PDA

View Full Version : How you define ORIGINAL photo

jason.1969
06-08-2016, 03:07 PM
I saw a cool Hank Aaron signed 8x10 on eBay and was intrigued by the word Original in the description.

Once I noticed the "STAPLES" watermark on the reverse, I let the seller know the 1953-1954 photo couldn't have been older than about 1990. She said she would check with PSA and then repost accordingly.

Well, the item is back up after a week with no change. I know ORIGINAL can mean different things to different people, so I'll just say...but not to me! [emoji1]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301978534836

JoeyFarino
06-08-2016, 03:27 PM
I saw that same photo and messaged the seller too. I asked her why she said it was a original when its clearly not. She said its "original" because she hasnt seen his 54 rookie image signed before. She said she knew it wasnt vintage and her definition of original is different from the majority of people's. I dont even know if the auto is good either. Some people will try anything because theres so many un-knowledgeable people out there who would buy that thinking they had a type 1

jason.1969
06-08-2016, 03:42 PM
If it really were THE original photo, what a find though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

jason.1969
06-08-2016, 03:43 PM
And just connected the dots...Am I right you have an insane collection of Aaron photos?

JoeyFarino
06-08-2016, 05:13 PM
And just connected the dots...Am I right you have an insane collection of Aaron photos?

Ya thatd be a hell of a find...i literally would need a diaper...lol....but ya i have a pretty nice collection of hank photos.

drcy
06-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Original means what you think it means. Just as I don't have to explain what is an original painting.

If you want a specific, technical definition it's a photograph made directly from the original negative very soon after the image was shot. The exception to the 'directly from the original negative' is with a wholly unique creation, such as some artistically and meaningfully unique artistic collage or composite image-- and whether or not it is truly unique/original is judged and debated instance by instance. The latter can always be debated as it's an aesthetic/philosophical question as much as a technical one.

The below vintage 1890 cabinet card is a rephotographing of cutout photos, but the design is so creative and unique that I would call it original. If someone doesn't want to call it original, but just vintage that is fine. Doesn't effect the value.

http://photos.imageevent.com/uffda51/19thcenturycabinetcards/websize/1890%20Columbus%20BB%20cabinet%202013%20NSCC.jpg