PDA

View Full Version : 1916 Fleischmanns at Goodwin last night...

GregMitch34
06-10-2016, 10:30 AM
Wonder what anyone, who was checking them out, thinks about prices they went for. An amazing group of about 20, a few HOFers, mainly not, all of them either only graded card or one of two. Very hard to judge value and bid, as most never auctioned in the past and even comparables tough.

For example, VCP had some common SGC 2's in the recent past (and not even only ones graded) for 1500-1700. Last night similar cards went for about half of that, but prices all over the map. I thought last night's prices might go higher, but very quirky. For example, the one SGC 5 went for over $4000 but a 4.5 (only one ever graded) went for $720, and another for $1100.

Possibly there were "too many" of them at once and if sold separately prices would have been much higher. Any thoughts?

Leon
06-10-2016, 10:36 AM
I have handled and sold quite a few over the years. The prices were fairly strong, overall, imo.....

packs
06-10-2016, 10:39 AM
I really liked the image on the Chief Meyers card. If I weren't waiting for LOTG to end tomorrow I'd have been all over it.

midmo
06-10-2016, 10:49 AM
I really liked the image on the Chief Meyers card. If I weren't waiting for LOTG to end tomorrow I'd have been all over it.

Me too. I was the under bidder on that one...

buymycards
06-10-2016, 11:12 AM
I thought it was interesting that SGC 10 common T213-2's had starting bids of $100, plus the vig and shipping. These cards commonly sell on eBay for anywhere between $30 and $50. I wonder what the thought process was for starting these at $100? Needless to say, they didn't sell.

Rick

rhettyeakley
06-10-2016, 11:55 AM
Strong prices overall, not sure there were any "deals" on them. I like the set but rarer sets have struggled to gain similar pricing, not sure I totally understand why this set sells for as much as they do (specifically the larger HOFers).

Leon
06-10-2016, 12:02 PM
......not sure I totally understand why this set sells for as much as they do (specifically the larger HOFers).

Larger HOF'er collectors....and possibly even a set collector for the most rare ones. There might only be 5 set collectors but if there is only 2-3 known, there can be a tussel.

packs
06-10-2016, 12:04 PM
Personally I think a lot of the value has to do with the images. That Meyers card was a beauty. And that Daubert card was striking too.

rhettyeakley
06-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Larger HOF'er collectors....and possibly even a set collector for the most rare ones. There might only be 5 set collectors but if there is only 2-3 known, there can be a tussel.

Leon, totally understand. These cards selling for what they do doesn't really surprise me because I actually really like them. That being said, usually the stuff I find most interesting aren't the things that tend to sell for so much! (In other words, nobody else likes them!)

GregMitch34
06-10-2016, 01:18 PM
I think they sell because, for me, most black and white cards are boring--especially the standard sized smaller ones. But these are bigger and the photos are not in most cases used on other cards. But the size and shape is what's cool, along with coupons attached....

Brian Van Horn
06-10-2016, 01:37 PM
Prices in respect to the commons had a good range. Obviously, the better common players (sounds like a contradiction in terms) got more bids. I had bids on not just Stengel, Gardner and Herzog, but also Daubert and Gowdy. The cards have a following with people willing to pay good money, including myself.

Louieman
06-10-2016, 02:05 PM
I agree with Greg on the unique appeal of these B/W cards. Most are boring to me as well, but the images on these D381s are particularly full of emotion. They remind me of something Richard Avedon would have done. I was at my max I could do on the Joe Wood card and someone went up one more bid on me in the extra hours. But I was happy to win the Gowdy, and I feel I got lucky because I wasn't willing to up my bid any further on that one.