PDA

View Full Version : T206 Wagner & Plank Values

DerekMichael
05-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Hi guys. I had already started this thread, but attempted to add a poll and really butchered it. Hopefully this one will work better.

I was thinking of a rather pointless topic in all honesty, however I am quite curious to hear the opinions of the community.

Assuming, just for a moment, that both the T206 Wagner & Plank were available in more common numbers (in other words, similar to what we see of all the other HOF subjects not considered to be unusually rare), how would you value them?

For example, on the Wagner, would he be able to fetch, say, roughly what a red Ty Cobb goes for, or would he be more in line with, say, Nap Lajoe and Tris Speaker?

In the case of Eddie Plank, given his credentials, could he come close to the big three of Cy Young, Walter Johnson, and Christy Mathewson, or would he be more in line with players the likes of Chief Bender, Rube Waddell, Mordecai Brown, Addie Joss, Ed Walsh etc. etc. ?

If this has already been discussed, I do apologize in advance.

Thank you for your input.

Respectfully,

Derek

bbcard1
05-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Wagner would be in line with Cobb...both are upper echelon players. Plank would likely be in the Mordecai Brown/Rube Waddell range, well below the Matty/Johnson range but higher than Vic Willis and some others.

JTysver
05-09-2016, 12:34 PM
I think Wagner is not quite at the Cobb level. Much of his legacy surrounds his card. I seriously don't think you would ever see a movie made about his life and they still don't write books about him today.
Ty Cobb is a household name today, 100 years after his playing days. The only thing most sports fans can tell you about Wagner is that he has a rare and valuable card.
Wagner was a great player, perhaps even better than Cobb, but doesn't hold the same value throughout the ages as Cobb does. He is to Cobb as Foxx is to Ruth.

Plank is just a Hall of Famer. Lots of wins etc. but not that talked about.

Pilot172000
05-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Love the Poll. I used to think that Wagner wasn't in Cobb territory but the more and more I read about the dead ball Era, I came to realize that he was definitely on that level. Then again I believe that Nap Lajoie should be closer to Cobb than he is so, there you have it.

rats60
05-09-2016, 01:54 PM
What about none of the above? I don't agree with any of your choices. I think Wagner is a lot more than red Cobb, more in line with green Cobb. I think Plank is equal to none of the players you listed, but in between like Speaker is less than Cobb, but more than lesser hofers.

Pilot172000
05-09-2016, 02:19 PM
I'm a believer that had there been Tris speaker, Home Run Baker or Shoeless Joe portraits in the T206 set the Wagner would at a minimum have been at that level which is at Red Cobb or just a hair below. A lot of the appeal to the Red & Green Cobbs is that they are very good looking cards. Most of the great hitters in the set don't have great looking portraits. Wagner does. The Plank has the exact opposite problem. All the BIG Pitchers have great portrait cards. Cy Young, Matty, WoJo, Brown, Joss, Bender and Willis all have desirable portraits and the Plank would just blend in with the rest.

glynparson
05-09-2016, 02:23 PM
I think Wagner is priced like Young, Jonson, Matty strong but not up to cobb levels. Plank would be on the level with bender.

DerekMichael
05-10-2016, 10:39 AM
What about none of the above? I don't agree with any of your choices. I think Wagner is a lot more than red Cobb, more in line with green Cobb. I think Plank is equal to none of the players you listed, but in between like Speaker is less than Cobb, but more than lesser hofers.

You raise fair points. Perhaps the way I went about this was a bit too basic.

It is too late to change it now unfortunately, and pathetically this thread was already my second attempt at getting a proper poll going. If I start a new thread or poll on this forum they may well kick me off :eek: :D Maybe tiers similar to the below would work better? ...

Wagner = Cobb (green)
Wagner = Cobb (red)
Wagner = Young, Matty, Johnson
Wagner = Lajoie, Speaker

Plank = Young, Matty, Johnson
Plank = Lajoie, Speaker
Plank = Brown, Bender, Waddell, Joss, Walsh, Marquard etc.

Anything to add? I do appreciate ideas which may improve the discussion.

I am very curious to hear the communities thoughts on how they value the iconic duo of Wagner & Plank and I look forward to hearing more thoughts on this subject.

Thank you truly to everyone for their input.

Derek

Pilot172000
05-10-2016, 02:46 PM
Wagner= Red Cobb
Plank= Mordecai Brown/Ed Walsh but more than Bender or Joss

BBB
05-11-2016, 12:48 AM
Wagner = young , plank = Lajoie +

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk