PDA

View Full Version : New collector here...

scdoc69
05-24-2016, 12:19 PM
Hi, I'm Scott from Southern California. I'm new to this forum but I've been on Blowout cards for a couple of years now. I'm here to start my vintage collection and I'm opened to any advice from the vet collectors here. I'm currently looking for 51B, 52B and 53T Mantles. Please drop a few lines with advice and I thank you for taking the time reading my message. Have a good day guys.

irv
05-24-2016, 12:45 PM
Hi, I'm Scott from Southern California. I'm new to this forum but I've been on Blowout cards for a couple of years now. I'm here to start my vintage collection and I'm opened to any advice from the vet collectors here. I'm currently looking for 51B, 52B and 53T Mantles. Please drop a few lines with advice and I thank you for taking the time reading my message. Have a good day guys.

Welcome, Scott.

I just joined this site back in January so I can't likely offer any more advice than what you already know, but this is a great place to read, ask questions and search some old posts.

I've checked out some other sites, even joined a couple, but this is, by far, the site I enjoy and frequent the most.

Enjoy. :)

Snapolit1
05-24-2016, 01:55 PM
Best piece of advice someone gave me is figure out what you like and collect that. Can't collect everything out there. Some things will fall in that sweet spot and go for those. You are certainly looking at some pricey cards. Mantles have gone crazy I'm sure you know.

savedfrommyspokes
05-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Welcome to the forum......especially with the 3 cards you mention that you are seeking, do your home work on the copy you are considering and if possible, consider paying a slight premium to buy from a reputable seller.

Neal
05-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Welcome!

This is a solid forum, and a great place to do two things card related:

1) get information
2) have hobby fun

Good luck with the Micks - they are getting harder to find, and not just those three

clydepepper
05-24-2016, 10:04 PM
Hello Scott & Welcome.

Since I certainly wouldn't consider myself an expert (there are a lot of legitimate experts on this forum), I can only offer my own tastes when it comes to Mantle cards.

Check as many sources as possible to get an idea of the current market for any individual card and if it is in your financial 'wheelhouse', and the seller has a good track record, go for it.

The '51 Bowman has remained out of my reach thus far, as I prefer at least a mid-grade of PSA-5 for my collection.

I was able to pick up the other two you mentioned a few years ago for a price I could handle.

Lots of folks will grab even a 'beater' just to get on board, but that's not me. My Mantle cards are all for my permanent collection (however long that will be), and I only change them out when I see an upgrade I can afford.

Again, this is just my habits ; you should make your own...and good luck to you!

- and again welcome to an invaluable source and collection of hobby knowledge.

You'll need to search threads in the Postwar area of the site to get more pertinent information on Mantles.

-Raymond

Harliduck
05-24-2016, 11:00 PM
Welcome!

Been here a while off and on and can tell you I've learned A LOT. One bit of advice that was given to me that paid off was using the Search function. I had tons of questions and needed some info and learned here that if it's happened in the hobby, it's been talked about ad naseum here. This site has enhanced my love of the hobby for sure...and has me better educated to boot...

scdoc69
05-25-2016, 01:25 AM
Thank you all so much for your kind words and advice. I can already feel at ease here in this forum. Thanks again.
Scott.

the 'stache
05-25-2016, 01:31 AM
Welcome to the forum, Scott. Lots of great information here, and some really good people, too.

The B/S/T is a great place to start if you're looking to expand your collection to include those Micks.

Have fun, and if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

egri
05-25-2016, 06:09 AM
Welcome to the forum Scott (and nice name, BTW). I second what everyone else has said about the members here; they are really knowledgeable and willing to help. They've given me a lot of help with my project, and general collecting knowledge.