PDA

View Full Version : Something I hate about ballcard collecting

Brianruns10
05-20-2016, 06:15 PM
So this past Monday I was bidding on a '52 Ramazotti gray back. The PSA card wasn't labeled as a grayback but it was obvious it was one. A PSA 5 broke 1K, and so I bid accordingly, putting in a final bid of $1500. I got outbid and it sold for $1600. Fair enough.

FOUR days later, the card turns up on ebay again, being sold by the new owner for $5500! It's barely been out of the mailer, and he/she is flipping it for an absurd markup.

I don't begrudge someone making a profit from baseball cards. It's one reason this hobby is so fun, to speculate and buy wisely and hope the value goes up. But to take a card you've owned less than a week and to just try and flip it for a 300% markup? I hate sellers like this. There is no love of the card, no appreciation. Just a desire for profit. And meanwhile, I or someone else who would've treasured this card and savored having it as part of the set, is deprived of the chance thanks to one persons avarice.

I hope whoever is selling that card is reading this. If so, shame on you.

mrmopar
05-20-2016, 07:15 PM
You never know how any single item will sell on a given day. It requires that "perfect storm" or the right bidders and the right time to maximize the return. To think no bidders were willing to go past $1600 on one day and a week later, someone will go $5500…not likely, but it could happen.

It will probably sit unsold for a while and either disappear eventually or slowly drop in price.

Republicaninmass
05-20-2016, 07:29 PM
Not having gray back in the title hurt the price no doubt. With a PSA 5 selling last week for 2500, he is probably dreaming at 5500, but still could make a good profit if he knows the right buyer(s).

RollieFingers
05-20-2016, 10:08 PM
ballcard? :D thats a new one for me

Leon
05-21-2016, 06:24 AM
So this past Monday I was bidding on a '52 Ramazotti gray back. The PSA card wasn't labeled as a grayback but it was obvious it was one. A PSA 5 broke 1K, and so I bid accordingly, putting in a final bid of $1500. I got outbid and it sold for $1600. Fair enough.

FOUR days later, the card turns up on ebay again, being sold by the new owner for $5500! It's barely been out of the mailer, and he/she is flipping it for an absurd markup.

I don't begrudge someone making a profit from baseball cards. It's one reason this hobby is so fun, to speculate and buy wisely and hope the value goes up. But to take a card you've owned less than a week and to just try and flip it for a 300% markup? I hate sellers like this. There is no love of the card, no appreciation. Just a desire for profit. And meanwhile, I or someone else who would've treasured this card and savored having it as part of the set, is deprived of the chance thanks to one persons avarice.

I hope whoever is selling that card is reading this. If so, shame on you.

It is only a part of the hobby. I don't begrudge anyone from asking what they want to for something they own. The exponential profit quick-flip has happened to all of us when we wanted something we didn't get. That is why when I really want something I sometimes bid way too much instead of thinking about what it will take to win it. I go a few times that. it almost always works until the time you need to sell it. :eek:

glynparson
05-22-2016, 03:35 AM
Do not tell me i do not love baseball cards. You do not know how others feel about things. Why do you get to decide what is appropriate. Maybe you should have bid higher for the card instead of losing out on it then coming hear and complaining. You had more info than the flip gave you so you had the opportunity to go strong. So tired of people whining and complaining about people making money. People have been making nice livings selling cards for decades now. Because you may choose to not go after much profit does not mean others shouldn't. Heck i have made that much in the past by buying a card and selling it as i was walking back to my table. What a person pays for an incorrectly labeled and/or priced item is irrelevant in my honest opinion. For the record i did not buy the gray back nor did i see it but i would have no problem paying 1600 for something and marking it 5500 just days later. A seller is not required to sell something cheaper because he got a good deal on it. I think you thinking you were entitled to the card for less than retail, because you would "cherish it" is far more annoying then someone trying to make a big score.

Neal
05-22-2016, 07:47 AM
Part of the fun of the hobby is reading posts like this one ....

I agree with Glynn, btw. All of it.

Exhibitman
05-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Gynn, Neal:

Ditto. The flip is sometimes the most rewarding part of the game. I love picking a card from a commons pile or junk box or eBay sale knowing it has a value far in excess of what I paid for it. If I know what it is I have to assume someone else does too and if I miss it because I underbid, that's my problem. It isn't like the seller cancelled the sale because he wanted more money.

Republicaninmass
05-22-2016, 12:16 PM
It isn't like the seller cancelled the sale because he wanted more money"

Or a 'pricing error'!

If it wasn't for the flips and trades in the hobby, I wouldn't have 50% of the cards I have today.

flkersn
05-22-2016, 01:42 PM
Do not tell me i do not love baseball cards. You do not know how others feel about things. Why do you get to decide what is appropriate. Maybe you should have bid higher for the card instead of losing out on it then coming hear and complaining. You had more info than the flip gave you so you had the opportunity to go strong. So tired of people whining and complaining about people making money. People have been making nice livings selling cards for decades now. Because you may choose to not go after much profit does not mean others shouldn't. Heck i have made that much in the past by buying a card and selling it as i was walking back to my table. What a person pays for an incorrectly labeled and/or priced item is irrelevant in my honest opinion. For the record i did not buy the gray back nor did i see it but i would have no problem paying 1600 for something and marking it 5500 just days later. A seller is not required to sell something cheaper because he got a good deal on it. I think you thinking you were entitled to the card for less than retail, because you would "cherish it" is far more annoying then someone trying to make a big score.

I agree, in general, with your comments. But please don't confuse "market price" with "asking price". The former is $1600, the latter is currently $5500. As you know there are several examples of gray backs currently on EBay with high asking prices--the market price is yet to be determined.

1952boyntoncollector
05-22-2016, 01:47 PM
I agree, in general, with your comments. But please don't confuse "market price" with "asking price". The former is $1600, the latter is currently $5500. As you know there are several examples of gray backs currently on EBay with high asking prices--the market price is yet to be determined.

also whoever buys the card loves the hobby most likely...

DBesse27
05-22-2016, 02:50 PM
also whoever buys the card loves the hobby most likely...

Who cares?

OlderTheBetter
05-22-2016, 04:27 PM
Who cares?
Exactly. Collecting cards and buying/selling cards don't have to intersect.

1952boyntoncollector
05-22-2016, 06:17 PM
Exactly. Collecting cards and buying/selling cards don't have to intersect.

i agree....just saying that to people who may be upset about the flip can take solace that the new buyer is good for the hobby

if everyone is just into flipping..it actually could be a problem ie. See real esate market in 2008ish

Republicaninmass
05-22-2016, 07:35 PM
i agree....just saying that to people who may be upset about the flip can take solace that the new buyer is good for the hobby

if everyone is just into flipping..it actually could be a problem ie. See real esate market in 2008ish

You are not saying that when your neighbor is telling you how easy it is to flip (houses) you should be nervous?

RollieFingers
05-22-2016, 09:10 PM
It's ok to make as much as you want.

But if they are willing to go that extreme, they probably can't be trusted on smaller transactions or trading or what ever?

OlderTheBetter
05-23-2016, 07:27 AM
It's ok to make as much as you want.

Of course it is. I'll go so far as to say that this is the major thing that that keeps the hobby healthy. It's certainly not younger collectors. Without the influx of new investors and buyers/sellers since the Internet, this hobby would probably be in recession mode like antiquarian books, stamps and coins.

How many of us would ignore the opportunity to flip a $1600 card for $3000? Certainly not me. I wouldn't have most of my current collection without flipping.

zachtruitt
05-23-2016, 08:01 AM
There is no such thing as a "true collector" and if you think you are one of those special little snowflakes then find something else to be self-righteous about.

OlderTheBetter
05-23-2016, 01:51 PM
There certainly are "true collectors". They are either so wealthy that money is no object, or they're under the age of 15.

irv
05-23-2016, 01:58 PM
Gynn, Neal:

Ditto. The flip is sometimes the most rewarding part of the game. I love picking a card from a commons pile or junk box or eBay sale knowing it has a value far in excess of what I paid for it. If I know what it is I have to assume someone else does too and if I miss it because I underbid, that's my problem. It isn't like the seller cancelled the sale because he wanted more money.

Picked up this little lot for $20 from a local card shop.

He deals strictly in hockey cards but took these in on trade so I didn't feel the least bit guilty purchasing them from him. He started at $40 and we ended up at $20.

Not that I'd make out large on the lot or remotely close to it but I know I got them pretty cheap when comparing them to market value.

TheNightmanCometh
05-23-2016, 03:24 PM
This doesn't really apply here as my story is about a modern card. A few years ago I was able to snag a 2013 Topps Heritage gold card, 1 of 5, of Felix Hernandez for less than $100. At the time, gold cards of top shelf players were selling around $300. I tried selling it for around that price and it sat for months and months; eventually I sold it to a nice lady, on eBay, for a little more than I paid for it. Found out today that she sent it to PSA, got it graded, came back as a GM 10, and she sold it for $250. I stumbled upon it looking for another card, but I sent her a message congratulating her on the flip.

Of course I proceeded to kick myself for the next 10 minutes for not sending it to PSA myself. So dumb!!!

ALR-bishop
05-23-2016, 03:37 PM
There is no such thing as a "true collector" and if you think you are one of those special little snowflakes then find something else to be self-righteous about.

This must be very profound.... in some way or another

Jeff1970Red
05-23-2016, 04:10 PM
I experienced the frustration of losing out on a much wanted pair of Topps Heritage Venezuelan Trout's. I rode the bull of anger for a full 8 seconds before focusing my attention and cash elsewhere.

These cards are amazing...best to the buyer/seller.

zachtruitt
05-23-2016, 04:23 PM
I wasn't trying to be profound, I just think there are many ways to be involved in the hobby and no one is a better "collector" than anyone else. I don't think it's something that should be qualified with labels, that's all.

Everyone has their own reasons for being in the hobby and, at the end of the day, no one is keeping score.

sbfinley
05-23-2016, 05:41 PM
I sold this card to this same seller last calendar year for $75. Do I win?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-PLAYOFF-CONTENDERS-PEYTON-MANNING-PSA-DNA-AUTOGRAPH-RARE-SAMPLE-CARD-/272243829509?hash=item3f62ff2b05:g:ZiAAAOSwB4NWu6R g

irv
05-23-2016, 06:25 PM
I sold this card to this same seller last calendar year for $75. Do I win?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-PLAYOFF-CONTENDERS-PEYTON-MANNING-PSA-DNA-AUTOGRAPH-RARE-SAMPLE-CARD-/272243829509?hash=item3f62ff2b05:g:ZiAAAOSwB4NWu6R g

Will it sell for near what he is asking or is he on something?

sbfinley
05-23-2016, 06:49 PM
Will it sell for near what he is asking or is he on something?

I would say "a snowball's chance in hell" but idiots are rampant these days. Realistically, it is a $75-$100 auto.

irv
05-23-2016, 06:54 PM
I would say "a snowball's chance in hell" but idiots are rampant these days. Realistically, it is a $75-$100 auto.

Kind of what I was thinking, but wasn't sure? :)

Beastmode
05-24-2016, 10:09 PM
Kind of what I was thinking, but wasn't sure? :)

The best advice is clear BIN's off your searches. They are a waste of time. 99% of them are trollers looking for brainless buyers with a lot of money (or registry builders waiting to be taken to the cleaners). Keeps your sanity and stick with .99 auctions where you will be shilled to death.

There's a '71 PSA 9 Ryan for sale at $2k more than it sold for 5 weeks ago. Trolling is not illegal; been happening since the stone age.

Do not under estimate that we've been in a bull market for 7+ years. When the downturn comes, these trollers, shillers and bidiots will be drowning in their greed.