PDA

View Full Version : Need advice ASAP on PSA ticket grading

T_Hamilton
05-29-2016, 10:29 PM
Hey guys -

Won this on eBay tonight.... 1932 World Series Game 3 ticket stub, from the game that Ruth called his shot. Has been a holy Grail item for awhile. Of course need to get this graded right away. Would love your opinion on the authenticity and what is best for grading. Should I try and get a numerical grade or just authentic. Any and all input needed and needed ASAP. Thank you!

Taylor

T_Hamilton
05-29-2016, 10:30 PM
Front of ticket

Lordstan
05-29-2016, 11:13 PM
While I am no expert on tickets, it certainly does appear to have the correct aging characteristics.

I have to ask, why did you spend over $2k on an item without a firm knowledge of it's authenticity? I don't understand why people don't ask before they buy stuff.

Lastly, I am not sure why you feel you NEED to get it graded right away. Grading certainly an option, but it's certainly not needed. Unless you think it's going to get some really high numerical grade, not sure you need to spend the extra money for a number.

It's a great ticket. Enjoy.
Mark

Scott Garner
05-30-2016, 04:43 AM
While I am no expert on tickets, it certainly does appear to have the correct aging characteristics.

I have to ask, why did you spend over $2k on an item without a firm knowledge of it's authenticity? I don't understand why people don't ask before they buy stuff.

Lastly, I am not sure why you feel you NEED to get it graded right away. Grading certainly an option, but it's certainly not needed. Unless you think it's going to get some really high numerical grade, not sure you need to spend the extra money for a number.

It's a great ticket. Enjoy.
Mark

I would completely agree with Mark on this. In my mind the only reason to grade a ticket with a numerical score is if you felt that it would score very high (8-10) and you planned to resell it.

BTW, if you ever do resell it, the auction house will pay to have it PSA graded before putting it in their auction, which begs the question, why spend your hard earned cash now?

T_Hamilton
05-30-2016, 06:49 AM
Both valid points. I did some extensive research before I bid. In my opinion there are multiple benefits to grade, especially right away. 1) if for any reason it comes back as questions authenticity I can get my money back via the sellers 30 day money back guarantee, 2) the slab is a good way to preserve and protect the ticket and 3) the grade on this ticket is important as very few have been graded and even fewer have been graded a specific grade. This specimen in my opinion could get a nice grade.

Lordstan
05-30-2016, 08:38 AM
1) if for any reason it comes back as questions authenticity I can get my money back via the sellers 30 day money back guarantee,
Fair enough. Still why spend that much on something you aren't sure of, but it's your money. So spend it as you wish

2) the slab is a good way to preserve and protect the ticket
True, but so is any $5 hard plastic case.

3) the grade on this ticket is important as very few have been graded and even fewer have been graded a specific grade. This specimen in my opinion could get a nice grade.
Again, grade doesn't matter at all unless you plan to sell it now. As Scott said, when you go to sell it most large AHs, will get it slabbed and graded before selling it. I would keep keep the money to spend on other stuff. BTW, from a quick search, it appears that you set a new price record for a ticket from this game. Being that it sold for even more than any slabbed version I could find ever has and had at least 4 bidders above 2K, not sure the slab does add a whole lot more value.

Ultimately, it's your money. Spend it as you will and be happy.

bigfanNY
05-30-2016, 11:38 AM
I have some recent experience having World series Tickets graded (None this expensive) but a 36, 41, etc. and The criteria is similar to cards so if it looks like a 6 it's a 4 .... Had Much nicer looking Tickets than this one come back 4. Edges are rough on this one and if there is 1 crease then a 2 is best you can expect. Just trying to help and set expectations the others that responded are much more knowledgeable about Tickets than me. (I would say you got 80 years plus of ticket knowledge respond already to this thread) Best of Luck
Jonathan

David Atkatz
05-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Hey guys - Of course need to get this graded right away.
TaylorWHY? Will anything PSA says change what this is? It's a genuine ticket to the game. It sat in someone's pocket when Ruth did--or didn't--call his shot. You can see it's in great condition.
Why piss money away?

RichardSimon
05-30-2016, 03:16 PM
Both valid points. I did some extensive research before I bid. In my opinion there are multiple benefits to grade, especially right away. 1) if for any reason it comes back as questions authenticity I can get my money back via the sellers 30 day money back guarantee, 2) the slab is a good way to preserve and protect the ticket and 3) the grade on this ticket is important as very few have been graded and even fewer have been graded a specific grade. This specimen in my opinion could get a nice grade.

This is why PSA spends so much on advertising.

seattlerainiers
05-30-2016, 04:38 PM
FWIW, I've never felt any need to grade mine.

keithsky
05-30-2016, 04:39 PM
Like it's been said many times before it's all about the holder. The condition of the ticket isn't going to change one bit because it says PSA. People are so obsessed about having something say PSA or JSA in a holder. Sure you can get more money with an item in a holder then not but collectors made it that way by being brainwashed it has to say PSA or JSA

ajenks3378
05-30-2016, 05:49 PM
Looks like a psa 3 to me...
Rounded edges and corners...
I have a feeling you will be very disappointed if you are looking for a high grade on this ticket...
Andy

mcgwirecom
05-30-2016, 06:35 PM
They grade tickets just like cards. Unless it looks like it was just cut out with a laser don't bother. Because when you resell something that is graded a 3 it will probably sell for less then an ungraded stub. MOST ticket collectors have no time for grading tickets. There is not a lot of forged tickets out there to begin with. Honestly I've never seen one. Maybe they exist though...

megalimey
06-03-2016, 12:43 PM
Hi my name is David
I am an actual PSA consultant when it pertains to Regular Season Yankee Tickets , in my opinion you should 10000% get this slabbed by PSA and no other company please regardless of price savings
to make sure it is authentic , I was watching this ticket on sell on ebay
I personally know two of the bidders you were up against they would know it was real hence their bids , I give it a 999.9 % of being real however as far as condition by the looks of the ticket it has some rounded corners maybe a possible dinged corner, soiled slightly round the edges but I cannot tell if it has any wrinkles or creases based on none of these issues it would come back as a VG 2 maybe a VG 3 but not much higher they grade by the same strict standards as a Baseball card
FYI you have to pay a $100 extra to get it done in ten working days, also the valuation for insurance based in price paid
for $50 it is 45 working days which actually can take longer
bottom line your into it for nearly 3 grand so for a couple of hundred more
its slabbed in tamper evident casing you then can show it to your to whoever with out fear of being damaged or mishandled , what ever you do not put it in a screw down plastic holder , any questions contact me
thanks David

megalimey
06-03-2016, 12:49 PM
I also forgot to mention
for all those people that say do not waste your money on getting a ticket slabbed especially by PSA
look at completed sales , the top 500 highest prices paid for ticket stubs
in the USA in the last 5 years have been slabbed 95% by PSA
and a 100% of the top 150 , I guess the naysayers no less than the general public

Shoeless Moe
06-03-2016, 01:03 PM
I also forgot to mention
for all those people that say do not waste your money on getting a ticket slabbed especially by PSA
and a 100% of the top 150 , I guess the naysayers no less than the general public

Can you post a list of the Top 150, I'd be curious to see it?

Bestdj777
06-03-2016, 01:30 PM
I also forgot to mention

Please post your name if you are going to be giving an opinion about a company. Also, if you know two of the top under bidders on this, and you feel confident that they know it is real, why does it need to be graded to determine it is real?

David Atkatz
06-03-2016, 01:45 PM
Hi my name is David
I am an actual PSA consultant when it pertains to Regular Season Yankee Tickets , in my opinion you should 10000% get this slabbed by PSA and no other company please Gee... A guy who works for PSA grading tickets says it's an absolute must that this ticket be graded, and graded by nobody but PSA.

I'm shocked.

(My name is David, too.)

Shoeless Moe
06-03-2016, 02:17 PM
This one graded by SGC did pretty good ($14,340.00), so curious to see the 150 that did better than it.

http://sports.ha.com/itm/basketball/1962-philadelphia-warriors-wilt-chamberlain-100-point-game-ticket-stub/a/7065-81604.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

and this ungraded by anyone didn't do too bad $11,352,.50

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1947-jackie-robinson-s-first-major-league-game-ticket-stub/a/716-81986.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

but again curious to see the 150 that beat these guys.

Lordstan
06-03-2016, 03:08 PM
David(Megalimey).

I see you seem to think that there is a lot of value in grading. It's not surprising that you do, considering you work for the company that provides the service and would probably be out of a job if nobody used the service.

Your example about all those high end tickets is pretty misleading as most of the major auction houses will automatically send high end tickets, cards, and autos to be slabbed and graded. If all the major auction houses send tickets in for grading and all the high end tickets get sold through the biggest auction houses, it stands to reason that most of the tickets with the highest realized prices will be slabbed. Unfortunately, for you, that doesn't prove that the slab actually impacted the price. This specific ticket proves this point exactly. This 32 WS ticket was auctioned, without a slab/cert, not in a major auction house, and still sold for more than any comparable ticket I could find in any condition. If slabbing is so important, I am curious as to how you would then explain this? Why didn't the others that were slabbed sell for so much more?

Taylor,
You can find plenty of ticket specific screw downs that will protect it just fine without having to give a TPA $50-100 to tell you that a ticket you know to be real is real. I am just flabbergasted at how people have been brainwashed to think that slabbing somehow universally makes things better or more valuable.
Mark

keithsky
06-03-2016, 03:12 PM
Gee... A guy who works for PSA grading tickets says it's an absolute must that this ticket be graded, and graded by nobody but PSA.

I'm shocked.

(My name is David, too.)
I agree with you Dave. The guy works for PSA and is probably on the payroll by them and surprisingly he says you should get tickets graded and slabbed. Now that's funny

RichardSimon
06-03-2016, 03:17 PM
I agree with you Dave. The guy works for PSA and is probably on the payroll by them and surprisingly he says you should get tickets graded and slabbed. Now that's funny

Bad enough they advertise a lot,, do they need a shill on Net54?

mcgwirecom
06-03-2016, 03:51 PM
Heres the deal, I sell tickets all the time in big auction houses. I send them in for the auction and they insist on having them PSA graded. So almost all the stubs that go into big auctions get graded by PSA. Not my choice, theirs. So thats why all the top selling stubs are all PSA graded, the auction houses insist on it. I think its so it takes all the responsibilty off of them. After its slabbed and graded they put it in the catalog with PSA's description. Psa said it's real, PSA said it NMT, etc.

prestigecollectibles
06-03-2016, 04:05 PM
FWIW, this ticket authenticated by PSA experts is upside down.

frankbmd
06-03-2016, 04:27 PM
I am not a ticket guy, but I have one

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/frankbmd/autographs/7615/larsen-berra

I keep it in a screw down along with receipts from both the Larsen and Berra autographs, that I obtained after purchasing the ticket. I do not have a receipt from PSA, nor do I plan to get one.

Are there any skeptics about authenticity?:rolleyes:

Exhibitman
06-03-2016, 05:39 PM
Heaven knows I've been rough as hell on PSA over the years but I found there was indeed value added in ticket slabbing. I picked up a semi-tough Muhammad Ali ticket at a show, raw, had PSA encapsulate it, and was able to sell it for a lot more than I paid. I don't think it would have sold as well had it remained raw.

I also had a very difficult but delicate basketball ticket encapsulated for protection, so there's that aspect to consider too. If something is very small, delicate or oversized, I tend to get them into some kind of slab just for my (mis)handling peace of mind.

That said, I'd wait for a special to get it done.

RichardSimon
06-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Heaven knows I've been rough as hell on PSA over the years but I found there was indeed value added in ticket slabbing. I picked up a semi-tough Muhammad Ali ticket at a show, raw, had PSA encapsulate it, and was able to sell it for a lot more than I paid. I don't think it would have sold as well had it remained raw.

I also had a very difficult but delicate basketball ticket encapsulated for protection, so there's that aspect to consider too. If something is very small, delicate or oversized, I tend to get them into some kind of slab just for my (mis)handling peace of mind.

That said, I'd wait for a special to get it done.

A perfect example of the power of advertising.

jerseygary
06-03-2016, 06:20 PM
With regards to that '31 Japanese Tour ticket - why the heck didn't they just say "we have no idea what it is so we're not authenticating it" instead of encase it upside down? That's just inexcusable and very embarrassing.

prestigecollectibles
06-03-2016, 06:38 PM
With regards to that '31 Japanese Tour ticket - why the heck didn't they just say "we have no idea what it is so we're not authenticating it" instead of encase it upside down? That's just inexcusable and very embarrassing.

Great question, I have seen numerous PSA mistakes regarding cards and memorabilia. I get the feeling they really don't care.

jerseygary
06-03-2016, 08:10 PM
In the Japanese ticket I don't think it's that they don't care - it's that they didn't KNOW, which I find much more troubling.

glchen
06-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Taylor, I'd just get the ticket graded by PSA. As you said, if there are questions on authenticity, you can return it via ebay. I think you have 30 days via ebay to return, but even longer on Paypal. And if you used AMEX to pay, you practically have 6 months to a year, I believe.

Although other posters have stated that if you send the ticket to an AH, they will grade it for you, often times, the AH will still charge you for grading the ticket. (If you have a huge consignment, they may waive this charge.) If you grade the ticket yourself, you have more options. You can go private sale, list it on ebay yourself via BIN, etc, and of course, still go to the AH, if needed. Moreover, if you accidentally step in front of a bus, your loved ones will more likely know that what you have is a ticket of some value if it is encapsulated. Otherwise, they may just think it's scrap paper and toss it.

Ultimately it is up to you. There are many, many long time collectors that are very comfortable having very valuable items raw. They know exactly what they have, and if they ever want to sell it, they know what to do. It's all in what you decide is best for yourself.

megalimey
06-03-2016, 10:33 PM
THE LAY MAN /SLASH RICH COLLECTOR of tickets
likes to display there items being slabbed allows that, unlike the OLD school collector who stuffs them away in a box loosy goose , eventually dying and leaving no clue as to their value , family member sell them for pennies on the dollar , as they look like nothing special in an old scrapbook or in a cigar box
Slabbing tickets just like slabbing a Mantle rookie card is for the time it eventually gets sold long or soon after your dead , its about preserving the condition , would you by a 1851 Gold coin for more money Raw unslabbed
or a PCGS graded coin I know where I would spend my money
I agree there are very few fake tickets if any , but the new to the Hobby does not know that , and this are where the hobby is heading Up scale man caves
who have deep pockets
so can you just except this is where the high end part of the hobby is heading
there are a sprinkling of raw tickets sold for thousands verses 10s of thousands
sold for $1000s so obviously you non believers are in the very small minority

smotan_02
06-03-2016, 10:39 PM
likes to display there items being slabbed allows that, unlike the OLD school collector who stuffs them away in a box loosy goose , eventually dying and leaving no clue as to their value , family member sell them for pennies on the dollar , as they look like nothing special in an old scrapbook or in a cigar box
Slabbing tickets just like slabbing a Mantle rookie card is for the time it eventually gets sold long or soon after your dead , its about preserving the condition , would you by a 1851 Gold coin for more money Raw unslabbed
I agree there are very few fake tickets if any , but the new to the Hobby does not know that , and this are where the hobby is heading Up scale man caves
who have deep pockets
there are a sprinkling of raw tickets sold for thousands verses 10s of thousands

I feel like I just witnessed something spectacular

megalimey
06-03-2016, 10:47 PM
check out heritage Auction ticket archives last 12 months
top highest 1-38 results
highest price $67,000 - $6,000 PSA slabbed top 32 out 38
were PSA 2 SGC
sure for one RAW ticket that sells for over 10 grand there are two that sell for that Slabbed

David Atkatz
06-04-2016, 01:42 AM
top highest 1-38 results
were PSA 2 SGC
sure for one RAW ticket that sells for over 10 grand there are two that sell for that SlabbedYou don't pay attention, do you, David?
These tickets were slabbed because Heritage required it.
In general, the highest prices for memorabilia are garnered by the big auction houses.
The big auction houses have the tickets they offer slabbed.
Ergo, slabbed tickets bring the highest prices.

But--and it is a very large but--here is NO DATA which implies that unslabbed tickets would not do just as well at these auctions.

David Atkatz
06-04-2016, 01:44 AM
who have deep pockets
sold for $1000s so obviously you non believers are in the very small minorityIf I had a dollar for every grammatical and logical error in this post I could afford to get all my tickets slabbed.

Scott Garner
06-04-2016, 03:49 AM
You don't pay attention, do you, David?
These tickets were slabbed because Heritage required it.
In general, the highest prices for memorabilia are garnered by the big auction houses.
The big auction houses have the tickets they offer slabbed.
Ergo, slabbed tickets bring the highest prices.

But--and it is a very large but--here is NO DATA which implies that unslabbed tickets would not do just as well at these auctions.

+1 Loosey goose vote

Scott Garner
06-04-2016, 03:52 AM
If I had a dollar for every grammatical and logical error in this post I could afford to get all my tickets slabbed.

:D

Lordstan
06-04-2016, 07:44 AM
I think we have winner for the award for the least sensical and most grammatically incorrect post ever.

This type of post certainly helps to explain all the mistakes PSA makes. If they hire people who can't do something as basic as write the English language correctly, what should we really expect from them in the terms of quality?

I always love it when people keep regurgitating the fantasy that because you don't slab stuff that somehow it will sell for pennies on the dollar. I realize it is incomprehensible to some that an "old" school collector could actually speak to their family before they died about their collection or, God forbid, could have even taken a few minutes to write out some instructions for selling the stuff after they are gone...Nah. What I am thinking? Of course, us old school collectors don't have or don't speak with our families.

Also I was just wondering, does slabbing come with some sort of guarantee that an unscrupulous dealer won't try to rip off my family who tries to sell slabbed items?

Perhaps, those who constantly regale in stories of the sale power of slabbing should just look at the example of this very auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-Chicago-Cubs-v-New-York-Yankees-World-Series-GM-3-Ticket-Ruth-Called-Shot-/291767271995?hash=item43eeaf423b:g:C-kAAOSwbPxXQbRT
They might want to read the description.
Parting with the ticket shown, as shown. The ticket was obtained from the area estate of an avid collector and game attendee who had saved items from the early 1900's forward. Ungraded.

OMG!!! It came out of an estate with no slabbing! Gee, I wonder how it is possible that it sold for $2850 when a board member's comparable slabbed version sold for $400 less, just 2mo earlier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-World-Series-Ticket-Stub-Babe-Ruth-Called-Shot-Game-PSA-Graded-Rare-/121935110579?hash=item1c63e621b3:g:ScsAAOSwyjBW5gT 2

I wonder if the people from the Black Rock find feel like they sold their items for pennies on the dollar? Hmm. They were stored in a old shoebox. It's too bad their condition wasn't preserved. They might have made so much more money if they had been slabbed 20yrs ago. It would've been a great investment.

who have deep pockets

mcgwirecom
06-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Which would you prefer? (The display not the actual tickets) I don't think the PSA slab adds anything to display value. Just my opinion.

Lordstan
06-04-2016, 08:14 AM
Agreed Randall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/Mancave/Cy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/Mancave/2013-05-09172041.jpg

mcgwirecom
06-04-2016, 08:24 AM
OK, I love this one. The first picture is of a raw, ungraded Mickey Mantle debut ticket I sold on Ebay more than 10 years ago. I managed to get a tad over $4000 for it. The second photo is of LeLands auction for the SAME ticket in 2014. Not so much...

ghooper33
06-04-2016, 10:00 AM
As someone who recently began collecting tickets I believe there are benefits other than adding value to the tickets when getting tickets graded. One of my favorite things to do is go into my basement and put the Braves game on and thumb through my collection (this year my cards/tickets are more interesting than the Braves :D). In my opinion it is a must to label the holder with the significance of ticket, and my OCD kicks in when I have some cards in PSA holders and some cards in Card Saver 5s. I would just assume have them all in the same holder. Plus with the registry and digital albums I am able to scan pictures and view my collection at work or when I am out in a nice format.

This being said most of my tickets are under $100, and there is no way I am paying $25 per ticket to get them graded. I do enjoy the benefits I listed above but if I decided to sell my tickets I would never recoup the grading fees. I am not sure why there is such a premium for tickets vs cards but this will prevent me from seriously converting my ticket collection into PSA holders.

Scott Garner
06-04-2016, 10:43 AM
"This being said most of my tickets are under $100, and there is no way I am paying $25 per ticket to get them graded. I do enjoy the benefits I listed above but if I decided to sell my tickets I would never recoup the grading fees. I am not sure why there is such a premium for tickets vs cards but this will prevent me from seriously converting my ticket collection into PSA holders"

Precisely ;)

RichardSimon
06-04-2016, 10:55 AM
I think we have winner for the award for the least sensical and most grammatically incorrect post ever.

This type of post certainly helps to explain all the mistakes PSA makes. If they hire people who can't do something as basic as write the English language correctly, what should we really expect from them in the terms of quality?

I always love it when people keep regurgitating the fantasy that because you don't slab stuff that somehow it will sell for pennies on the dollar. I realize it is incomprehensible to some that an "old" school collector could actually speak to their family before they died about their collection or, God forbid, could have even taken a few minutes to write out some instructions for selling the stuff after they are gone...Nah. What I am thinking? Of course, us old school collectors don't have or don't speak with our families.

Also I was just wondering, does slabbing come with some sort of guarantee that an unscrupulous dealer won't try to rip off my family who tries to sell slabbed items?

Perhaps, those who constantly regale in stories of the sale power of slabbing should just look at the example of this very auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-Chicago-Cubs-v-New-York-Yankees-World-Series-GM-3-Ticket-Ruth-Called-Shot-/291767271995?hash=item43eeaf423b:g:C-kAAOSwbPxXQbRT
They might want to read the description.
Parting with the ticket shown, as shown. The ticket was obtained from the area estate of an avid collector and game attendee who had saved items from the early 1900's forward. Ungraded.

OMG!!! It came out of an estate with no slabbing! Gee, I wonder how it is possible that it sold for $2850 when a board member's comparable slabbed version sold for $400 less, just 2mo earlier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-World-Series-Ticket-Stub-Babe-Ruth-Called-Shot-Game-PSA-Graded-Rare-/121935110579?hash=item1c63e621b3:g:ScsAAOSwyjBW5gT 2

I wonder if the people from the Black Rock find feel like they sold their items for pennies on the dollar? Hmm. They were stored in a old shoebox. It's too bad their condition wasn't preserved. They might have made so much more money if they had been slabbed 20yrs ago. It would've been a great investment.

+++

frankbmd
06-04-2016, 10:59 AM
top highest 1-38 results
were PSA 2 SGC
sure for one RAW ticket that sells for over 10 grand there are two that sell for that Slabbed

Simple question - How many of the 32 PSA slabs were paid for by Heritage?

BradH
06-04-2016, 12:45 PM
...in my opinion you should 10000% get this slabbed by PSA and no other company...

I don’t generally take any advice that is given with only 10,000 % certainty. My closest friends and advisors never give me anything less than 14,000-15,000 % probability, and sometimes my wife will even go as high as 20,000 % on her advice. :rolleyes:

...I give it a 999.9 % of being real...

Until today, I didn't know someone could be more than one hundred percent confident of something being authentic. With that said, nine hundred ninety-nine point nine percent seems pretty amazing, so I'll take your word for it...anything that is 10 times higher than the previously-known maximum is good enough for me.

ajenks3378
06-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Which would you prefer? (The display not the actual tickets) I don't think the PSA slab adds anything to display value. Just my opinion.

The reason the psa one is very weak is the use of season passes and not actual stubs from the games...
True collector needs a stub from the game not just the season pass...
Andy

mcgwirecom
06-04-2016, 08:06 PM
The reason the psa one is very weak is the use of season passes and not actual stubs from the games...
True collector needs a stub from the game not just the season pass...
Andy

I know but I was making the claim that the PSA cases are just plain ugly on a display.

RichardSimon
06-05-2016, 06:39 AM
I know but I was making the claim that the PSA cases are just plain ugly on a display.

How True!!

RichardSimon
06-05-2016, 06:40 AM
I don’t generally take any advice that is given with only 10,000 % certainty. My closest friends and advisors never give me anything less than 14,000-15,000 % probability, and sometimes my wife will even go as high as 20,000 % on her advice. :rolleyes:

Until today, I didn't know someone could be more than one hundred percent confident of something being authentic. With that said, nine hundred ninety-nine point nine percent seems pretty amazing, so I'll take your word for it...anything that is 10 times higher than the previously-known maximum is good enough for me.

When corporate shills post here they tend to hyperbole just a tiny little bit.:rolleyes:

perezfan
06-05-2016, 11:50 AM

Completely agree.

The slab itself is ugly, the wrinkled cellophane is hideous, and the Bar Code has no place in a vintage memorabilia display. By their very nature, bar codes clash with vintage items. I much prefer a simple screw-down holder (which PSA always discourages because of self-serving reasons.).

smotan_02
06-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Terrible picture, but I like how my display came out

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/smotan_02/photo201_zpsxvpoohkt.jpg

I hung it next to this set of early 1900s hand-drawn plays

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/smotan_02/photo205_zpsz9cuhyez.jpg (http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/smotan_02/media/photo205_zpsz9cuhyez.jpg.html)

RichardSimon
06-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Completely agree.

The slab itself is ugly, the wrinkled cellophane is hideous, and the Bar Code has no place in a vintage memorabilia display. By their very nature, bar codes clash with vintage items. I much prefer a simple screw-down holder (which PSA always discourages because of self-serving reasons.).

++++++++

Self serving? PSA? Oh my goodness,,, I learn something new here every single day ;);):D
Thanks so much Mark for informing me.

ajenks3378
06-07-2016, 08:03 AM
Terrible picture, but I like how my display came out

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/smotan_02/photo201_zpsxvpoohkt.jpg

I hung it next to this set of early 1900s hand-drawn plays

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g473/smotan_02/photo205_zpsz9cuhyez.jpg (http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/smotan_02/media/photo205_zpsz9cuhyez.jpg.html)

You know what i dont like...Is that PSA couldnt even bother to take the time to put all your tickets in the holders facing the same direction...
That way the barcode is on the same side on every one...So lazy...
Andy

Exhibitman
06-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Again, not to defend the TPGs but I was very pleased with the care that PSA took in handling this ticket. The ticket was delicate and very tough to find (I've only seen two of them) and they did a good job for their fee. I felt it was a good value and I am very pleased with the result, especially since I can stop worrying about damaging the ticket with my klutz kung fu:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/basketball/websize/1957%20Harlem%20Wizards%20Ticket.jpg

keithsky
06-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Yeah why is it that PSA doesn't put tickets or whatever they slab in the same direction so all the labels are the same way? Makes no sense to just put the item in a slab with no regard to the direction of the label unless the customer asks for it in a certain direction. Say cards all on the right and the rest on left as an example. I have multiple things I wanted to display where the labels were in opposite direction and had to have them reslabbed. I bought the items already slabbed so it wasn't my fault not telling them. Stupid

RichardSimon
06-07-2016, 01:51 PM
If I buy something in a slab,,, here is my solution.

T_Hamilton
06-09-2016, 03:33 PM
All very helpful... seems split 50/50. Quite the polarizing topic. In my view, there is no harm in getting slabbed. And $125 is smart for the investment. The ticket is off to PSA!

Stay tuned!

T_Hamilton
06-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Grade just popped. Pretty pumped... It got a psa 3. Only 8 copies have registered higher. Can't wait to get it back in the mail!!

David Atkatz
06-30-2016, 08:11 PM
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Now it's something it wasn't before.

Leon
06-30-2016, 08:41 PM
Hi David
Per the rules, at the top of every page in bold letters, please put your full name in your posts when giving opinions.Thanks.

BTW, I don't think grading a ticket is a bad thing. Heck if it increases the value more than the grading cost I would say it's a win. I picked this one up already graded. Not a ticket, and shown a few times before, but close enough for this argument....

Hi my name is David
I am an actual PSA consultant when it pertains to Regular Season Yankee Tickets , in my opinion you should 10000% get this slabbed by PSA and no other company please regardless of price savings
to make sure it is authentic , I was watching this ticket on sell on ebay
I personally know two of the bidders you were up against they would know it was real hence their bids , I give it a 999.9 % of being real however as far as condition by the looks of the ticket it has some rounded corners maybe a possible dinged corner, soiled slightly round the edges but I cannot tell if it has any wrinkles or creases based on none of these issues it would come back as a VG 2 maybe a VG 3 but not much higher they grade by the same strict standards as a Baseball card
FYI you have to pay a $100 extra to get it done in ten working days, also the valuation for insurance based in price paid
for $50 it is 45 working days which actually can take longer
bottom line your into it for nearly 3 grand so for a couple of hundred more
its slabbed in tamper evident casing you then can show it to your to whoever with out fear of being damaged or mishandled , what ever you do not put it in a screw down plastic holder , any questions contact me
thanks David

http://luckeycards.com/ppass1903al.jpg

sbfinley
06-30-2016, 11:50 PM
Grade just popped. Pretty pumped... It got a psa 3. Only 8 copies have registered higher. Can't wait to get it back in the mail!!

Congrats, and nice pickup.

megalimey
08-22-2016, 01:40 PM
Hi in my opinion getting PSA authenticated does several positive things
and here are the PROS's
most important, A shows its Genuine to the average Layman with the PSA Label noting the event
B: encapsulated which preserves its current condition ,
C: you can show it to all all your friends with out fear of damage or poor handling
D: it will be eventually sold to some one else unless your planning on living for ever or your family will want to cherish it , its not like you went to the game, so it will get at least a Fair shot of maximum price either on ebay or any other of the major auction houses
these are the PROS !!!!!!!!
here are the con's , sorry cannot think of any maybe the paltry minor cost of about $75 to get it authenticated ,

Lordstan
08-22-2016, 09:58 PM
David,
I am not sure why you felt the need to answer this thread again.
Obviously you like slabbing because you work for PSA and have a vested interest in people continuing to do so. My assumption is that you posted so that it would be the last post in the thread that people would read perhaps without reading all the posts above.
If you read many of the posts above you will see how each of your points has been shown to be without merit.

Let me help summarize...

A: shows its Genuine to the average Layman with the PSA Label noting the event
In significant as the majority of the people buying this type of ticket will know what they are looking for.

B: encapsulated which preserves its current condition ,
So can any $5 holder.

C: you can show it to all all your friends with out fear of damage or poor handling
So can any $5 holder. Plus if someone is idiot enough to let their friends handle a ticket of this magnitude without it being in some holder they are the ones to blame for any damage.

D: it will be eventually sold to some one else unless your planning on living forever or your family will want to cherish it , its not like you went to the game, so it will get at least a Fair shot of maximum price either on ebay or any other of the major auction houses
Considering that research that was done above showed that unslabbed versions of this ticket actually sold for more than slabbed versions, I am not sure how you can actually think it is logical to make the exact opposite conclusion.

here are the con's , sorry cannot think of any maybe the paltry minor cost of about $75 to get it authenticated ,
Perhaps you can't think of any because you work for PSA in their ticket division.

Anyway, for people reading, slab if you wish. It's your money to spend. I don't see the value, as I would rather spend the money, spent on slabs, to buy more stuff. Either way buy what you enjoy.

perezfan
08-23-2016, 08:26 AM
Well said!

I can think of a con.... The slabs are ugly.

T_Hamilton
08-23-2016, 08:39 PM
I started the thread... And I will close it...I got the ticket stub slabbed for peace of mind... It's in a tamper proof case, it got a psa 3 (only 8 graded higher) and it's a great item in my collection! Thanks to all who helped with opinions and thoughts... It's discussions like these that make the community so great!

Now on to the next find:-)

David Atkatz
08-23-2016, 10:10 PM
I started the thread... And I will close it...I got the ticket stub slabbed for peace of mind... It's in a tamper proof case, it got a psa 3 (only 8 graded higher) and it's a great item in my collection! Thanks to all who helped with opinions and thoughts... It's discussions like these that make the community so great!

Now on to the next find:-)You drank the Kool Aide, Taylor. Only eight graded higher? Oooh... I hope you understand that that does not mean there are only eight better. You have no idea how many may exist in better condition. How many are owned by sophisticated collectors who don't need some spotty-faced kid working for PSA to sell them his opinion.

parker1b2
08-24-2016, 10:51 AM
IMHO items encapsulated are very ugly when displayed, and I usually crack them out if I buy somthing encapsulate. I also try not to waste my money to get things authenticated, graded, etc cause I feel it is a waste of money (I don't sell anything so I'm not worried about increasing the value right now). Besides I trust the opinions of the members on this board way, way more the PSA or JSA. I went to a local card show recently and they hyped up that JSA was going to be there authenticating. They had 2 kids maybe no more then 22 years old authenticating items. I have been collecting longer then that.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
08-24-2016, 11:10 AM
fwiw. I get my tickets done by SGC. They don't grade them, just authenticate them. I know they are athentic already, but those cases make any ticket look beautiful and much more presentable. How can you grade a ticket with a clear background? it does not make any sense. nothing stands out. I don't even do it for resell, I do it so everything looks identical and beautifully presentable (OCD)

chaddurbin
08-24-2016, 11:51 AM
c'mon guys. if the OP didn't get it graded, he wouldn't have known there are only 8 copies graded higher. i think that's the important part here.

David Atkatz
08-24-2016, 11:55 AM
c'mon guys. if the OP didn't get it graded, he wouldn't have known there are only 8 copies graded higher. i think that's the important part here.Why is that important? As I said before, that doesn't mean that there are only eight better. It simply means that only eight owners of better tickets--out of all the other better tickets there may be--were needy enough that they had to have their egos stroked by PSA.

T_Hamilton
08-24-2016, 12:00 PM
same thing with cards... why bother to get them graded? a discerning eye can tell the difference.

Yes, I am well aware that there are not 8 better copies... but I also know that the PSA sample size gives me and other collectors a good idea of where the condition ranges on this stub... maybe my stub isnt 9th best, but based on PSA distribution, you can make the case it is probably in the top 20% condition wise of all copies out there, both graded and non graded

perezfan
08-24-2016, 12:04 PM
But who's to say those eight are really even 'better'? It depends largely upon which person graded it, and other random factors.

I honestly couldn't tell whether Quan's comment was serious or sarcastic.

David Atkatz
08-24-2016, 12:47 PM
same thing with cards... why bother to get them graded? a discerning eye can tell the difference.

Yes, I am well aware that there are not 8 better copies... but I also know that the PSA sample size gives me and other collectors a good idea of where the condition ranges on this stub... maybe my stub isnt 9th best, but based on PSA distribution, you can make the case it is probably in the top 20% condition wise of all copies out there, both graded and non gradedNo, you can't. You have no idea how many ungraded stubs exist. Nor are the ones graded a random sample. They represent only insecure owners.

chaddurbin
08-24-2016, 12:47 PM
sorry sarcasm, should've added :). i'm the last to tell anybody how to spend their money, i just found it funny how stuck on "only 8 graded higher" the OP was he needed to remind us in every post. but if the whole experience makes him happy then money well spent.

personally i think the grading game for cards/autographs is great for flipping. many people won't buy a raw card or autograph, and would often pay 3x-5x for the flip. other than that i don't need PSA or SGC to tell me how real or nice my cards/autos are.

jhs5120
08-24-2016, 01:17 PM
They represent only insecure owners.

Or owners who like to protect their investment, owners who aren't experts in ticket authentication, owners who are reasonably skeptical of Internet transactions, owners who are trying to profit off of their purchase or even owners who enjoy collecting graded tickets.

Bestdj777
08-24-2016, 01:30 PM

Yes, I am well aware that there are not 8 better copies... but I also know that the PSA sample size gives me and other collectors a good idea of where the condition ranges on this stub... maybe my stub isnt 9th best, but based on PSA distribution, you can make the case it is probably in the top 20% condition wise of all copies out there, both graded and non graded

I would tend to think that people are more likely to grade the better looking examples and that there would be a disproportionate number of the better looking stubs graded compared with lesser condition examples.

T_Hamilton
08-24-2016, 01:43 PM
I would tend to think that people are more likely to grade the better looking examples and that there would be a disproportionate number of the better looking stubs graded compared with lesser condition examples.

Even better for my graded example!

David Atkatz
08-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Your ticket keeps getting better and better. Without changing at all.

Rookiemonster
08-24-2016, 02:40 PM
How about the fact that getting it graded shows that it has not been altered.
That would be my concern . I would think a raw ticket off eBay could be trimmed , recolored or doctored in some way. I know of o was dropping a few grand it would be nice to know it was unaltered.

Lordstan
08-24-2016, 02:45 PM
Or owners who like to protect their investment, owners who aren't experts in ticket authentication, owners who are reasonably skeptical of Internet transactions, owners who are trying to profit off of their purchase or even owners who enjoy collecting graded tickets.
I don't know why people continue spouting the same old stuff. Despite the fact that the TPAs and their proponents keep saying it, getting a ticket graded DOES NOT protect your investment. As a perfect example. the OP bought this ungraded ticket for more than any graded ticket of the same game has sold in the past few years. So how exactly did grading raise or protect the value of his ticket. If anything, the exact opposite happened. His purchase raised the value of theirs.

I tend to disagree with this as well. I think what is correct is that ones sold through auction houses are more likely to be graded as it is the standard operating procedure of most auction houses to grade/authenticate/slab everything they can to try and eliminate any responsibility they have for anything. Plus by promoting the propaganda about how being authenticated makes thing more valuable, they can inflate bids and make more money. The items haven't changed, but the prices have because someone you know nothing about, hiding behind a large corporation, has given their stamp of approval.

RichardSimon
08-24-2016, 02:49 PM
someone you know nothing about, hiding behind a large corporation, has given their stamp of approval.

For all we know the "someone" is a twelve year old boy who is flipping a coin to help him decide what grade to give.
I have always found it very annoying that they cloak the identities of authenticators behind closed doors and blanket certs. What are they afraid of, daylight is good.

jhs5120
08-24-2016, 03:10 PM
I don't know why people continue spouting the same old stuff. Despite the fact that the TPAs and their proponents keep saying it, getting a ticket graded DOES NOT protect your investment. As a perfect example. the OP bought this ungraded ticket for more than any graded ticket of the same game has sold in the past few years. So how exactly did grading raise or protect the value of his ticket. If anything, the exact opposite happened. His purchase raised the value of theirs.

All the tickets that have been linked to this thread have been graded without a numeric grade. A PSA 2 sold ten days ago for $3,900.

https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/lotdetail.aspx?inventoryid=22794&seo=1932_world_series_game_3_yankees_vs__cubs_tick et_s

So there, PSA protects your investment.

Lordstan
08-24-2016, 03:14 PM
Glad you were able to finally find ONE singular example to prove your point.

RichardSimon
08-24-2016, 03:17 PM
All the tickets that have been linked to this thread have been graded without a numeric grade. A PSA 2 sold ten days ago for $3,900.

https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/lotdetail.aspx?inventoryid=22794&seo=1932_world_series_game_3_yankees_vs__cubs_tick et_s

So there, PSA protects your investment.

Just goes to show that there are still some people out there who drink the Kool Aid without asking questions.

jhs5120
08-24-2016, 03:25 PM
Glad you were able to finally find ONE singular example to prove your point.

Here's the worlds ugliest ticket getting $3,100 because it's a PSA 2:
https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/lotdetail.aspx?inventoryid=10951&seo=1932_world_series_game_3_babe_ruth__called_sho t__g

It has a program with it, but the program isn't worth particularly much.

If you can find a PSA 3 or higher Called Shot ticket go for less than $2,800 you would have some sort of argument I guess. You seem convinced though, so could you send a link?

David Atkatz
08-24-2016, 03:27 PM
It has a program with it, but the program isn't worth particularly much. Oh, really? It's a scored Game 3 program. It's worth quite a bit.

David Atkatz
08-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Here's the worlds ugliest ticket getting $3,100 because it's a PSA 2There's a sucker born every minute.

jhs5120
08-24-2016, 03:29 PM
Just goes to show that there are still some people out there who drink the Kool Aid without asking questions.

Just a hobbiest who knows how the world works and isn't bitter about it.

jhs5120
08-24-2016, 03:33 PM
Oh, really? It's a scored Game 3 program. It's worth quite a bit.

Maybe $500-600. The lot sold for $3,100 so the ticket sold for around $2,500-2,600. Are you saying that this ticket would've sold for more if It weren't graded? It's missing an entire corner and looks burnt. Far nicer raw tickets have gone for less.

Lordstan
08-24-2016, 03:34 PM
There is no reason to continue this discussion with you if you think a scored WS game program from the Called Shot game isn't particularly valuable. If you really think that, then there is nothing else to discuss.
There are many more of that ticket in existence than scored programs from that game. An advanced Ruth or WS collector would likely pay as much, perhaps more, for it than the ticket. The tickets are desirable, but aren't really rare. OTOH, I can't remember ever seeing a scored program from that game. Not being sarcastic, but does anyone know of an example of a scored program from that game being sold previously? IF so, do you know when it was and how much it sold for?

Lordstan
08-24-2016, 03:40 PM
Maybe $500-600. The lot sold for $3,100 so the ticket sold for around $2,500-2,600. Are you saying that this ticket would've sold for more if It weren't graded? It's missing an entire corner and looks burnt. Far nicer raw tickets have gone for less.

Which leads to entire other point about how stupid ticket grading is. If tickets are graded using the same scale as cards, which is what was posted earlier in this thread, how in the world did that one get a 2? What cards do you know of looking burnt and missing corners that would get a 2? Even more of a sham.

stlcardinalsfan
08-24-2016, 03:40 PM
The ticket is worth 2500+ The program is worth aRond $500 ... I've owned 5 or more of both... True only a few were scored... The only other game was game 4 and it was Ruths last w.s. Game that the program could be for if it was unscored.

Lordstan
08-24-2016, 03:43 PM
I find it hard to believe that a scored program from that game is only $500, the same as unscored. Do you have any links to sold ones?

Lordstan
08-24-2016, 03:46 PM
I just realized, the one that just sold in Goldin was also graded a 2. How in the world is it possible that both are 2's? Who graded those and why aren't they being held accountable for this type of nonsense? Is there no quality control?

jhs5120
08-24-2016, 03:46 PM
There is no reason to continue this discussion with you if you think a scored WS game program from the Called Shot game isn't particularly valuable. If you really think that, then there is nothing else to discuss.
There are many more of that ticket in existence than scored programs from that game. An advanced Ruth or WS collector would likely pay as much, perhaps more, for it than the ticket. The tickets are desirable, but aren't really rare. OTOH, I can't remember ever seeing a scored program from that game. Not being sarcastic, but does anyone know of an example of a scored program from that game being sold previously? IF so, do you know when it was and how much it sold for?

Scored programs sell all the time:

$637 (http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetail/78557/Summer-2016-Catalog/Sports/Ruth-and-Gehrig/Lot606~Babe-Ruth-Called-Shot-Program)

$650 (http://jun13.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=57075)

No bid - $200 minimum (http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetail/42284/August-2007-Lelands-Gaynor/Sports/Ernie-Davis/Lot76~1932-World-Series-Babe-Ruth-Called-Shot-Program?page=5)

Here are scored program/ticket combos with BEAUTIFUL tickets that all sold for less than the ugly PSA 2:

$500 Less (http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetail/77777/Winter-2015-Catalog-Auction/Sports/Historic-New-York-Yankee-Baseball-Collection/Lot412~Babe-Ruth-Called-Shot-Ticket-and-Program-(2))

Also $500 Less (https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-collectibles/others/1932-babe-ruth-called-shot-world-series-game-three-program-and-ticket-stub/a/7105-81992.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515)

Lordstan
08-24-2016, 03:57 PM
Ok. I stand corrected on that value.
Still $2500 for the ticket is going rate.

Any response on the lack of quality control to the grading?

Rookiemonster
08-24-2016, 04:20 PM
How about the fact that getting it graded shows that it has not been altered.
That would be my concern . I would think a raw ticket off eBay could be trimmed , recolored or doctored in some way. I know of o was dropping a few grand it would be nice to know it was unaltered.

Valid point I guess that is that .

jhs5120
08-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Ok. I stand corrected on that value.
Still $2500 for the ticket is going rate.

Any response on the lack of quality control to the grading?

Not really. I think they do a better job than most, but make more mistakes than they should. PSA numeric grades carry a premium, why? People can be idiots. Those idiots help fund my hobby, so I'm not going to complain.

Shoeless Moe
08-24-2016, 06:44 PM
Many graded authentic are better then ones graded 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

On their form you have the choice to just get it graded as Authentic.

Some people just want it known that its not a fake, reprint, etc. Thus they say just code it Authentic, and don't care if its a 1 or 5.

So pretty sure many graded Authentic are in much better shape then ones with grades.

You can go on Ebay and see a near perfect ticket and it will say
authentic not have a 1 2 or 7.

There is no uniform grading in tickets, they just have a seat filler doing the job.

And the purpose of the ticket and ticket stub collecting is the event, and the fact that someone with the ticket saw the event. So you could have a perfectly mint stub go for way more for one that had creases, and the perfect one, never saw the inside of the stadium that day. I'll take the creased one that was there.

stlcardinalsfan
08-24-2016, 09:53 PM
You are misinformed or just haven't seen enough tickets to know. The grading is actually pretty consistent by PSA in tickets. What is tough is that they grade the tickets just like the baseball cards. TICKETS ARE RARE... Very few remain in good shape. I always care about the grade if it is a three or higher, that is a beautiful vintage ticket. Newer tickets, I really don't care (meaning I don't value an 8 more than a ten, but very few others do). I have submitted thousands of tickets to PSA. I have also sold thousands ungraded. I am not submitting these tickets because I think they are not real. I am submitting them so they can be sold at auction, displayed with what happens at the game i.e. Historic games are nice to have on the flip. (True tickets graded authentic may have been able to receive a numeric grade but they also may have been trimmed with scissors)

An example of the importance of the flip would be the 1921 World Series. 95% of you reading this are historians but wont know what happened in games 1-5. Two of those games are worth way more than the other games. If they were in a holder even my 12 year old son could figure out which two games are the most valuable.
The poster was correct on slabbing the called shot ticket. Now 100% of the population knows what happened in that game when they look at the ticket instead of less than 20% of the population.

David Atkatz
08-24-2016, 10:07 PM
And the purpose of the ticket and ticket stub collecting is the event, and the fact that someone with the ticket saw the event. So you could have a perfectly mint stub go for way more for one that had creases, and the perfect one, never saw the inside of the stadium that day. I'll take the creased one that was there.Absolutely! I don't understand the fascination with complete tickets that were never anywhere near the event in question. I'll take the torn stub that was in a fan's pocket.

David Atkatz
08-24-2016, 10:11 PM
An example of the importance of the flip would be the 1921 World Series. 95% of you reading this are historians but wont know what happened in games 1-5. Two of those games are worth way more than the other games. If they were in a holder even my 12 year old son could figure out which two games are the most valuable.
The poster was correct on slabbing the called shot ticket. Now 100% of the population knows what happened in that game when they look at the ticket instead of less than 20% of the population.Complete nonsense. If you don't know what happened in Game 3 of the 1932 WS, then you have absolutely no interest in the stub--slabbed or unslabbed. Only a small segment of the population has any interest in that stub--or any vintage baseball artifact--to begin with. And certainly not because PSA put a label on it.

David Atkatz
08-24-2016, 10:13 PM
People can be idiots. Those idiots help fund my hobby, so I'm not going to complain.Gee... You sound like a certain Presidential candidate. (When he thinks no one is listening.)

FourStrikes
08-24-2016, 10:25 PM
Complete nonsense. If you don't know what happened in Game 3 of the 1932 WS, then you have absolutely no interest in the stub--slabbed or unslabbed. Only a small segment of the population has any interest in that stub--or any vintage baseball artifact--to begin with. And certainly not because PSA put a label on it.

precisely, David...

knowledge is power.

JMO

well done.

DS

stlcardinalsfan
08-24-2016, 10:30 PM
Great for you two experts that just commented.. Without googling.. My ideal example is which two games are the most expense tickets of the 1921 World Series games 1-5...

I am not advertising for PSA their turn around time for tickets is terrible and it absolutely doesn't pay to grade a ticket that is less than $100....

FourStrikes
08-24-2016, 11:10 PM
Great for you two experts that just commented.. Without googling.. My ideal example is which two games are the most expense tickets of the 1921 World Series games 1-5...

I am not advertising for PSA their turn around time for tickets is terrible and it absolutely doesn't pay to grade a ticket that is less than $100....

my comment has absolutely NOTHING to do with the time frame - YOUR opinion is fine, and certainly respected! - I'd love to have one of these tickets if the price was right (o/w greatly undervalued or priced - IF I happened to run across one, 'cuz I a cheap MFer)!!! incidentally, I'm certainly no "expert" , and I definitely appreciate your (and others) desire to have tickets, etc. - encapsulated/preserved for aesthetic or future value purposes...apologies IF my reply pi$$ed YOU (stlcardinalsfan) off, but I was actually replying to david's response, of which I wholeheartedly agree - I respect ALL opinions, particularly when a quote such as "slabbed or unslabbed... Only a small segment of the population has any interest in that stub--or any vintage baseball artifact--to begin with. And certainly not because PSA put a label on it..." is attributed to a knowledgable/well-meaning member - and it's MY belief - based on what I've seen if I recall correctly - YOU are one as well...again, JMO although - perhaps in MY case at least: opinions are like a$$holes.

NO hard feelings, stlcardinalsfan and anybody else - who MAY be pi$$ed off with my replies - happy collecting!

xo
ME

stlcardinalsfan
08-25-2016, 07:14 AM
You didn't really make me mad. I just want to make sure that people know that Psa is good for stating the event of the game. For example 1937 gam4 is Gehrig last World Series homerun, 1937 game five is the Yankees clincher, 1956 game five is a Larsen perfect game, 1956 game seven is a Yankee clincher as well as Jackie Robinson's last game, 1951 game one World Series ticket is Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle's world series debut 1951 game 2 Mickey Mantle slips on a drain and hurt his knee 1951 game six is a Yankees clincher 1952 game one Jackie Robinson hit a homerun 1952 game six was mantles World Series first homerun 1952 game seven is mantles second career homerun and a clincher. It took me 30 seconds to type this and I know what happened in the games but the majority of people even if they are baseball fans have no idea. When people look at these tickets (not slabbed) they just look at the face value and think it's cool. many dealers and casual baseball fans since they aren't dealing with tickets every day make these mistakes commonly. I can give example for a ticket collector picked up a 1952 game seven Mickey Mantle second World Series homerun it's probably worth close to 750-$1000 for $100 because the gentleman had it marked "52 World Series Dodgers ticket"... That was bought at this years national... That is why I advocate for holdering/ grading your expensive stubs.... Yours truly Jamie Burzynski
By the way the ugly called shot ticket that was ripped at the top that got a Psa 2 with the program was given that grade because Psa deemed that rip as a poor ushers tear...if the gentleman did get a 3 on his called shot, that again was graded fairly... I say that because if I recall the ticket when I was looking at it initially (thinking about bidding on it) I thought it would grade a 3.... Here is a good nugget for those of you that care... If you can see any kind of crease on your ticket no matter the age (even 1920s) that ticket shouldn't get over a 4.

jhs5120
08-25-2016, 07:15 AM
Gee... You sound like a certain Presidential candidate. (When he thinks no one is listening.)

I'm one of those idiots too. I own graded cards. Everyone in this forum either collects cardboard, old paper or pen scribbles made by dead men. There is very little room (if any) for an intellectual high ground.

Members were making a claim that plastic covered cardboard is less valuable than plastic-free cardboard. I provided evidence to the contrary. The general public prefers their cardboard covered in plastic. Why? Who cares.

Leon
08-25-2016, 07:34 AM
My personal opinion is I think giving a ticket a grade doesn't accomplish anything. It's a ticket. It's a 2 or a 3, really? Why not a 4?
If you want to encase it, go ahead. But grading it, Who the heck cares as long as it looks good? That all said, if when going to sell it, I can get more than my grading fee back by doing it, then I would do it. It just makes cents. :)

stlcardinalsfan
08-25-2016, 08:28 AM
I agree completely Leon!!!

Scott Garner
08-25-2016, 08:45 AM
My personal opinion is I think giving a ticket a grade doesn't accomplish anything. It's a ticket. It's a 2 or a 3, really? Why not a 4?
If you want to encase it, go ahead. But grading it, Who the heck cares as long as it looks good? That all said, if when going to sell it, I can get more than my grading fee back by doing it, then I would do it. It just makes cents. :)

Or sense... ;)

Shoeless Moe
08-25-2016, 12:32 PM
The grading is actually pretty consistent by PSA in tickets.

By consistent, you obviously mean consistently wrong....calling Game 5 of the 1919 WS, Game 3, thus getting it wrong for your 12 year old son who only goes by the flip.

For those who don't know pretty much prior to 1920 (I could be off by a couple years) some home teams in the WS would just label their ticket 1,2,3,4 for home games, not the game number of the Series. So the 3 on the Sox Ticket was for home game # 3 of the Series for them, not the 3rd overall game. Thus 1st 2 being played in Cincy, made Game 3, White Sox home game # 1. So home game # 3 was actually Game 5 of the Series.

You are misinformed or just haven't seen enough tickets to know.
But I just have not seen enough tickets to know.......PSA are the experts : )

Shoeless Moe
08-25-2016, 12:32 PM
...hey 1 out 3 ain't bad. PSA batting .333 - Now how would you like your son to bring home a 33% on a test.

Shoeless Moe
08-25-2016, 12:56 PM
also riddle me this genius of the lamp.....take a look at that 1st 1919 ticket they got wrong, and it's graded "Authentic", but that sure looks like a 2 to me, I mean a 4, no wait a 3.....could be 5, no it's a 2..................or is it a 3?

Your telling me this one is Authentic while the one below it with paper loss is a 3??????? and that brutal 1932 one is a 2...oh yah they are consistent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW5m8uxnKxc

ka ka......ka boom!!!!!!

stlcardinalsfan
08-25-2016, 01:35 PM
Your picking one game out of thousands of games that PSA has graded. Yes that ticket was mislabeled and actually I believe went through a large auction house and they didn't catch it....A ticket that was the clincher for this series with another from Cincinnati brought 16000 for the pair because I and a couple of individuals absolutely knew that PSA made a mistake. Do you think it would be more likely mislabeled by PSA or another baseball specialist selling it as raw. Apparently the owner of the ticket didn't know it was game 5 either or they would have had PSA correct the slab. You haven't done anything to enlighten/ educate the readers to why you correctly were able to label the ticket as a game 5. It is a game 5 ticket because the World Series prior to 1919 had the home game on the ticket not the correct World Series game (so that whitesox ticket was valid for home game 3 which was game 5 of the series.).
PSA STATING WHAT WAS IMPORTANT TO THAT GAME (THE FLIP) HELPS SELL, DISPLAY, & EDUCATE THE POPULATION and has advanced the price and popularity of tickets.

If you handed a stack of (4) 1960 Boston tickets to board members with various dates and 1 dated 9/28/1960 and said what are these worth. They wouldn't get up to the price of the one ticket September 28, 1960 that you sold holdered for $500 (which was a very fair price) I wish I would have bought it, because they wouldn't have know the significance of the 9/28/1960'game.

I am collecting all 4 Koufax no hitters/ perfect game tickets (please email me if you have one to sell). I couldn't pick any of them out of a stack of Dodgers tickets. I can't even tell you what years he completed the task, but if someone holdered that ticket with a PSA label I would immediately spot it in their showcase... IN A PSA HOLDER...MANY KOUFAX FANS, TICKET COLLECTORS,MEMORABILIA COLLECTORS, CARD COLLECTORS ARE NOW SECURE THAT IS THE GAME THAT KOUFAX THREW A No HITTER AND THAT TICKET IS ORIGINAL.

Shoeless Moe
08-25-2016, 01:45 PM

stlcardinalsfan
08-25-2016, 02:17 PM
:confused: was your ticket from 1961 or 1960. The PSA slab says 1960 but you say 1961. People make mistakes (even REA) Your mistake wasn't a big deal and most didn't notice it and your ticket still sold (GLAD PSA DIDN'T HAVE A TYPO) You have intelligently stated why you dislike PSA . Some tickets I send to PSA and some I don't. I get frustrated by them, but I am glad they are in business. I can choose to use them or not. They are going to make mistakes, but they do try to correct them. Their turn around time is too slow but I still appreciate their business. For the record I too don't care if a ticket is a two or three as long as it looks nice. If it is graded a four or better. I KNOW ITS NICE

For Sale

Rare ticket stub from Ted Williams' final game on September 28, 1961, at Fenway Park. Ted Williams' final game took many people by surprise. While everyone knew that the 1960 season was to be his last, everyone assumed he would close out his career during the club's final three-game series at Yankee Stadium. Instead, Williams received permission from the club to skip the final road trip, meaning his final game would take place against the Baltimore Orioles at Fenway Park on September 28th. With no official announcement made regarding Williams' decision, it's no wonder that only about 10,000 showed up to witness history that day. Williams' final at bat took came in the eighth inning and even Hollywood could not have come up with a better ending. Years later Curt Gowdy, longtime broadcaster for the Red Sox who called the game that day, recounted the drama of "Teddy Ballgame's" goodbye: "His last time up, there were maybe 10,000 people at Fenway. It was a cold, gray day. He ran the count to 2-and-2. Jack Fisher threw him a letter-high fastball and Ted hit it high and far and it landed in the right-field grandstand. He rounded the bases with his head down as he always did, crossed the plate and ran into the dugout. The fans were screaming for him to take a bow, but he never did so. When Carroll Hardy replaced Williams in left field in the top of the ninth inning, one of the greatest chapters in baseball history came to an official close. This rare ticket commemorates that memorable finale and is one of only a few to surface.

Only 7 graded by PSA!!!!

Ungraded REA sold for $1659 in 2012

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2012/1094.html

$500 shipped

Shoeless Moe
08-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Mine was a typo in a thread. They are paid to get it right, and it's on the product they provide, BIG difference. On the product I sold everything was correct. They have a history of making errors on the service they provide.

And you still have failed to address the Authentic 1919 ticket vs the PSA 3 ticket. Crack the Authentic one out of its slab and put it in the same auction as the one marked PSA 3, which gets the better price?

stlcardinalsfan
08-25-2016, 04:31 PM
The one that you cracked out of the holder as long as the auction house will take the ticket (outside of the PSA holder). Some auction houses won't take a high priced ticket without PSA or SGC authentication. Many times if my ticket is going to score a 1 or a 2 I do click the Box for authentic only. I would rather have an authentic ticket instead of a 1. I do believe that some people not real familiar with tickets might not bid on the high priced 1919 world series ticket because they are afraid it is a reproduction.

Shoeless Moe
08-25-2016, 07:35 PM
There's no need for the PSA holder with it. I'm talking just the 2 tickets at a major auction house, one , the authentic one shown all by its lonesome self vs the PSA 3 shown as well, which does better?

and here are examples of tickets without holders doing just fine:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2008/1209.html

https://sports.ha.com/itm/boxing/1910-jeffries-vs-johnson-full-ticket/a/714-81789.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Shoeless Moe
08-25-2016, 07:36 PM
oh wait sorry just re-read your post so you did say the one without the holder. Thanks, that's all I needed to know.

1952boyntoncollector
09-06-2016, 09:42 AM
But who's to say those eight are really even 'better'? It depends largely upon which person graded it, and other random factors.

I honestly couldn't tell whether Quan's comment was serious or sarcastic.

yeah hes sarcastic a lot but i blocked him so i dont need a rosetta stone to make any future determinations. Your forum experience will also increase multi-fold.