaT I've Found "Mr. Clarke's Twin"
ALMoST Identical... THiS iS MiND BoGGLiN Ta Me!!!
iN A GooD Way Aye ;)

Whatcha Guyz THiNK!?!?

Billy5858
06-22-2016, 09:52 PM
:eek: I'll sit back and watch
you vets sort this one out

egbeachley
06-22-2016, 10:15 PM
I must be slow or something. Wouldn't this be an attempt at forging a Pitts from a Phila?

irishdenny
06-23-2016, 04:59 AM
I must be slow or something. Wouldn't this be an attempt at forging a Pitts from a Phila?

Gentleman...

Wit All Due Respect ~
These are witout a doubt, Printings Within & From the Factory of OrigiN!

iN my Humblest OpinioN...
There has BeeN No Attempt to Forge Either of these Cards!

And I'm Confident THaT Scott & Many Others...
Nevar EveN had GiveN THiS idea a THouGHT!!!

They are JuST Very Cool (Factory Mis~Print'd, Re~Print'd...) Cards.
Mr. Clarke Nevar Even Play'd fir Philadelphia.

As Always my Friends...

mybuddyinc
06-23-2016, 11:07 AM
"And I'm Confident THaT Scott & Many Others...
Nevar EveN had GiveN THiS idea a THouGHT!!!"

Yes, 100% Pitt's, never thought of thinking about !!!

Am. Caramel messed up team, tried to fix it, obviously, they didn't do such a good job first time around. :p

Denny, your card is Grand !!!!!!!!

Fun stuff, Scott :rolleyes: