PDA

View Full Version : Ebay buyer protection question

T_Hamilton
05-24-2016, 09:15 AM
Hey guys -

Looking to pick up a card for my collection on eBay. It is not graded but a thorough review of the scans make me believe it is authentic. I am not concerned about grade but purely the authenticity of it. Once I receive the card, if I send it to PSA and it comes back as "unauthentic" what recoruse do I have to get my money back? Is it worth the gamble? this card only comes up once or twice a year.

thank you,

Taylor

Jobu
05-24-2016, 11:57 AM
It depends on what the listing says - is it listed as a reprint or does it clearly state that it is authentic (both in the description and the listing details)? Do they have a return policy? You can also ask the seller specific questions - Ebay can see your questions and the seller's answers if there is a dispute later.

glchen
05-24-2016, 12:04 PM
Right, as Bryan said, the ebay listing must list the card as original to the time period. If it states the card is a reprint or "unknown," then you would not be protected by ebay.

T_Hamilton
05-24-2016, 01:09 PM
It doesnt list the card as an original/authentic, nor does it list the card as a reprint. Additionally, the buyer has strong feedback and a 30 day money back return policy. Assume that allows enough time for me to get the card, sent it to PSA and then hear back?

Jobu
05-24-2016, 01:13 PM
The 30-day money back will be plenty of time provided that you submit it with a relatively fast turn around time (ie a monthly special almost certainly won't be enough time). Feel free to PM the link to me and I will let you know what I think (I promise not to buy it!).

Huck
05-24-2016, 01:22 PM
It doesnt list the card as an original/authentic, nor does it list the card as a reprint. Additionally, the buyer has strong feedback and a 30 day money back return policy. Assume that allows enough time for me to get the card, sent it to PSA and then hear back?

Ask the seller if the card is authentic and keep the correspondence. I see a potential problem in the seller claiming a different card was sent to PSA so the card would have to some identifying mark.

Leon
05-26-2016, 07:50 PM
Ask the seller if the card is authentic and keep the correspondence. I see a potential problem in the seller claiming a different card was sent to PSA so the card would have to some identifying mark.

Agree...CYA if you can.....

jfkheat
05-26-2016, 09:51 PM
The seller's return policy means nothing if the cards turns out to be fake and you have to file an Ebay not as described claim. Even if the time runs out with Ebay you can file a claim through Paypal for up to 180 days after the listing ended.
James

the 'stache
05-26-2016, 10:12 PM
As has already been stated here, document everything. I would have the seller take another picture/scan of the card with his Ebay id clearly visible (if they haven't already). Keep that, and note anything that makes the card uniquely identifiable. Keep any correspondence you have with the seller. Don't let them beat around the bush. Be firm, but polite, and tell them you need to know, definitively, that the card is being sold as an original.

It saddens me greatly that we have to take such precautions in our hobby, but it's always best to be proactive. You almost have to approach it from the mindset of "am I doing everything necessary to ensure that I could win a dispute, and get my money back?" You're thinking critically, Taylor, and that's great. A healthy amount of skepticism is a necessity, and any legitimate seller who is dealing with you ethically will appreciate, and understand, what you're doing. I've only sold cards a few times, granted, but whenever I'm dealing with a buyer, I will do whatever is necessary to assuage any concerns they might have. Reputation is everything in our hobby, and you're not only protecting yourself, but you're also creating an expectation with these sellers that you're a fair, but discerning customer. That kind of reputation gets around, and will only benefit you in the future.

Good luck with your potential buy, and should you get this card in, I'd love to see it!

Bill

pokerplyr80
05-26-2016, 11:27 PM
All great advice so far. Ask him to guarantee in an ebay email that the card is authentic and unaltered, and can be returned if PSA says otherwise. Also, pay through Paypal with an American Express. That way even if you some how lose an Ebay and Paypal dispute you can still get your money back.

ValKehl
05-27-2016, 09:22 PM
I usually ask the seller to guarantee that the card will receive a numerical grade from either PSA or SGC, unless the card is obviously altered.
Val

T_Hamilton
05-29-2016, 10:33 PM
Well ... I won the auction... 1932 World Series Game 3 ticket stub. From the game that Ruth called his shot

Not a card but wanted to show you guys as you have been so helpful. Thoughts now?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1544578#post1544578