PDA

View Full Version : T210 Orange Border Set Journey

Jason
05-20-2016, 08:01 AM
I am very excited to have finally finish off this subset I have been working on for five + years with my win of the REA complete set last month. The offered set had some very highly graded cards which with the ones I already owned would make for a very nicely conditioned set. Prior to the auction I was stuck at 18 of 20 examples of these factory errors with Munsell and Thebo being the last two needed. After not much thought I decided I was all in on the REA lot after speaking with Brian D at the Chantilly show about the cards. A big thank you to the REA staff for a very professional transaction all around.

This all started with a fellow board member and a good hobby friend J aka DixieBaseball selling me the first one. A SGC 50 Johnston and then a few others. Around that time he finished off the set which is still a top Net54 thread favorite of mine. I decided I wanted to go after the Orange 20 myself at that time. After a few years it became a reality that I could finish the set when I purchased a lot of 16 I believe from Brian M off Net54. With the duplicates out of that lot I had moved to 17 of 20 and thought it would be a breeze to add the 3 remaining with the OB's I had for trade bait. That was two years ago.

Within that time I posted want threads, searched eBay daily and check every auction house, I even sent random pm's to fellow collectors looking for the cards. I managed to pick up a Alexander card via a Auction House and narrowly missed on a Munsell on eBay. The only Thebo I saw was the mellow yellow out of this world example but thats another story all together. REA came along and the rest is history.

A big thank you to all those who have helped me with this set which if I am understanding correctly is the only one currently still together in existence. My son suggested a nice display case for them so I will probably be going that route soon. Also a huge thank you to Chris aka Net54's own atx840 for helping me with the collage. Seeing them all together like this is amazing! I love this hobby.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd408/TheT206Fiend/T210_zpsqybuq3sl.jpg (http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/TheT206Fiend/media/T210_zpsqybuq3sl.jpg.html)

Michael Peich
05-20-2016, 08:17 AM
Jason--

Kudos to you for putting together a fascinating tobacco card subset. Your narrative establishes your focus and devotion to finishing what is arguably one of the more difficult sets in our hobby.

I vote with your son--display these beauties!

Congratulations,
Mike

bocca001
05-20-2016, 08:38 AM
That's really cool, and it looks great. I've had a hard enough time finding the red border Houston and Galveston cards.

Congratulations.

fduran27
05-20-2016, 08:59 AM
Very cool set, May i ask the origins and back story?
I know i can google, but figured you guys would know more details.

brass_rat
05-20-2016, 09:11 AM
Nice job, Jason! Congrats on completing a project...must feel great!

I also like the back story...I know a lot of people can relate to the never-ending search on the board, eBay, and auctions.

(Side note, what does it say about my phone's autocomplete when it corrects "auctions" into "addictions" everytime? :D)

Cheers,
Steve

atx840
05-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Congrats Jason, finishing a tough subset is a great feeling.

Jeff1970Red
05-20-2016, 10:04 AM
Another example of why I really enjoy this board...thank you for the post

seablaster
05-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Now that's dope.

Jacker_ Cracks
05-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Congrats Jason! They look beautiful displayed together.

ValKehl
05-20-2016, 05:53 PM
Jason, congrats on achieving this tremendous accomplishment! It seems like only a year or so ago that you and I did a couple of deals back when you were first getting into T210s, but I realize that it has been several years - time sure does fly by!

Is my perception correct that you collect all 8 series of T210? If so, I'm curious to learn how far along you are for each of the 8 series, if you don't mind sharing this info.
Best,
Val

talkinbaseball
05-20-2016, 06:42 PM
That looks awesome, i'm still trying to win my first one.

john

sgbernard
05-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Really good looking set!

Jason
05-20-2016, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was a real fun journey. Mike I have an email coming your way soon!

Val, your assessment is correct. I am collecting all 8 Series. I am not going to hard on the Series 8 cards as to not compete with a few guys I know are after the Series. Basically im saving it for last but do have 25 or so of the easy ones. I have Series 2 complete, Series 4 3 cards away, Series 1,5, and 7 under ten cards each respectively. The T210 set as you know is 640. I am almost 2/3rds the way there at 423 different poses.

Also I would be remissed if I didnt mention another fellow board member who helped me out with a couple cards along the way. Thank you Rob D. I remember I passed on your high grade raw Billiard which turned out to be the SGC 70 from the REA set I think. Funny how cards seem to come back around sometimes.

bnorth
05-20-2016, 07:11 PM
Awesome cards Jason, congrats on getting all the OB cards in such nice condition.

tiger8mush
05-20-2016, 07:19 PM
awesome set Jason! Thanks for sharing pics and info. Good luck in your master T210 goal! Can't be many of those in existence.

Rob
:)

VintageJay
05-20-2016, 07:19 PM
Congrats, looks great!

05-20-2016, 10:46 PM
Congrats on a gorgeous set.

DixieBaseball
05-20-2016, 11:06 PM
Jason,

Congratulations - Those cards are in a great home. So Rare, and the condition is the part that gets overlooked. The condition for those cards is stellar and among the highest T210 Old Mills around.

Maybe, one day you can add the Mello-Yellow to your collection. ;)

Jason
05-21-2016, 06:50 AM
Jason,

Congratulations - Those cards are in a great home. So Rare, and the condition is the part that gets overlooked. The condition for those cards is stellar and among the highest T210 Old Mills around.

Maybe, one day you can the Mello-Yellow to your collection. ;)

Thank you J. The condition is a huge bonus. I would have settled for beaters as scarce as these are.

I look forward to having a chance for the Mellow Yellow one day maybe. I have read there is a Munsell as well. How sick would it be to put that sheet together again assuming others survived as well. I am happy with my partial even though it was well/not so well loved.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd408/TheT206Fiend/Jones%20Yellow_zpst7wjsrss.jpeg (http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/TheT206Fiend/media/Jones%20Yellow_zpst7wjsrss.jpeg.html)

abroome
05-21-2016, 11:13 AM
Thank you J. The condition is a huge bonus. I would have settled for beaters as scarce as these are.

I look forward to having a chance for the Mellow Yellow one day maybe. I have read there is a Munsell as well. How sick would it be to put that sheet together again assuming others survived as well. I am happy with my partial even though it was well/not so well loved.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd408/TheT206Fiend/Jones%20Yellow_zpst7wjsrss.jpeg (http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/TheT206Fiend/media/Jones%20Yellow_zpst7wjsrss.jpeg.html)
Seeing the Jones reminded me to ask about the caption variations between the red and orange borders.
The red border Jones I've seen and the one I have in my near set of series 3 is missing the A at the end of Oklahoma.
The OBs I have seen seem to have the A.
The red border Jones I have seen in person are consistent under a loupe.
As anyone seen a red Jones with the A?
If this is a consistent variation between the red and orange borders, it would stand to reason that the orange were possibly a seperate printing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Jason
05-21-2016, 02:52 PM
Hello Andy. The A on the Jones is quite the mystery and I welcome a discussion on it in this thread. I for one dont recall seeing a Red one with the A. I have had a few discussions on the topic. I dont believe it was a separate printing though at this time. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this mystery.

smtjoy
05-21-2016, 05:57 PM
Congrats Jason, that an awesome subset! Thanks for posting it and glad you have it completed!