PDA

View Full Version : Where Was This Picture Taken?

leftygrove10
05-27-2016, 08:43 AM
The picture below shows Lefty Grove chatting with fans before a baseball game. It looks like he has a pen in his left hand, so I am guessing that he was signing autographs. The picture was taken by a fan and later autographed by Lefty. (I am not here to debate the authenticity of the autograph. I bought the picture because it was unique and don't really care too much about the autograph.)

Based on the patch on the left sleeve of Lefty's jersey and the decorations around the stadium, I believe that the picture was likely taken in 1939. I initially assumed that the picture was taken at Fenway Park, but after finding some photos of Fenway Park from that time period I do not believe that is the case. Do any of you recognize the stadium, the advertisements or the buildings that might help me identify where this picture was taken?

(Aren't you guys glad that we don't have to wear suits to baseball games today????)

Thanks in advance!

Hot Springs Bathers
05-27-2016, 09:00 AM
All-Star game at Yankee Stadium

LuckyLarry
05-27-2016, 09:04 AM
July 11 1939

daves_resale_shop
05-27-2016, 09:24 AM
Great pic, and for what it's worth the signature is good

daves_resale_shop
05-27-2016, 09:25 AM
Great pic, and for what it's worth the signature is good

Kawika
05-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Hi Brad - Long time no see.

Attached is a photo of part of an outfield billboard panorama for Yankee Stadium in 1939.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/sportscardsetc/baseball/holygrailcards/large/YS2.jpg

leftygrove10
05-27-2016, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys! That makes the picture extra special, then. It looks like Lefty did not actually pitch in that all-star game, but he did get to watch Bob Feller pitch for an inning or two. That must have been something to see!

leftygrove10
05-27-2016, 02:42 PM
Hi Brad - Long time no see.

It has been a few years, hasn't it? I last saw you at the convention in Baltimore. Hopefully the convention makes its way back to Baltimore soon. Can you believe that it has been eight years since we had dinner together in Waikiki????? I will never forget that!

I hope that Canada is treating you well! I hope to see you again sometime soon.