PDA

View Full Version : Help ID Team this 1870s CDV

GregG
05-12-2016, 08:15 PM
Recently picked up this CDV. It was taken by a Lancaster PA photographer. Really clear image, neat hat, old ball. Does anyone recognize the player or have a guess as to the team?

Thanks,
Greg

vintagesportscollector
05-12-2016, 09:55 PM
I have no idea, but that's a great image.

GaryPassamonte
05-13-2016, 04:19 AM
This image is more than likely 1880s. What is interesting is that the letter "S" on the uniform appears to be reversed. Since cdvs are positive images and the other letters look right, this is strange.

ramram
05-13-2016, 10:14 AM
This image is more than likely 1880s. What is interesting is that the letter "S" on the uniform appears to be reversed. Since cdvs are positive images and the other letters look right, this is strange.

Exactly what I was thinking. Image looked like a tintype when I first looked at it (reverse image) and then I noticed the "N" is correct. Maybe the tailor had a bad day and put the "S" on backwards??

Rob M.

ksfarmboy
05-13-2016, 02:25 PM
I've noticed it's not all that uncommon to have a reversed letter sewn on a jersey. Seems to be the letters n and s mostly. I too thought it was a reversed image at first glance. Great image, nice pick up.

vintagesportflips
05-13-2016, 02:46 PM
My guess is that the lettering reads MSNS and stands for Millersville state normal school which later became Millersville university. Neat photo.

slidekellyslide
05-13-2016, 06:19 PM
I've noticed it's not all that uncommon to have a reversed letter sewn on a jersey. Seems to be the letters n and s mostly. I too thought it was a reversed image at first glance. Great image, nice pick up.

Definitely this. I mostly see the backward N. Illiteracy was not uncommon in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

buchner
05-13-2016, 07:44 PM
could be the #2 as it is cut differently than the M and N