PDA

View Full Version : Carefully examine any holders (slabs) that you get back from PSA.

The-Cardfather
05-13-2016, 06:19 PM
In November of 2013 (two and a half years ago), PSA touted their "new holders with increased security features." (See link below.)

http://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/7946/psa-introduces-safety-security-improvements-its-holders

Last July, while still a member of the PSA collector's club, I submitted 9 cards to be graded. Two of the nine graded cards were returned to me in the old-style holders. Long story short..... after I complained, PSA re-encapsulated these two cards in the new holders at no charge.

Although my PSA collector's club subscription has since expired, I submitted 11 PSA graded cards (in the old-style holders) for re-encapsulation last month. So, imagine my surprise when I realized that three of the eleven cards that I submitted were returned to me last week with the new labels and holograms, but in the old-style holders.

Frankly, I question why PSA would even have these old-style holders on hand, since they are obsolete.

At 7:40 AM (EST) Wednesday morning, I sent an e-mail to PSA expressing my dissatisfaction. I immediately recieved an auto-reply e-mail with the following statement: "We are currently experiencing a high volume of calls and emails, we will reply to your message as soon as possible but may be delayed in our response." It has now been three full business days since I sent my e-mail, but still no response.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

irv
05-13-2016, 07:52 PM
In November of 2013 (two and a half years ago), PSA touted their "new holders with increased security features." (See link below.)

http://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/7946/psa-introduces-safety-security-improvements-its-holders

Last July, while still a member of the PSA collector's club, I submitted 9 cards to be graded. Two of the nine graded cards were returned to me in the old-style holders. Long story short..... after I complained, PSA re-encapsulated these two cards in the new holders at no charge.

Although my PSA collector's club subscription has since expired, I submitted 11 PSA graded cards (in the old-style holders) for re-encapsulation last month. So, imagine my surprise when I realized that three of the eleven cards that I submitted were returned to me last week with the new labels and holograms, but in the old-style holders.

Frankly, I question why PSA would even have these old-style holders on hand, since they are obsolete.

At 7:40 AM (EST) Wednesday morning, I sent an e-mail to PSA expressing my dissatisfaction. I immediately recieved an auto-reply e-mail with the following statement: "We are currently experiencing a high volume of calls and emails, we will reply to your message as soon as possible but may be delayed in our response." It has now been three full business days since I sent my e-mail, but still no response.

I don't blame you. That is uncalled for and very deceptive/tricky imo. :mad:

chaddurbin
05-13-2016, 08:36 PM
if it's your cards and in your possession, not sure why you'd care which holder it's in? the increased security measures is to protect the buyers from scammers trying to slip thru bad cards/flips. the last thing i'd want these fragile cards is to go thru more exposure, shipping, handling where they can be damaged or lost...and you're burning shipping/reholdering money.

The-Cardfather
05-13-2016, 09:36 PM
if it's your cards and in your possession, not sure why you'd care which holder it's in? the increased security measures is to protect the buyers from scammers trying to slip thru bad cards/flips. the last thing i'd want these fragile cards is to go thru more exposure, shipping, handling where they can be damaged or lost...and you're burning shipping/reholdering money.

Chad,

I think you missed the whole point of my post. It was to warn others that PSA is still using the older/obsolete holders.

Frankly, I don't understand "why you'd care" (to use your own words) why I chose to have MY cards re-encapsulated.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

CW
05-13-2016, 09:42 PM
One concern might be during resale. If a buyer received a card with a hologram on the flip, but it had the old style holder, it might raise some concerns. Plus, if you pay for PSA's new added security then you should receive it.

BTW, cool nickname, Cardfather, and I like the Brando avatar as well.

begsu1013
05-13-2016, 09:57 PM

tribefan
05-13-2016, 10:16 PM
I got one back today. All new flips and the latest case. The only time this didn't happen for me was a tallboy sub right after the new cases were introduced, but they did tell me the tall boy slabs weren't ready yet.

glynparson
05-14-2016, 04:41 AM
Where these standard size holders or one of the odd ball inserts or baggies. i believe some of those were delayed in being delivered. I only started receiving the new holders sometime last year. I also only received the double serial numbered flips a few months ago. Also if i were as upset as you ae i think i would pick up the phone and call them. it is easy to ignore an email.

irv
05-14-2016, 08:26 AM
One concern might be during resale. If a buyer received a card with a hologram on the flip, but it had the old style holder, it might raise some concerns. Plus, if you pay for PSA's new added security then you should receive it.

BTW, cool nickname, Cardfather, and I like the Brando avatar as well.

Not that I have graded any cards yet, but that's what I'd be concerned/mad about too.

The-Cardfather
05-14-2016, 10:10 AM
Were these standard size holders or one of the odd ball inserts or baggies? I believe some of those were delayed in being delivered. I only started receiving the new holders sometime last year. I also only received the double serial numbered flips a few months ago. Also if i were as upset as you ae i think i would pick up the phone and call them. it is easy to ignore an email.

Glyn,

Two of them were 1940 Play Ball cards and one was a M116 Sporting Life card.
However, I did receive a 1939 Play Ball (same size as 1940) back in the new holder.

If I don't receive a response to my e-mail by Monday, I will definitely call them.

The-Cardfather
05-17-2016, 09:19 PM

UPDATE: Since I didn't get a response to my e-mail after nearly a full week, I finally called them. The gentleman I spoke with e-mailed me a Fed-Ex label to send back the three graded cards. It is my understanding that they will re-encapsulate them in the new, tamper-resistant holders at no charge to me. I will send them out - first thing in the morning.
I'll let y'all know if they somehow screw this up as well.

begsu1013
05-26-2016, 09:36 AM
thank you for posting this as....

it happened to me too.

free shipping label and correction, but still.

thanks for looking out again as i prolly woulda overlooked it

until i eventually got into scanning mode.

and prolly wouldn't have noticed until i started to do back scans.