PDA

View Full Version : Question for the experts

Saco River Auction
05-25-2016, 01:55 PM
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some antique photography experts. I found this antique cabinet photo of the 1888 Chicago White Stockings in a house in Naples Maine. It is clearly in a period frame and didn't look like it had ever been out until we removed it for viewing. I have only ever seen this pose in a cabinet 4x6 (or so size). This one is 10x12. Looking for anyone with any info on this. I know many of you could write the book on 19th century sports photography and any help would be greatly appreciated. Below are the scans.

drcy
05-25-2016, 02:51 PM
It looks old due to the toning. If it's from the 1800s it has to have the photographic print on thin photo paper attached to carboard (or other thick stock) backing. It is just one sheet of paper, it's not a photo from the 1800s. Though without a closer look, it could be a ink and printing press print too-- which could be on a single sheet if from the 1800s.

Leon
05-26-2016, 05:21 PM
By no means am I an expert but have handled quite a few 1880s baseball photos and cabinets. The toning does look good but it's so hard to tell from a picture as to somethings authenticity. I know I have been fooled more than once. If real, I would think it is valuable, just not sure how much. Good luck...