PDA

View Full Version : SGC Gehrig Authentication

Bob100
06-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Hi all, I am brand-new to the forum and am a casual baseball card collector who has gotten back into collecting after a long layoff. I am amazed at how much the profession has changed with the whole grading process. What scares me the most is reading about how members have purchased slabbed cards that turned out to be fraudulent. I was looking at purchasing a Lou Gehrig on eBay and do not have any SGC holders, so I am not sure what to look for with authenticity. Would anyone mind taking a look and seeing if this looks authentic to you? Thanks! Joe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322132689372?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

JoeDfan
06-04-2016, 01:08 PM
Ask seller for close ups of the bottom left.

Bob100
06-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Hello! Thanks so much for your help. The seller provided the attached picture of the bottom left. What does everyone think as to authenticity? Thanks again! Joe

ullmandds
06-06-2016, 10:40 AM
what is your concern? the card appears authentic and unaltered to me. SGC can be trusted in accurately authenticating vintage 99% of the time.

Bob100
06-06-2016, 11:11 AM
Thanks so much for responding! I have no specific concerns about the card but this would be a major purchase for me and I am not really sure what to look for. I do appreciate everyone's comments in this area to a newbie. Thanks again, Joe

chaddurbin
06-06-2016, 12:37 PM
it's sad when the tpa is supposed to be the barrier/buffer for noobs against fakes and reprints and now you can't even trust slabbed stuff. probably best to go back and diy with a few common beaters inhale and molest a few raw cards to gain experience and trusting yourself. if you enjoy the hobby then you'll enjoy the process, there's no shortcut.

ullmandds
06-06-2016, 12:39 PM
it's sad when the tpa is supposed to be the barrier/buffer for noobs against fakes and reprints and now you can't even trust slabbed stuff. probably best to go back and diy with a few common beaters inhale and molest a few raw cards to gain experience and trusting yourself. if you enjoy the hobby then you'll enjoy the process, there's no shortcut.

right?

Bob100
06-06-2016, 03:52 PM
Thanks all, I went ahead and bought it. I really appreciate the input as it makes me feel a lot better about the process! Joe