PDA

View Full Version : Authentic grades and how you think about them

MCoxon
05-28-2016, 01:20 PM
I wonder how you view authentic graded cards, with no numerical grade. I'm specifically considering Bazookas from the 1960s, hence the question.

My sense is that some A grades are worse than others, possibly indicating some difficulty determining whether there has been an alteration (though these may be designated Authentic - Altered).

But some cards get an A due to hand cuts that don't conform to "established" procedure, like cutting slightly inside the dotted lines on, say, a Bazooka or 1969 Nabisco. This seems to me far less "negative" then, say, a mid-60s Topps issue being designated Authentic.

How seriously does an Authentic grade diminish what you think about a card? In terms of:
- it's "eye appeal"
- it's collectibility / desirability
- it's value

On value, what does an Authentic get:
- 50% of "Beckett High?"
- 25% of SMR for a PSA 5? 10% of a PSA 5?

I assume it also varies. A 1959 Bazooka or a 1959 Home Run Derby or a Hires with Tab, probably commands some value even when Authentic graded, due to scarcity; whereas an Authentic Hostess panel, where PSA 8s abound, probably gets less love.

Thanks, mike

Bestdj777
05-28-2016, 03:58 PM
I love authentic cards as it is often an opportunity to get a beautiful looking specimen at a much more affordable price than a comparable number grade. Value is tough to say. For the Mantles I collect, the pretty specimens usually bring a bit more than a 1. How much more varies depending on the quality of the card.

pokerplyr80
05-28-2016, 04:27 PM
I would be open on a nice looking card like that cj jackson in the locked BST thread. Values are tricky and depend on the card bit normally I'd say within the graded 1-2 range depending on eye appeal.